Suggestions for 5.56/.223 home defense rounds?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by indyfan, Feb 13, 2011.

1. indyfan

indyfan New Member

I'm looking to keep a magazine of reliable .223/5.56 ammo in my new AR at home. What would you suggest for self defense ammo?

My gunsmith just said I should buy soft point or something. I was wondering what brand I should buy as well and bullet grain, etc.

thanks

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I have a couple of magazines of Hornady TAP 75 grain HP. There are a few different tips for their TAP line.

2 things, though:

1) I've never trained on my AR inside in closer quarters, but I have trained on handgun and shotgun. I will NOT be going to my AR in a personal defense situation unless my shotgun has failed. I see my AR as an outdoor weapon.

2) Penetration? That could be a real issue with the AR platform in home defense.

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

That was really interesting, Talon. I've marked it for a second read in the future. To me, it was comparing handgun ammo/platform with centerfire rifle ammo/platform, though. And in a LE situation, too.

I think I would still go first to handgun (cuz it is on my hip), then shotgun, and only then to my AR.

But, fo' sho' YMMV.

4. indyfan

indyfan New Member

The reason I want to make my AR a primary defense weapon for the home is that it's extremely accurate and for some reason I wouldn't feel overly confident picking up my G19 and searching around my house after I hear someone kick in my door.

I do worry about piercing walls though. Maybe I should invest in a pistol caliber carbine.

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

The most accurate rifle on the planet, might as well be a broomstick in the hands of an average citizen as a home defense weapon.

I would never consider a rifle as a primary house gun. Unless your house has hallways and rooms the size of a schools.

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

A pistol-caliber carbine is better than just a pistol, but if you're willing to have a stock, I'm still thinking shotgun.

7. indyfan

indyfan New Member

That brings forth another question, who makes a decent pistol caliber carbine? Preferably one with a 30 round capacity...

8. willfully armed

Olympic arms makes on that accepts glock mags. The one I shot didn't like 147 gr though.

9. Black Talon

Black Talon New Member

Due to the frangibility of jacketed hollow-point .223 ammunition (especially the lighter grain bullets), I would think the risk would be higher from the 9mm/.40 S&W carbine.

10. red ryder

red ryder New Member

if you are worried about over penetration get a shotgun loaded with birdshot and forget it.

buck, slug, rifle and handgun rounds will go right though walls. most handgun rounds will penetrate more than a .223 round as well.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

52 or 40 grain hp would pretty much eliminate over penetration issues. 12ga shotgun using bb shot is the ideal home defense load. even worse case but your gonna need a slow twist in the 1in12 range to prevent the bullet from disintegrating as it leaves the muzzle. a load of shot from a short barrel pump like a mossberg 590 goes unimpeeded out a open door it wont go throuh the neighbor's walls. slugs are poor SD home loads due to extreme overpenetration.

with carbine pistol rounds your getting higher fps than out of a pistol so your actually getting more over penetration issues.

12. willfully armed

Jon, I've personally shot a 40 gr vmax through 1/8" steel and two layers of 1/2" sheetrock.

There's no magic weight to prevent overpenetration.

13. Black Talon

Black Talon New Member

14. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Just my opinion but any AR round is a poor choice for inside the home defense. The sheer velocity of the round almost guarantees multiple wall penetration regardless of bullet weight. I have to cast my lot with the shotgun crowd on this one.

If you are really uncertain about your ability to effectively use your handgun in a HD situation I would suggest some training and lots of practice. Don't make a poor choice in using the AR to compensate for inadequate handgun skills, fix the real problem.

15. oldcrankyman

oldcrankyman New Member

I'd just about prefer a baseball bat over a rifle for home defense. I've got a Mossberg 12 ga pump with full stock and cut barrel for in/near the house.

16. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I wish I knew who made the rounds I bought. I picked them up at my dealer and they are .225 frangible rounds.

17. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Back on the subject of pistol carbines...

[​IMG]