suggestions anyone?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by MM3_JMG, Apr 28, 2013.

1. MM3_JMG

MM3_JMG New Member

first off... ive never done a blog so forgive my typing.
    ill be 21 soon im stationed in SC and ill be buying my first hand gun soon. ive look at a bunch of options and im unsure of wat to get...it will be my first handgun but i have been shootin all my life... im set on a .40 cal. between a 1911, xd-40, glock...each has nice attributes but im not sure...if anyone has some suggestions it would really help me. thanks

2. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

Pick a 9mm.......they're cheaper to shoot.

3. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I prefer .45's, but get what your comfortable with.

4. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

Oh, I do too, but if I want to shoot a bunch, I'll go with my 9's. ;)

5. towboater

towboater Active Member

Consider the features you like. Big difference in a GLOCK and a 1911.

Check out CZ's.

6. towboater

towboater Active Member

And welcome to the forum.

7. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I go with the 9mm also. It is a good round and will do anything you want it to do.
    I am in Charleston, sc. If I can help, just let me know.

8. MM3_JMG

MM3_JMG New Member

i qualified with the nine and i know its capabilities but ammo was another concern and here lately .40 was easier to find and was cheaper than .45...what is a CZ and how does it compare... also i am really interested in the xd-40 package but i feel it has too many safeties...do they make a similar package without the beever tail safety?

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

My first handgun was a 40, so I'm not going to say must be a 9. 9's are typically less expensive to shoot, but 40 is all I can find on the shelves right now.

I'm not familiar with any 40 1911's, but 1911's in general are fantastic. XDM I used to own. It is a great gun.

Glock, don't care for it.

Smartest thing you can do is try a lot of guns.

10. rickster

rickster New Member

CZ stands for Ceska Zbrojovka, http://www.cz-usa.com/. They make excellent pistols. As others have said, try out several or as many as you can before you buy. What's right fro me or the other shooter may not be right for you. Welcome to FTF.

11. txpossum

txpossum New Member

The best advice I have seen given on this forum to people in your situation is that before you buy a gun, go to a range that rents various makes, models, and calibers, shoot them a lot, and after several weeks see what you enjoy the most.

Another bit if wisdom I've seen given here is to start out with a .22 in order to afford the thousands of practice rounds it takes to become a decent pistol shot.

Also -- buy quality, don't cheap out on the handgun. You'll enjoy it more.

12. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

I must agree with the opinion that you should go to you're lgs and rent whatever catches you're eye.If you can't rent than find a buddy whose willing to let you shoot theirs.One more thing you might want to think about is the fact that if you want one certain cal like the 40. you might want to check if a conversion barrel is made so that you can shoot in other calibers.Not a need to thing just a thought.

13. JeeperSC

JeeperSC New Member

You can't go wrong with a 40cal Glock! I love my 23 which is the mid sized Glock. And my 27 which is the compact sized 'baby Glock'...

Plus Glock gives a very generous discount to law enforcement and military. When I bought my G27 regular cost was $570 to $600. With the discount I think it was $420ish.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I highly recommend any Sig or CZ in 40, or an S&W 4006...

40 cal or 357mag are the cream of the crop. 40 for semiautomatic, which I prefer, and I haven't a one and I'm pissed at myself for lack of study before buying.

Get a Sig Sauer!

Get a Sig!

Do it!

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Rent, borrow, boldly go forth at the range, explain, and ask to

try other people pistols. Surprisingly, many will understand.

Spend up, get a good one. Nothing's worse than being saddled with

a POS.

16. thefarmboy21

thefarmboy21 New Member

With a GLOCK you can swap out the barrels. The bigger you buy the more options you have.

I've seen 1911's in .40 and in 9mm but they're hard to find.

Don't forget about Kahr pistols....I love my CM9

17. txpossum

txpossum New Member

The wide range of answers in this thread demonstrate the necessity of going out and trying as many different handguns as you can. It's a very personal decision. For instance, one person here spoke very highly of his Model 23 Glock -- I had one for about six months, never really warmed up to it, and traded it off. I'm a 1911 fan, but am not sure I'd recommend one as a first gun. IMO the most all around useful handgun is a Smith or Ruger .357 with a 4" barrel, but the cost of ammo when learning can be expensive. If I were to suggest a particular model for consideration of a "first" , it would be a Ruger MK I, II, or III, or a good .22 revolver. Good guns that will still be fun to shoot after you've "graduated" to bigger and louder handguns.

18. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Try a Sig you will not be disappointed.I have a P226 in 40. with the conversion barrels to swap out to 9mm and 357sig .I believe that Sig Sauer also makes an exchange kit to fire 22.The 226 is a fairly large pistol so it is not one I would consider for a ccw so mine is my primary home defense and range pistol.They are a little on the pricey side but not much more than a Glock and as reliable as any pistol out there.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

If you are tempted by a concealed carry gun, know this: all that

convenience and small size comes at a price besides money.

Muzzle flip and blast are awful, and accuracy at the range is

a challenge.

Shoot any weapon before you buy it.