Suggestions for building a new rifle?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by d3athsid3, Jun 28, 2011.

1. d3athsid3

d3athsid3 New Member

I'm thinking of building either a new AR pistol or 6.8 SPC or perhaps a .50 Beowulf. Right now I have a strip Spike Tactical lower receiver, a YHM strip upper, and M.O.E Magpul buttstock on hand.

This is one of the custom ARs I've built from scratch.
    My Custom AR

I'd appreciate any advice for this project. Thanks for your time!

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

d3athsid3

Nice on the blue rifle.
    6.8 is a good round but as far as the Beowulf I would think more in the direction of the 458 SOCOM. Ammo is easier to get a little less expensive and it is not produced by only one company. Bill and them are great people but I like having a little more latitude when it comes to finding ammo and the price. In fact the 458 SOCOM brass is also available. I also have a little different caliber AR also. I have a 6.5 Grendel that I like the performance of real well. We did shoot deer with the 6.8 on one trip in Texas and it performed well at under 150 yards which was what we shot the deer at. One Shot One Kill! It was a good hit and he ran only about 75 yards before he piled up!

3. d3athsid3

d3athsid3 New Member

Sniper03

Thanks for the suggestion. I just bought a 6.5 grendel complete upper. Now I wonder what I should customize it with.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I moved this to the AR forum. DIY is for projects other than firearms.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Ive been doing a lot of reading on starting w/ a basic set-up then adding the necessary parts as needed as your time on the rifle grows. It keeps you from wasting money on useless stuff.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

d3athsid3, how can you be from Savannah, GA and not be thinking Daniel Defense! :p

7. d3athsid3

d3athsid3 New Member

Quentin

Thanks for the suggestion, but the only reason why I didn't think about Daniel Defense because I already own 2.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Ah I feel better now! :p

Sorry no help to give on those calibers (no experience with either), just noticed your location and had to say something.