Suggestions on a 22 pistol for my son

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by eborden1122, Nov 21, 2012.

1. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My son is turning 10 in a few weeks and wants a 22 pistol. He already has a 22 rifle that he shoots very well. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 22 pistol that he can plink with at the range when he is with me? Thank you for any suggestions.

2. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Those Ruger target pistols kina pricy but there realy nice to shoot. I cant remember the models think there the MK series

edit: mark 3 series

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012

3. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Ruger.
    I have several.
    Love them all.

4. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

5. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I add to the Ruger suggestion.

Attached Files:

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

While semi-auto is nice, I believe that the single action revolver is best for the first.

The chances of picking up the bad habit of "spray and pray" is avoided.
    The basics have to be emphasized and things like flinching can be seen when trying to get the 7th shot out of a 6 shooter.

7. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Ruger SR22 period..

8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah, Ruger is the 22 king in my opinion. Walther makes a cool one, heard about reliability issues with it though.

Heritage makes that cool convertible 22lr/22mag revolver. Pretty sure Ruger does as well.

And of course theres the awesome 1911 platform like the GSG posted above. I'd probably go that route were I you.

Second would be the Ruger mk3 22/45

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Ruger MK II or MKIII is fine.

The first .22 handgun that was handed down to me was a S&W K-22. It was nice because I could work on single and double action, it had great sights, and no mags to lose. It was a great backpacking gun too. Added a few rabbits to the camp diet on occassion.

10. maddoccanis

maddoccanis New Member

Yeah, I like the idea of a SA revolver as a first handgun. How about a Ruger Bearcat? Isn't that what they call the small one4?....doc

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yes the Bearcat is a great little pistol. They can sometimes be harder to find than the Single Six. But both of those are great too, if you want a revolver in single action only.

12. Malan35

Malan35 New Member

My first pistol was a Ruger Mark II. Dad bought it for me when I was 14. Great shooting gun and fun to learn on. Still shoot it on occasion for old times sake.

13. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Revolver or auto, if it says "Ruger" on the side you are good to go.

14. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i have several ruger .22s. and have shot several others. for a young one i would suggest the ruger single six. its has a great trigger and is very accurate. i think it helps teach the basics better than a semi would. as stated it has no mag to lose, and empty brass is easyier to find ;)

15. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

My son really likes the Taurus 94 small frame. It is DA/SA 9-shot. He shoots it really well. He an't seem to hit with my Colt 1911 .22 but does well with the Ruger Mark III 22/45 that is topped with a red dot. I would go with a revolver if I were you. Ruger would probably be my pick but the Taurus is nice for the smaller hands.