Suggestions needed!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by YoungBuck25, Feb 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. YoungBuck25

YoungBuck25 New Member

I am looking to take on my first fix up firearm. I am looking to buy a used gun that I can replace parts on fairly easily and parts are readily available. I'm hoping to also be able to put upgraded parts on. I have not done any upgrades on my firearms before, but I do have a background in industrial maintenance. I am looking for suggestions on gun models to look for. I'm leaning more towards a rifle, possibly a shot gun. Not too much a pistol. Tips are appreciated also.

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

AR-15 rifle.

Semi-auto or pump shotgun.

Imurhuckleberry likes this.

3. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

Get enough guns, and you'll wind up being an "accidental armorer". Spring replacements,
    scope mounts, firearms dis-assemblies for deep cleaning, mag release button shortening
    and adjustments, sight rail removals and installations, sling installations, you'll see.

Imurhuckleberry and 67stingray like this.
  4. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

hit the gun stores, pawn shops and gun shows for fixer up or project guns. plenty of them around if you get out there looking for them. many times they can be bought pretty cheaply.

Imurhuckleberry likes this.
  5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Buy a Mosin and have one in a million. Customize a Remington 700 or Mossburg 500 and have the only one in the world. ;)

Danoobie and Imurhuckleberry like this.
  6. Imurhuckleberry

Imurhuckleberry Well-Known Member

Rugers 10/22's, browning buck marks, rugers mk2 and 3 are good firearms to start with. Buy a cheap used rifle that needs its barrel and metal parts blued so you can learn the process of bluing and refinishing your own firearms something with the stocks something you can sand and re-stain and get dents out.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    MisterMcCool and Dallas53 like this.
  7. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

The Ruger 10-22 is a good plinker that has endless options for upgrades, look at $200 for a hood used find. ARs are Legos for grown-ups starting around $450. Mossy 500 or 870 shotguns open up lots of options, starting around $200-250. Remington 700s have a plethora of aftermarket goodies available, starting price is $400-650, which is regional per caliber it seems.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A ruger 10-22 is the cheapest to buy and the most expensive to build. The options are endless and some very expensive. Mine is pretty basic but I still changed the trigger, the stock a few times and now the sights for the 3rd or 8th time. As my needs change so does the 10-22 and that is the beauty of it.

MisterMcCool and Dallas53 like this.
  9. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

My girlfriend told me I was one in a million. Turned out she was right...:D

MisterMcCool and PaBushMan like this.
  10. YoungBuck25

YoungBuck25 New Member

It's looking a lot like I'm going to be looking for a mossy 500 with the 8 shell tube. What are some websites that have plenty of accessories/ upgrade parts?

11. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

check out Brownell's and MidwayUSA. both carry lots of parts and accessories for the Mossberg 500.

YoungBuck25 likes this.