Suggestions on a Marlin Model 60

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by lukeisme, Apr 11, 2010.

1. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

This model 60 jams no matter what. I have cleaned and oiled it ten ways to tuesday. When I cycle it quickly it jams. When I cycle it slow it does not. It seems to me the rnd is not getting picked up all the way. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions as to what it might be.

bentammo.JPG

jammedrnd2.JPG

jammedrnd.JPG

2. MrShotty

MrShotty New Member

Oh thats not good. I'd take it to a gunsmith.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

1st, give it a darn good cleaning & oiling. If that doesn't help it looks like the lifter isn't raising the cartridges enough-possibly a weak spring.

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Good suggestion....you beat me to it.

Not worthy of posting.

5. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

I don't see the ejector lifter spring in any of the photos.. Could it be still behind the bolt?

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Gotta agree with Bear the casing should not be bent up like that. It looks like its getting crushed by the bolt before it feeds into the chamber. Could be a dangerous situation if one of those cooks off in the receiver with an open bolt. I would recommend having it inspected by a gunsmith before using it again.

7. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

As near as I can tell the ejector lifter spring stays under the bolt. I ordered a new spring, ejector and throat for it. Worse comes to worse I have to take it to a gunsmith with my tail between my legs and give em a blank check. But most the things that I have learned in my life I have had to learn the hard painful way. Its like I tell my boys all the time, Education isn't cheap or painless. It shouldn't be cause then everyone would know everything. :D

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Not to be a smartass but are you using the correct ammo? You don't sound like a noob but just in case, all .22 is not the same. Make sure that you have the proper cartridge.

9. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

Yeah, oh yeah that was my first thought when it started happening. Since I have a buch of old CCI Mini-Mag and thats what I shoot most of the time I thought it was just getting old, but it cycles just fine through another 60, a Glenfield 75,a Rugar 10/22 and a Mossberg Plinkster without a hitch. I went and bought some bright shiney new .22 LR and still the same result. BTW yes I understand there are different 22 rnds not just makers ;) Thank you for the suggestion though. We are all sometimes guilty of missing the obvious!

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

How about the mag tube spring or mag tube its self?

11. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Don't know what year model 60 it is, but there are a few things particular to older models that changed in newer models. The first two letters of the serial number determine age. Post those and we can tell you how old it is.

The pics are so out of focus I can't see what's happening in there. Sooooo...

1. If it's over 15 years old, start by replacing springs. Not just the lifter spring, but also the recoil & mag springs. Numrich/Brownell's/etc usually have 'em in stock. But MARLIN CUSTOMER SERVICE usually costs less ;)
    Here's a Picture Breakdown for the Model 60...shows you total dissasembly.
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,24657.0.html

2. Check the feed throat for gouges/holes/rust. Any imperfections that would slow a bullet from sliding properly up into the chamber. Check the chamber entry...

3. Grab some fake .22 rounds (blue ones) from your local gun store...that way you can test without injuring yourself if something bad happens.

Taking it to a gunsmith WOULD be helpful if you are not familiar with working on guns...as these are rimfires and screwed up things like this that occur COULD cause the round to fire WITHOUT the action being In Battery (fully closed) and that can be MIGHTY FREEKING BAD.

Ever see a bullet riccochet off the inside of a barrel??
    Guess where it's going next...towards YOU or whoever's standing to yer right...

If In Doubt...SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY. Better than a trip to the hospital.

12. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

Got it fixed!! I installed the new lifter, lifter spring and feed throat. Man I forgot how fast those little babys can shoot. Guys thank you for all the suggestions.