Suggestions for the 357 rifle.

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by gadrooning, Sep 22, 2009.

1. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Thinking about buying a Marlin 357 lever action rifle. Does anyone have any experience? Does the 38 feed correctly? How accurate is it at 100 yrds? Do you have any other suggestions. I am specifically looking for a 357 rifle.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Personally I would avoid the micro-groved Marlins. The cowboy series has Ballard (cut) rifling so you can shoot cast bullets if the need/want arises.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

+1 What Robo said. I had a Marlin 1894CS and it was a kick in the pants.

4. utelme

utelme New Member

Rossi makes a pump action >357 patterned after the old coltlightning. dont know much about them tho they sound like a fun gun. I think it's called the thunderbolt

5. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

The microgroove/cast bullet scare stories are just that. If you slug the bore and use bullets sized accordingly, use a harder alloy and a gas check with strong front driving band the microgroove will shoot just as well as any "conventional" rifled barrel. People oft repeat what they hear without any substantiation and it becomes the gospel, such is the case.

6. Tuner

Tuner New Member

Dcomf is right on track. I have an 1894 in .44 Mag. micro groove and shoot cast bullets in it all the time with three shot groops running uner 2 inches at 100 yards. I can't do any better with jacketed slugs and the cast performance on game has been outstanding.