Suggestions for a comfortable and affordable way to carry a pietta 1858 remington NMA

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by orangello, Sep 28, 2013.

1. orangello

orangello New Member

Am looking for a reasonably priced and comfortable way to carry my pietta replica 1858 Remington new model army, 8" barrel. Suggestions for a cross draw holster or a right handed holster or holster belt combo would be appreciated.

I'm looking for practicality not pretty; it won't be for reenacting or CAS. I may use it for open carry occasionally and possibly for hunting backup.

Thanks

2. Turbojet

Turbojet New Member

I use a shoulder holster for my 1858 with 12" barell. I also use the shoulder strap with a different holster for my Ruger Super Blackhawk with 7.5 " barell, that thing is heavy. I am right handed so it hangs on my left side (cross draw). It is very, very comfortable. You can these at Cabelas, Bas Pro or Sportsman Guide.

3. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I like to carry mine in a cross draw.I cant really recommend any. My holster is a cheap home made one.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

I have tried the shoulder holster for my GP-100 with the 6" barrel, but it doesn't fit the longer 1858 or particularly the grip.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

6. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Blackhawk nylon side holster, mine loves it.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

This is what I commonly use and it fits most guns. So I can use it from derringers to shotguns. Also allows carrying an adequate supply of ammo.

Attached Files:

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Thanks guys! I really like the one with the concho, but that one on Midway seems very sturdy which is good for me.

Not really vehicle-friendly, though; I gotta be "MS car carry" compatible. :D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Here is a pick of my 1858 in my holster. I would imagine your barrel would stick out a little.

Attached Files:

10. CptMaF69

CptMaF69 New Member

i have the pietta 44. 12 inch barrel , i found a good holster for it that i liked ( uncle mikes ). got a thread cutter out of my wifes sewing kit and cut the belt mount loose and sewed it back on in a side/belly position to draw that massive barrel.....and it's comfortable and very practical.

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I like the Uncle Mikes holsters for revolvers with adjustable sights. Many of the high end holsters will break the blade on your rear sight. I am not paying $100 plus for a holster with a lame retention system and no notch for the rear sight, especially when the holster is supposed to be custom made for my gun. I ride a 4 wheeler or a mule to my hunting places. My guns have never fallen out in an uncle mikes holster. I do have a custom leather holster that I had to take to a saddle shop to have a notch for sight cut into it and a decent retention strap riveted onto it. The first time I got on a mule that took off as soon as my butt hit the saddle my gun fell out of it.