Firearms Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says I think they should add a "Cleaning and Maintenance" section in the General Forums. It's a critical part of gun ownership and it would be very useful to have all the information in one place rather than scattered throughout various forum sections here.

The mods advised we need support from more members to make the change so if you agree please reply to this thread. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
But there are cleaning threads in gunsmithing and DIY projects. There are usally maintanence questions posted there too.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I agree, I'd like to ask a question about an old dirty shotgun I just got and need to clean up.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But there are cleaning threads in gunsmithing and DIY projects. There are usally maintanence questions posted there too.
Yes there is one stickied thread for cleaning but I think there are many topics on cleaning and maintenance that would be better served having their own threads rather than having all the info in one super long thread. Cleaning rifles is different than pistols or shotguns. What about different brands and types of cleaners. etc?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I wasn't suggesting adding them to the sticky only posting in the gunsmithing section. You could start maintenance threads for different guns etc.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't suggesting adding them to the sticky only posting in the gunsmithing section. You could start maintenance threads for different guns etc.
I just don't see cleaning and maintenance as a DIY project and I don't think most other people do either because they are starting cleaning threads in all the other section of this forum.

Here's the description of the DIY forum- "Working on a custom build or modifying a gun? We would all love to check it out. Post it here and include pictures!" That doesn't sound like cleaning to me. It sounds like gunsmithing projects that many would take to a professional while others choose to do it themselves.

I could see putting a Cleaning and Maintenance Forum in the DIY and Projects section but it should be a seperate section so the threads don't get mixed in with painting your firearm, trigger jobs etc and get lost in the bunch.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
I think it's not a bad idea. We seem to be becoming the premier place for knowledge and learning and a simple section like this would certainly draw new members.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I was just suggesting we do it under gunsmithing and then a thread for each gun. I.E. S&W revolver cleaning and maintenance. would be separate from 1911 cleaning and maintenance .

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just suggesting we do it under gunsmithing and then a thread for each gun. I.E. S&W revolver cleaning and maintenance. would be separate from 1911 cleaning and maintenance .
Ok sorry I got you now. Agreed it could be in the Gunsmithing and DIY Section but it should be it's own forum in that section.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Do us a favor. If you guys see a thread that should be in the new subforum please report it and we will be happy to move it there

·
Registered
598 Posts
JonM said:
Do us a favor. If you guys see a thread that should be in the new subforum please report it and we will be happy to move it there
I dont know how to report from my phone but I would think this one qualifies to be moved

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle cleaning

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Lube

1 - 14 of 14 Posts