Suggestions for first pistol

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mvilla888, Jan 3, 2014.

1. mvilla888

mvilla888 New Member

Hello all. After doing some shooting with my family over the holidays, I'm looking to take the plunge into owning my first pistol. Looking for any and all advice with the following criteria:

1) Pistol, not a revolver.
    2) target > home defense > concealed carry
    3) need to be reasonable for my wife to shoot. Need her to be comfortable with it in a time of need
    4) safe and reliable

Would like to keep the price tag under $500 to lessen any wife anger.

New or used, doesn't matter as long as the gun is safe and reliable.

Many thanks for any and all responses.

Mike

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Most fun and an excellent trainer (though light for stopping power) would be a Ruger SR-22 pistol.
    Or if you need a centerfire then Ruger has many choices like the SR9.

3. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Glock 9MM (17 or 19) or S&W M&P 9MM. Either of those two are good guns and will serve you well.

New or used, if not abused, both of those guns will keep shooting for a really long time with minimal maintenance.

4. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

what hiwall said...Ruger SR9 is under $500, dependable and shoots low cost 9mm allowing lots of practice which is really the key no matter what gun you shoot.

There are two things that give an armed, law abiding citizen a definite advantage in most gun fights...first, you typically are defending something VERY precious to you be it a friend, family member or your own life...secondly, law abiding citizens tend to practice ALOT more than thugs and shoot better.... practice, practice and more practice.

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

S&W Shield will meet all three of your criteria in one handgun. Well under $500.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

new to pistols? i would highly suggest starting with a 22 first, then working up to larger centerfire calibers like a 9mm. a 22 is much cheaper and easier to learn the basics of pistol shooting and to build a good foundation on for larger calibers.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Everything you learn from a .22 can be applied to a larger caliber.

Do not get into the "spray and pray". That wastes ammo.

On the range for informal practice, I load only 5 rounds at a time. I am then forced to reload. This gives me time to evaluate what I am doing wrong. And it makes my range time longer.

8. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

I do the same thing with regard to loading only 5 rounds...mostly anyways. Slows me down, allows me to enjoy more range time and helps me troubleshoot any accuracy issues I have. I have a Springfield XDM 5.25 in 9mm and the magazine holds 19 rounds...just imagine going through a box of ammo with 2 and half magazine loads :eek:

9. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

.22lr. is generally a great recommendation for a first pistol, however with the lack of .22lr. ammo availability, at this time, I am recommending a 9mm.

One pistol that covers every one of your criteria is the Ruger SR9c. I recommend you and your wife try several different platforms and calibers, including the 9c.

Enjoy the process and be safe!

And a Penn's Woods welcome to FTF!

10. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

I have this "problem" ha ha...

Lots of good suggestions. I will be 100% honest and tell you for years all I would shoot was 22LR, because I had put up a mental block that I wasn't strong enough to shoot a bigger pistol or rifle. Well I was wrong. I got a Beretta PX4 Storm (around 500) in 9mm, the sub-compact model. I carry with the 17 round magazines which allows for a full size grip feel. Now I can go out and easily go through a few hundred rounds, pick up the AR15 and go through as many magazines as I want to and move to the 20GA shotgun.

Alot of women want to really learn and practice without judgement. If you are a good teacher, and you guys can work together well (hey don't laugh alot of people can't!) then by all means take her to the range and learn together. If you are a newbie, and so is she, get the gun of choice and buy yourselves a class at a reputable range. Impartial teacher, and you'll learn together.

11. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

I'm agreeing with eatmydust and say a 9mm because of low amount of .22 lr ammunition ...a smith and Wesson m&p 9mm or a 40 cause instead of buying a whole new gun when u want to go to a bigger caliber u can get the smith and wesson m&p 40 and buy a 9mm conversion barrel which also plays well if u just want to go out and shoot cause 9mm ammo is cheaper just my suggestion

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app

12. vincent

vincent New Member

I do that as well. It helps me make every shot count...plus saves on ammo...;) (And some days it's easy to get frustrated when things aren't going as planned, and blow through the whole mag out of annoyance...:eek:)

OP-Curious as to why a revolver is not a consideration???:confused:

Experienced Vincent would tell greenhorn Vincent to start shooting a wheelgun in D/A first, then work up from there as those skills are transferrable to a semi-auto. Not so much the other way around...:cool:

13. mvilla888

mvilla888 New Member

Wow, I hadn't expected such a great response. Thank you all.

A little more about me and the situation...I was around guns as a child as my dad was and still is an avid hunter. He took me out deer hunting a few times, but sitting in the rain a few years, not seeing anything and hitting my teen years ended the hunting career of my youth. Most of that experience was with rifles, and a pellet pistol my frothier and I had for shooting cans in the backyard.
    Now, with a family and such, as well as shooting pistols with my dad , brother and my kids over the holidays has me thinking of picking a pistol for home protection and target practice. My 8 yr old son had a great time shooting a .22 rifle as well...all he talks about for the last few days.
    Anyway, I'm just doing the research I typically do before a purchase like this. So I thank you all for the suggestion...I've been looking at every gun you've all suggested.

14. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Go to sporting goods stores and handle and if poss. shoot as many platforms as poss. before your purchase.