Featured Suggestions for pricing

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by TankTop, Mar 22, 2020.

1. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

I think I’m going to sell my Gucci build and I want suggestions on what I should ask as there’s another craze going on. I’m thinking $2,500 and it sells in an hour, maybe $3,500 and it sells in a week. Who knows though, maybe I put a ridiculous price on it and see what happens, who’s got a suggestion?

Parts list:

SMOS builder kit, upper lower and 15” rail. This is really a Noveske gen 3

Noveske Afghan Barrel

Noveske LPK with SSA-e trigger

Superlative Arms adjustable gas block

Lewis Machine Tool enhances bolt carrier

PWS enhances buffer tube

Geissele Super 42 with H1 buffer

B5 Sopmod stock

BCM mod 3 charge handle

Surefire Warcomp

Some random Magpul grip

I planned on putting a Silencer on it and NF optic to Finnish off the rest of the pixie dust but I think I’ll just find myself a built $1,200 AR and buy a silencer when the dust settles. Maybe a Steiner P4XI....

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Good luck,Home built AR's don't have much of a resale value. I'd be surprised if it would bring 50% of what you have in it.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Supply and demand do have a way of changing accepted prices.

TankTop and Gatoragn like this.
  4. TankTop

You might be surprised what I have in it. I bought the Noveske Stainless Afghan barrel new for $200 and the SMOS upper, lower and rail for $300 new. Everything else I got slight discounts except for the LMT E-carrier, those never go on sale and you see them marked up often

towboater likes this.
  5. TankTop

I don’t look at it as gouging, it’s a free market exchange, nowhere near as valuable as toilet paper. Plus this thing is one bad Mo Fo, I’ve never seen a build like mine. Unnecessary, absolutely!

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I don’t have as much of a problem with prices being elevated during increased demand (within reason). They actually prevent hoarding, which I find to be as bad as true gouging (like cheaper than dirt bumping prices up on ammo immediately to 5 or more times, their value).

worst are the hoarders who then turn to become gougers.

I had seriously considered buying a case of P-mags in January, just as an investment to sell at a reasonable markup as the election got near. (Predictable bump in gun buying each cycle). I wouldn’t have gone full a-hole, but it could have generated some reasonable return to roll into my next firearm purchase.

I mean, I bought Mosin Nagants when the market was flooded and sold them after the supplies dried up. No obscene profits, but I didn’t lose money on them.

OLD Ron likes this.
  7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Hard to say what anything will bring right now. I have an AR on consignment. Nothing fancy side charger but I am including a cheap scope, 5 new Lancer 30 round mags and 200 rounds of Federal 55 grain. Ammo is scarce so it is a draw. I am looking for $700 in my pocket if it sells. Also considering selling out my 40 cal. G23 gen 4 with nite sites plus Keltec Sub2k gen 2 with G23 grip. 4- 13 round mags, 3- 30 round mags, 9mm conversion barrel for the G23, 500 rounds fmj and 500 round HP. Thinking about $1200. They would go quick in a big city but here I dont know. Require ccw to sell since they dont require nics. Play it safe. That is why the AR is on consignment.
    I was going through my ammo boxes today looking for 40 and found 750 Winchester white box 115 grain HP I forgot about.

OLD Ron and towboater like this.
  8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

The problem is Frankengun's really don't have any value in the market. You can buy the best components made,and there's no guarantee that it will (1) Shoot good (2) Be reliable and function correctly (3) Absolutely NO warranty (4) The buyer doesn't know if the builder knows how to correctly assemble the gun,or if it's the first gun he put together. (5) If you have shot the gun,it is now a Used Frankengun,and is worth even less money.

bill460 and JRDallas like this.
  9. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Today one local gun dealer is selling AR 15s as fast as he can get them in, or built , for 1200.00 and up.

towboater likes this.
  10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Tank

Where is the pictures? And supply and demand is the key. Back when the scare was on concerning the AR-15s possibly being band some of them were bringing $2500.00.
    A buddy of mine in Texas sold 8 of them to one guy at his table at a Gun Show. He discounted each of them to the guy for buying all 8, at $2300.00 ea. And the guy peeled out $100 dollar bills on the spot. So things can certainly control the price!;)

11. TankTop

Now in Colorado nobody is selling anything, shut down!

12. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

There was a decent built unfired FrankenAR on Armslist a couple weeks ago, he wanted $400 for it. Low prices now are $550 for the budget factory builds.

Mosins have gone up a bunch in the last week or so, they are asking $450-500 for them.

13. JTJ

That side charger I had on consignment sold. Put $800 in my pocket. Actually made a couple bucks on it. It went out the door for $950 + tax. Still thinking of selling off my 40 cal.
    Loaded 150 357 mag today. If I found a Ruger 77/357 at a decent price I might buy it.

14. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Buy a Marlin. Remember me in your will.

OLD Ron likes this.
  15. JTJ

I have a Marlin 1894CS 357.

16. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Cool! Can I have it when you're dead?

17. bill460

bill460 New Member

A lot of people shy away from home built AR's. This regardless of the components, or what they cost, or their alleged quality. The gun is only as good as the person's knowledge level who built it. And no one knows what that is.

It's a bit like a shade tree mechanic with 2 left thumbs using "quality parts" to do a tune up. It really isn't going to matter because again, the parts are only as good as the person who's installing them. And today there are simply too many, "kitchen table gunsmiths" out there, who are building a lot of unreliable junk.

JTJ likes this.
  18. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

I am one of the kitchen table guys I guess but what I build is for me to shoot . Not as a business or source of income . It is a great hobby & a way to learn about what I am shooting . In the past when I was shooting a lot I had a smith do what I wanted because I didn't have the time to mess with things . Now I have the time & figure why not learn how to do it myself .
    Always with my safety in mind .
    I am way to purdy to mess it up now !
    :p
    Putting a dollar figure on anything takes the fun out of owing it .

Rifling82 and PeeJay1313 like this.