suggestion for used .22 purchase

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by librarian, Aug 19, 2010.

1. librarian

librarian New Member

I'm planning on attending our local gun show next weekend and am planning
    to pick up a used .22 -- either a rifle or a revolver. I'm on a limited budget -- no more than $150. Any suggestions for what I might look for?

I'm currently using a Sears 2c/Winchester 131 bolt action circa 1967 with very good results - shredding the X ring at 150 yards with a cheap $40 scope using Winchester ammo.

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

First off, you should narrow it down to either a revolver or a rifle. That would depend on what you're going to use it for. Then I'm sure many recommendations will come your way. :)

3. librarian

librarian New Member

OK. Rifle

OK. I'll narrow it down to a rifle. That's what I've been using and I'm comfortable with it. If possible I'd prefer something with a magazine rather than a single shot.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I would look at the Ruger 10/22. Not too expensive, accurate, reliable, and highly customizable down the road. They are a lot of fun.

Let us know what you wind up with!

5. librarian

librarian New Member

10/22 prices

So, what do you think a reasonable gun show price for a used 10/22 would be?
    I see them in the shops here for about $200. I figure, given that you can replace the stock and barrel easily, it doesn't matter if they are trashed, that you, are, in effect, basically looking to buy a good decent unscoped receiver so perhaps $130-$150? I saw someone at the last show I went to wanting $275 which I thought was a little much.

6. montveil

montveil New Member

I bought a new 10-22 carbine for my daughter for $225.
    Make sure you get a scope rail if you might want to mount a scope on it in the future. A new one comes with one included and has a warranty.
    You won't be sorry with a 10-22

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

You probably won't find many good deals at a gun show.The promoters have raised the prices for the dealers so much,that you can find better deals in the local gun shops,or pawn shops.
    You can expect to pay more for a Ruger 10/22,the older ones have really gone up since Ruger started putting plastic parts into the new ones.

You can still find Marlin 60's for a good price,and they are a great gun.They just can't be modified as much as the 10/22.
    I here good and bad about the Remington 597,and don't know much about the Savage semi auto 22's.

Savage and Marlin both make great bolt action 22's.

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

You can get a new Marlin model 60 on that budget.

9. boddah4

boddah4 New Member

Got mine for $140 brand new.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I really enjoyed my Marlin model 60 when i was younger, very dependable.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

With the number of 10/22's, you should maybe "troll" the pawn shops too.

12. GrumpyPine

GrumpyPine New Member

Pawn shops in my area (Las Vegas) wanted $215 for a used 10/22, which is a joke. I think they might place a premium on them because they are so popular. If you can't get it for less than $200 you might as well buy new - you'll have the warranty, the accessories and the peace of mind.

13. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Looking to buy.

Sit on your money, wate for tuition time at a local collage ther's some good buys as kids selling a gun or two to make tuition.
    the cork boards at store's like the bank/post office/ grosery store/sale barn/ impliment dealer, gas station useally find a gun for sale, even advertise looking for good used .22 rifle to buy maybe you'll get a call or two.
    check at the local gun shop, had several basket cases just givin to me by the gun smith that dident want to mess with that stuff, there was a Ithica model 49 with a broken hammer, a Marlin model 60 disembled in a box needing stock screws and mag tube and front tube mag mount (bought for $20) a Remington model nylon 66 needing a bolt handle and mag tube and sights (dissembled completely in a box).
    Yard and moving sales, household auctions and such.

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Last 10-22 I seen used around here was about 100.00. A Marlin is a good rifle too. You might luck into some wheel gun but I'd say you would be better off to look for one of these two rifles.

15. Gator Monroe

Gator Monroe New Member

WASR 22 (Rimfire Romanian AKM) $200.00 TO $300.00 USED ?

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would recommend one that is (1) common, and (2) adaptable to your needs. The 10/22 has a lot more aftermarket parts than the Marlin.
    You should always go for the best you can afford (even if you have to take more time to get the $ together).
    A quick decision now, may not be the best decision for later.

17. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

The 10/22 NEEDS more aftermarket parts than the Marlin.

Never buy a 10/22, just buy all the parts and make your own, which will be better than anything Ruger ever put out.

Or, get a Marlin 795 for $129 (or less on sale) at your local sporting goods store.
    Marlin has a $25 rebate as well on their website.

Marlin accessories also tend to be MUCh less expensive than Ruger accessories.
    Ramline lockarm stock for a 1022 - $89
    Ramline Lockarm stock for a 795 - $14.90

Trigger assembly for 1022 - $200+
    Trigger assembly for 795 - $75

Why pay more for less performance??
    Get a 795 and be HAPPY :)

18. montveil

montveil New Member

It all comes down to what you want to use your rifle for.
    Small game out to 60 yards, plinking, without the need for extreme accuracy such as bench rest accuracy.
    A 10 22 will easily deliver 1 inch less groups at 50-60 yards without any modifications such as mentioned previously. Another factor to consider the inherant capabilities on the 22 round itself.
    If you want extreme accuracy you may want to look into a heavy barrel bolt action or single shot better suited for this type of shooting but I would not like to lug such a firearm around in a plinking or hunting situation.
    IT all comes down to WHAT YOU WANT TO USE YOUR RIFLE FOR. I choose the type of ammunition for the type of shooting you want to do, THEN get the rifle to fulfill your needs
    Bolt or single shot for maximum accuracy, and an auto for small game and fun shooting cans etc.
    If the rifle will be stored where kids are likely to be present then I prefer the 10-22 as the magazine can be removed and stored in a separate place but can be loaded in an instant
    by just inserting and charging one in the chamber and just as easily unloaded. With several magazines reloading is a snap and rapid which is a blast for plinking
    Just some thoughts you might want to consider

19. BIG_WHITE_2120

BIG_WHITE_2120 New Member

it may be cheap but my little mossberg 702 plinkster was just 120 bucks i bought a scope for it and it never fails.

20. GMACK

GMACK New Member

A couple guys suggested Marlin 60. That would be a good choice and should be in your price range. I havent found gun shows to be the best place to look for good deals.