Suggestions on a trainer for a 6 year old?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Wiebelhaus, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Any suggestions on a trainer air rifle for a 6 year old boy, something strong enough to be taken seriously but not weak enough to see the pellet/bb flop out of the front, how do these .177 hit a target at 20/30 yards?

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Get either a Remington airmaster or a powerline 880. And they hit very hard at that distance. The two I mentioned are pumps so it is dependent on how may times it is pumped up and how many times said 6 year old is capable of pumping it.

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i have a crossman .22 pellet rifle... not twenty minutes ago i killed a woodchuck with it at about 20yards

one shot into the neck

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I wouldn't give that to a 6 year old jj. Want some help killing chicks w a pellet rifle? I haven't killed anything bigger than a chipmunk w my new gamo hornet:'(

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i got my air rifle when i was 11. i would use one or two pumps and shoot it into a pellet trap in the basement. its a pump with a max fps of about 600. how is this not a good choice compared to the other two already mentioned that im sure reach a higher fps than that?

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ah I thought you ment you had a break barrel. Yes the other two do shoot faster.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

BTW. 3 more chucks running around.. come sit with me in my sniper nest. hehe

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Done. Be there soon;) in my mind I'm there anyways:(

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

6 year old boy? I'm thinkin' cap gun and GI Joes...

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

6 is a good age for a kid to start out supervised w an air rifle

11. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

We'll be doing this together, He's not old enough mentally to be let loose with an air rifle but he watches me shoot and he's just dying to call something his, he was fully ready to step up and shoot a 22 a couple of weekends ago and he did it with confidence and without one shred of fear, almost too confident.

This weekend while we were going fishing, I took my side arm out and set it on the truck gate and pulled my hat off and set it on top of it. I turned around briefly and when I spun back around he was lifting my hat off trying to get a look, So I had to reiterate that he CANNOT touch the weapons without me or his uncles around, so then I safety checked the firearm and let him hold it and show me how to unload it while I asked him questions about basic operation, I almost started to cry when he pointed it in a safe direction and popped the cylinder and looked into it like a jeweler looking at a diamond, I need to get something for him to shoot because I can tell it's killing him and I need to quell that interest before he tries to sneak off......before anyone asks, everything is locked up tight when I'm not around.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My son started with a small lever action. It was like a red ryder but smaller. He wasnt much older than that when he moved up to a Marlin single shot 22. He was shooting semi-auto by the time he was 9 or so. He is safer than most adults I know.

Glad to hear you are starting him early. Just remember to teach basic safety. It will really pay off later. When we go to the range my son is about the only one there I am not worried about. He is 13. He can give me a run for my money too.

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Sounds like you got it all straight and a good start made.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

what about starting him out with one of those Chipmunk model single shot 22's? i don't see anything wrong with starting with an air rifle and a single shot 22.

15. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

I would if it didn't mean we have to travel to a range or shooting area every day till the nostalgia wears off, little man would obsess over it for a while. If we could shoot cans in the back yard for awhile, I'm sure his fancy would be tickled pink.

16. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

What about an air soft. Some of them pack a pretty good punch on paper targets at a fair distance. Get a gas model and they are accurate replicas of the real thing right down to safeties and mag releases. They even cycle like real guns but they're a bit safer than bullets or bb's.

17. triggerjob

triggerjob New Member

I practice point shooting in my back yard with an airsoft gun, and they are great. Relativly safe for a kid, the good ones have the weight and feel of a real firearm.

I would get a gas operated one for a kid to mak it harder to use un supervised.

18. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Him? How about me!? Get in line buddy. I ordered one in .22 Mag for myself a coupla months ago -- they can't be had.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

wouldn't know anything about other areas as far as availability. my dealer has a few of them on his shelves.