suggestions for new revolvers

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by deathkricket, Dec 5, 2009.

1. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Looking for a new revolver with a 4" barrel and in 357, it will be mainly a self defense weapon. Im looking for low cost but still good quality,i know you get what you pay for but something like the EEA windicator would be nice. just want some suggestions for cheap but good manufacture's names.the only kinda revolvers i cant stand are the broom handle type like below.

http://www.weaponsofchoicetheatrical.com/modern58.jpg

2. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

The "broom handle" revolver stocks that you don't like can be easily switched for something that fits you better, so don't let that be a deal breaker.

What's your budget for this gun?

I'd go for either a Ruger GP100 or a Smith & Wesson 686. They are both strong and accurate, if a new one is too expensive, look at some used ones there are plenty out there in great condition.

3. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

As i have a few revolvers already im not looking for anything extravigant, i have a taurus judge public defender, EEA windicator and a GP100, all the ones i have i bough saying this will be my beat up tackle box gun but i become to fond of them and end up babying them :D so im looking for a revolver pref is new and price at most is like 350 so i can have a gun i wont feel bad about droping. i just found at about european american arms bout a year ago when i bought my windicator so im sure there are many gun companys out there i havent herd of yet. where i live in WA a used revolver such as the S&W in beat ass condition runs about,well iv never seen one under 500,even rugers used all banged up run around 450 to 500, thats the only thing thats stop me so far from owning a S&W is i dont like paying for the "name", and to put a stop to bash replys about S&W are the best and reliable etc, i know they have good QC but dont tell me you dont pay for the name as its one of the and top manufaturers, we would all like to be able to afford the Korth revolver but some just want a beat up gun.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

5. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Get a used S&W Model 65 police turn in and never look back. S&W peaked with that gun, and ones in excellent condition are within your budget. Carried a lot, shot little, and stainless so it won't rust away in your tackle box.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Look for a Ruger Security Six or Speed Six. They should be in your price range and they are stout, dependable revolvers.

7. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

cool, ill look around for any of the above said guns.Thx for the suggestions

8. shirt001

shirt001 New Member

9. Westy

Westy New Member

If you're looking for a reliable, fairly priced revolver that will hold up like a tank and has a great reputation, I would consider the Ruger GP100. Plenty of posts here on them, and they can be found on gunbroker for $300-400.

Two on the right in the picture-one stainless and one black.

Attached Files:

10. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

If you want something to be proud of and last forever, get a Ruger or a Smith. The GP100 is an excellent choice. You should also be able to find a security six used for a great price. If you are patient and be diligent in your search eventually a good Smith will pop up for around $500.

11. shirt001

shirt001 New Member

The Ruger GP100 is a great revolver. I have a nice 6" blued. I recommended the Taurus because the oringinal post was asking for a low priced knock around weapon. No offense, but you won't find a new GP100 on gunbroker for $300-$400. As a matter of fact, gunbroker in my opinion does not offer any deals, like most gun shows now, they end up at retail prices. Just about any respectable gun manufactuer offers a line of revolvers that will outlive all of us. Just my 2 cents.

12. CA357

I don't want to get in a pissing contest, but I personally stay away from Taurus. That's why I recommended the Rugers.

13. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

i already have a GP100 and i baby it to much, thats why im looking for a new cheap revolver i can beat up such as this one which i found last night.and yes its a 357 and comes with a 4" barrel that fires from the bottom of the cylinder.

Chiappa Firearms

14. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Same here. We could (and have) argue over the quality and benefits of Taurus or other lesser firearm companies for days, but with Ruger, you know what your gonna get. I don't why anyone would feel the need to "baby" a GP100. I have dropped my SP101 once and you should see the dent it put on my floor.:eek: Not a scratch on the gun.

15. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

My GP100 is one of my favroite guns, more so then my glock, every time i go to the mountains i take it with me. I would feel bad about climbing down to the river and it slip somehow and go banging down the rocks, aside from the fact i paid a good penny for it.:D

16. shirt001

shirt001 New Member

May I ask why you don't like the Taurus? Do you own one?

17. shirt001

shirt001 New Member

Hey Deathkricket,
    These revolvers are not priced yet. the manufacturer is supposedly out of business. They are supposed to go for close to $2000.00. I might be wrong, but that is what some other sites have been discussing.

18. northhike

northhike New Member

If you have a GP 100 that should be all you need.....even if you are prone to rolling in dirt. ;)

Since guns are in high demand these days you are probably not going to find one that is good quality and cheap. Maybe if you are lucky and hunt around some classified ads on some of the online forums or an onlinne gun store, but otherwise you probably going to pay $300+ unless its a .22 calibur gun.

You said it was for self defense, but what does that mean? Is this a CC gun or just a woods walker? I assume its the latter, but even then I woulld take the GP 100 and not worry about dirt.....they are easy to clean and unless you plan on selling it a few nicks and scratches give it character. :D

19. CA357

Shirt, I'll send you a PM. I don't want to hijack the OP's thread.

20. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

IF you take your time, you could find a COLT Python, Trooper, or a King Cobra at a reasonable price. I have a stainless steel King Cobra with a 4" barrel. The action is smooth as glass, and you can fire +P .357 Magnums in it all day. I wouldn't trade my Colt for a dozen other .357's. OK, maybe a 686 Smith & Wesson...