Suggestions for searching the forum

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by theferg2000, Oct 5, 2010.

1. theferg2000

theferg2000 New Member

I am new to the forum, and even though i owned and operated a web design and software development company for 10 years (sold it at the beginning of this year), I wanted to get a few suggestions for searching the forum.

For example i was wanting to know "do you have to ship gun parts to a dealer".

Typing that in, all of the words are considered generic or too short. I have had a few questions that i wanted to look up first to be certain they had not been asked already, but i could not find a way to reword them that would give me a good search return.

While i was in that industry for a long time, after you have worked on a computer 12 - 16 hours that day... your not really "in" to playing around on it after you are done... you just want to get away from the dang computer!!!! This is the first forum i have ever even joined.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Try putting the whole phrase in quotes.

As to your question, you can ship or mail any parts that are not considered the "firearm". For example, you could mail a slide or a barrel with no problem but the frame of the gun IS the gun so it would have to be treated as such...

3. theferg2000

theferg2000 New Member

When i put the question in quotes (at least so far with all my questions) i get zero results. But your suggestion got me thinking. What about putting parts of the question in quotes (i.e. group the entire question in two or three word quotes - "do you" "have to" "ship gun parts" "to a dealer" - i know this is not the best example)? Any one have good results this way?

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

You trying to search threads or posts?

I usually will use the advanced search then put in keywords and tell it to look in specific parts of the forum. If I don't find results I will widen the net by checking whole sections or the entire forum. I've found search engine tricks don't work as well on the forum search but I still try them from time to time..Old habits and all. :)

Lexington eh? You're not too far off...I'm just down 75 a ways....

5. theferg2000

theferg2000 New Member

I have been going to the advanced search and just using the default suggestion "Search Entire Post".

I tried even typing in exactly as shown: "ship gun parts" dealer

and my new post was the only one that came up. I would guess this has been answered more than once before. But maybe not.

We just move from a log cabin in Georgetown back to Lexington, are you further north or south?

Also thanks NGIB for answering the question i was looking for.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  6. GrumpyPine

GrumpyPine New Member

I posted this solution in a similar thread:

User Google to search the site. It won't truncate your search string.

You would type: "site:firearmstalk.com ship gun parts"