Suggestion: Legal/Politics

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by Dillinger, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So, since before the election we have had some real drive by action here on the forum. Members who sign up only to get right into a heated debate in the political threads.

Most recently we have had about 5 that have found their way exiting stage right courtesy of one ban hammer or another.

It's taking up a lot of time to read through these threads, close the ones that are completely out of hand, and try to course correct the others.

We have good, known members here from both sides of the aisle. Most threads have a good share of back and forth without them becoming so heated that name calling and childish antics are necessary.

Who would be for pulling the Legal/Political section from the open forum and moving it behind the walls of The Bunker - were we members can discuss things that are important to us, but we don't have Barry-Is-My-God-Drama Queen stopping by to rattle off some mindless dribble.

If you want to test some random Left talking point with us, you should have to support the site, and our love for 2A, in the process.

What do you guys think??

JD

2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I think that the L&P section is a good draw for some newbies . Moving it will keep out trouble makers, but also may keep out good new members. Also narrowing the responders to only paying members may narrow the viewpoint expressed. I know it's a lot of work for the Mods but the trolls sure are entertaining.

3. ACES 6

ACES 6 New Member

Good Lord - I am so freaking new myself, but I have certainly found a home full of like-minded folks. I do enjoy it here. Seriously, one of the high-points of my day. Some days, the ONLY high-point - but I chalk that up to where I'm sitting.

I can see the Bunker being the only place for a thread of such potential vitriol. I, too, enjoy hearing from the Marxist left, and there are some areas in societal/political discussions that I actually agree, albeit very few. However, to have just anyone hopping in and stirring up the hornet's nest can be problematic. Of course, what I've seen from the ilk of those like Stalkingbear and Opaww, FT seems to have adequate defenses in place.

A year from now, when I've earned my keep around here, I may tend to be more confident in these suggestions. But, as a new guy, I think you're dead-on here, Dillinger.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I can see both sides. I would be nice to have a more intelligent conversation which if in the bunker I think that would happen. Supporting memebers seem to show more control.
    Jo has a point though, it could narrow the viewpoint and make the conversation less intersting. Also, its a good proving ground for supporting memebers.

5. Yunus

Yunus New Member

What about leaving it visible to non-supporting members but only post able by supporting members. That way if someone really feels a topic needs another point of view they can pony up the money and toss in their 2 cents.

Another lesser alternative would be to make it like the for sale section and say you can't post there until X posts.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You know, I actually like that idea better. Then we can satisfy Jo's argument about attracting new blood, but we keep out those that don't want to pay to argue.

Excellent Idea Yunus.

JD

7. orangello

orangello New Member

I like the pot-stirring red devil's idea as well.

Of course, if it is limited, it is owned & couldn't be blamed on an outside agitator, not a freeloading one anyway.

8. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Both points of view have merit - but keep in mind that if the trolls can't voice their leftist BS in the political forum, they will be much harder to identify, and consequently will remain under false pretenses for a much longer time. Many of them have no more knowledge of firearms than a PETA member, and reading posts about tumbling live ammo and shooting deer in the face gets real old real quick also. Sometimes identifying a problem quickly is better than letting it lapse into a false sense of security and die a long, slow, painful, death.

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

RL, as usual; makes sense!! Don't want the trolls putting up the cash to join and the mucking up everywhere on the forum!

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I think it's a double edged sword to change it at all. We are definitely not a group of yes men. I think we've all got common sense and are open to reasonable debate. Trolling and antagonistic behavior doesn't last very long here.

I realize that I have oftentimes stated my viewpoint in no uncertain terms. I know many others here have also. However, I don't think we honor our principles by shutting down free speech. Leftist Koolaid drinkers and Osama Bin Bama drones should keep getting the boot, but true and rational dissent should be honored.

I'm at a personal point of intolerance with all things left and have made it clear. Maybe I'm adding to the problem, I don't know.

I guess I will have to rely on wiser minds than mine to make any changes.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, that is why I offered this up. We Mods have talked about it, but there was no consensus.

You guys make good points.

I guess the recent constant reading of thread after thread after thread of Leftist BS for the sake of arguements is getting to me....:rolleyes:

JD

12. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Start a guest Mod program. Sign 'em up, have them read through the crap and rotate the troops.

13. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I think as a group of patriotic pro-gun Americans the problem will be here to deal with for another 3-1/2 years. The challenge will be to get through it without getting banned! Tempers grow short when confronted by ideological opposites that threaten our way of life. The saving grace to fall back on is that this IS a firearms forum, and any left-leaning troll can be quickly identified and eliminated! I remember being a member of a political forum during Clinton's first term. Their goal was exactly what we try to avoid here. What a tight rope act of tongue-biting that was. My goal in life was to piss off every a$$hole that voted for the motherfu%$er, and I accomplished that goal right off the bat with my screen name - Clintoris. I did that **** for the entire 4 years of his first term and I was so damned distressed and worn out from arguing with Liberals that I left the internet for 4 years and never looked back. This place is a reprieve from the daily BS and a safe haven from the stresses of the political climate in this country. By taking solace in the comaraderie of the good folks out here I think we can survive this storm.:)

14. opaww

opaww New Member

I think it should be left where it is and if we find a problem then post the problem and the person causing it in the bunker then the mods can have a quick look and make the choice to ban or not to ban that is the question.

15. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

When I read your screen name "Clintoris"- I busted out laughing, that's a good one.

Hmmm, it seems RL has some trolling experience. :D

16. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Right on brother. They did that over on Jeep Forum recently and it made life over there a lot better for everyone.

17. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

A forum buddy and myself would stir the pot each morning precisely at 9am. I would logon to the forum and when he saw my screen name he would say "mmmmm...what's that fragrance I smell? It's fruity, yet something smells fishy" and I would reply "It's my Clintoris....by Yves Saint Laurent, do you like it?

As far as being a Troll, yes and no. If you become a member of a Politics forum and talk guns all the time, you are a Troll, if you become a member of a Firearms forum and talk politics all the time, you are a Troll. If I was a troll it was because I was trolling for Liberals...and I caught quite a few!:D

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  18. opaww

opaww New Member

Another thing we can do is make a bunker section for Legal/Politics and post stuff there first and by the time we debate it we got all the bugs worked out and can then post a copy to the open board in legal/politics

19. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I think the best option would be to setup a new usergroup where after 20 posts and 30 days you can post Classifieds and join in on the Politics discussions.