Submitted the Form 4 Today

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by Gatoragn, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

To get one of these to run on my 22's.

https://www.cgsgroup.com/product/hydra/

We will see how long it takes.

The good news is my LGS/FFL works two days per month at a range and will take the suppressor to the range so I can shoot with it while it is still in the hoosegow.

Will probably go ahead and submit the form 4 for a multi-caliber suppressor when the LGS gets one in stock.

2. elfmdl

elfmdl Active Member

Hopefully yours gets in this batch of randomly quick turn around times. Submitted for another 22 can in September, hoping to see it in June

Rifling82 likes this.

3. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

E-file or submitted hard copy?

4. Gatoragn

Hard copy, paid with a check.

Rifling82 likes this.
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Meanwhile SCOTUS is supposed to hear a case brought by the GOA in June that might declare the $200 tax stamp illegal.

6. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

It would be nice if it passes. It should bring down the cost of suppressors too. because more manufactures will make them. No reason a suppressors should cost more than a gun.

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  7. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I’m with you Bushman, they are crazy expensive

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I doubt it,Suppressor's would probably sky rocket in prices at dealer's from the supply/demand issues that would come without the need of waiting on the BATFE to rob you of $200 for the stamp.
    The back order log on popular suppressor's would be crazy.

Gatoragn likes this.
  9. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Yes maybe at 1st. But when more are manufactured by more co's. There will be competition to give the best price. Also homemade ones i would hope will be legal.

Rifling82 likes this.
  10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I field an e form 1. Paid for the stamp with a credit card. In 1 month when I had approval I ordered the parts and built a suppressor for $50. No it is not made of unobtainium and have a fancy name but it does work. May not be as quiet or capable of full auto but I dont shoot that way. It is on a single shot 357 rifle and I am shooting 38 spl 158 grain at 1020 fps from the 16.5" barrel.

11. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

I have always wanted a suppressor, I don’t mind the 200$ tax stamp, no I don’t like it but what ever. Now what has always stopped me is the price of the suppressors. They have to be making 700$ profit on some of these things. Why does an Osprey cost almost twice the pistol I want to suppress? Why does a wolverine cost as much as an ak? Anyone paid more for a cherry bomb/Flowmaster than you did your truck? Lol

Rant over....

12. Gatoragn

BATFE cashed the check yesterday.

Rifling82 likes this.
  13. Txhillbilly

Let the wait begin !

Gatoragn likes this.
  14. Gatoragn

I should get pregnant and see what comes first!!! :p

Caveman Jim likes this.
  15. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

I have a problem with both the tax, and asking daddys permission every time. if you are approved for one, why should you ask again?

my other beef is the fact that the background check never turns up the felon in San Diego using my ID. I can find his PO box via the ninnynet in seconds, they never discover it.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  16. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

while I can't prove it, I figure manufacturers think if someone can afford a 200 dollar stamp and endure the wait, they can afford the price we put on our silencers.

I mean it's not rocket science to make one- a tube, some baffles and that's all there is. once a CNC machine has been programed you can turn out tens of thousands of baffles, the technology has been around for over 100 years. the only thing that has change is the materials, ie. titanium for the baffles. Teddy Roosevelt used a silencer not to upset his neighbors when he shot squirrels on his property

if the gov't ever do away with the tax on them, fat chance that would ever happen, and prices came down to something reasonable, I would be so incline to get one. but not for .22, those are quiet anyways, at least for me they are :D but for 5.56, 7.62

but till then, I will use a "loudener muzzle" don't need a tax for those :D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  17. Gatoragn

You should at least be able to buy more than one per form. I mean you can buy multiple guns on a single BG check.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    austin92 and Caveman Jim like this.
  18. Txhillbilly

Austin,Just like everything else that is made,there are cost that most people don't see in the price of a product.
    1. Suppressor's aren't something that everyone wants to buy,which gives them a limited market to be profitable to the public.
    2. Go price what a CNC Mill or lathe cost,along with the CAD software to make the baffle designs that are out there. They aren't cheap.
    3. Material's. Go price what a block of Titanium,Stainless Steel,and Aluminum goes for to make a suppressor.
    4. R&D cost. Companies spend many hours designing different baffle designs to see improvements in their products. That cost is reflected in the price of the product.
    5. Then you have to include the outside coating's,any cost involved with designing/producing QD mounts for QD suppressors,packaging,marketing,and the cost of having a building to produce them in,as well as a FFL manufacturing license to make a suppressor. Oh,and some skilled workers to make them.

Yes it cost a little to buy a suppressor if you want one,but if you have the talent/skill,you can make one yourself. But then you'll be out several thousand buying a decent used lathe,and out all the time you spend designing,and making one for yourself.

I have 4 suppressors - three 30 caliber,and one Rimfire. Together they cost just a few dollars more than one of my top shelf long range scopes.
    Do Suppressor's cost too much? Not compared to high end optics,go buy a few of them!

JRDallas likes this.