Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by hogger129, Sep 19, 2009.

1. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

I know next to nothing about Glocks. Held one. Feels like a good, comfortable, lightweight gun. I have been reconsidering a 9mm over a .45 for my first gun. What are some of Glocks better models? And would anyone suggest something other than a 9mm as a starter? My reasons for 9mm are that it's less expensive, it's more accurate, it's easier to get and most 9mm guns can hold more rounds in one magazine.

Kind of trying to keep price in mind also. Plan on using it for home defense. Would prefer something not really "full-size" either. Only guns I've really shot were a couple revolvers, a PT92, and a 1911. I really like 1911s, but I want something a little less powerful that I can get better with and work my way up to a 1911 or some other .45.

I like the slimness of the 1911 design, and I would look into a Browning Hi-Power, but again, I don't know really anything about the gun. Plus a Browning Hi-Power is kind of an old gun, wouldn't anyone agree? I hear Glocks can be pretty trouble-free guns if maintained properly.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If you can't afford a Ninja Glock, the next best thing is a Glock 19. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best pistol old Gaston ever made.

3. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

What is a Ninja Glock? Like I said, I know next to nothing about Glocks.

4. CA357

5. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

I agree. I still have mine, but carry a G23. The compact Glocks are the best balance of ergonomics and firepower IMO.

6. CA357

A G19 was my first semiautomatic pistol and my first Glock. My buddy has it now and it's still a great and dependable shooter.

My tastes have changed, and I'm pretty stuck on the 1911, but I'll never say a bad word about the 19. ;)

7. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Any good quality firearm will run properly if you take care of it.

If I were to purchase a Glock, it would be the Model 19. I personally don't like the Glocks much at all, but the Model 19 has about the best versatility out of the 9x19mm Glock offerings, in my opinion.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

What? You mean you don't want a Glock 20 and a GI Industries conversion to the vaunted .50 GI round?? :eek::confused:

9. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

.50GI = Useless gimmick = Wasted money

...nuff said.

10. subie-jeep

subie-jeep New Member

Glock 19.i have one,not to big,not to small,light weight,reliable.some think they are ugly but i love the way they look.

11. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

How does it stack up for a conceal carry weapon? I know conceal carry is illegal in my state, but SHOULD it be legalized, maybe I can add this to my collection with a 1911 later down the road.

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Depends, what's in your collection now?

13. subie-jeep

subie-jeep New Member

well i don't have a permit,but i can put it in my waistband or in my front pocket :p and its gone,and because of its weight you hardly notice it.

14. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

If you like the 1911 design but want a 9mm.... why don't you just get a 1911 in 9mm. Just about every company that makes 1911s offers them in 9mm.

15. CA357

I had a Springfield EMP back when I had money. It was a great pistol.

16. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

The only reason I consider something besides a 1911 is because people on here have told me that some of them require adjustment to get them right. Are there any 9mm that are good right out of the box that you aren't going to pay an arm and a leg for? I heard Springfield XDs are nice. I don't know how big they are compared to the Glock 19 though.

NGIB, it seems you have a lot of experience with handguns. What do you suggest for a good starter weapon for a 9mm that won't require alot of tinkering?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2009
  17. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Hogger129, I'm going to give you one last suggestion/piece of advice - grow up and act like an adult. I find the post above stupid and childish, how do you ever expect to be taken seriously when you make these posts?

I'm done...

18. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Not really a glock guy. I personally don't like them. They are quality guns, but feels like a brick in my hands. If you are looking for a caliber between the 9mm and the 45, how about the 40caliber. You can also fit a lot of rounds in a clip. I've got a beretta px4 that fills the void of composit guns in my safe. Ergonomically if fits my hands very well and it comes with 3 interchangable backstraps to fit your hand. It holds 14 round in the 40.

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

If you can shoot and hit your target all you need is 3 shots 2 in the heart 1 in the head.

Why you need 45 million rounds of ammo in a mag is beyond me. Plus the more ammo you stuff in a mag the harder it becomes to load the mag.

hogger i would tell you that maybe you need to stick to the bb and or cap guns for now.

Man that new math is really screwing up our kids today.

They now think |_________________________________| that is 7".

20. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

I do act like an adult because I am an adult. You make a big deal over nothing all the time.

I just came on here to find more about guns, talk about them and give my 2 cents. I did not come on here to take ****.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009