Sub 1k AR?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by supergus, Oct 19, 2008.

1. supergus

supergus New Member

I'm looking to buy an AR style rifle. I'd like to stay under 1K, since I may add optics to it. What have y'all owned in the sub 1K range that impressed you?
    OR, is it cheaper to build one from scratch?

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You'll save at least 20% of the final cost if you build it yourself. If you change the points and spark plugs on your CJ, you can build an AR.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Plenty of Threads going now about building information. junho recently built a 16" model from scratch for less than $700, which is well within your range.

Several of the existing threads have links to deals that people have found and posted. Cruise through the last few pages of the hot AR threads for some good ideas and discussion if you are interested in building your own.

Sloready just found a great how to guide over at Brownells that he posted on Sunday I believe. Really good stuff.

PM me if you have any specific questions...

JD

4. KellyTTE

KellyTTE New Member

Alan Samuels of MachineGunTours is selling Sabre Defence SR15s for 799.00:

http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9900

I'm not affiliated with them and get nothing. I just think it's a great deal on an excellent 600.00 upper mated to a near indestructable lower.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

^ That is a good price. I wonder why the blow out pricing though? :rolleyes:

Either way, even if they are re-tooling their line and phasing these out, it's still a good price for a very respectable unit. Great kit pricing that comes with just about everything you need....

JD

6. matt g

Look at the lower. Doesn't it look a little strange to you?

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yes, it does. I believe that is their all molded, poly-something or other variant. The thing is all one piece, so it kind of negates the ability to do things like putting a collapsible stock on there, or changing out the pistol grip for say, a Ergo type, or something. On the other side of the coin, there are two spots that won't loosen up on you. *shrug*

I've held it, it feels good. I don't know if it's the way I would go for a high end build, but for the price, it's a good unit for a good price.

JD

8. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

It's a Cavalry Arms lower receiver/stock #CAV-15 MKII Receiver

http://www.cavalryarms.com/MKII.html

Slo

9. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

No...no super secret lower by Sabre ;) But you are right...it's not the lower I would put on a high end upper like Sabre. But to each his own. Maybe that's one of Sabre's 'seconds' or their intro level piece :cool:

But typically, Sabre is one of the better makes out there. Nothing against Cav Arms. I made sure to support them earlier this year by buying a few of their lowers after the ATF raided them :eek: From what I've heard, things are getting back to normal and no formal charges were filed against them or proof of any wrong doing.

Slo

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well Slo has the link and it appears to be solid intel. I have held that lower before at SHOT, and I was sure it was on the Sabre unit at the time, but I stand corrected...:eek: Apologies one and all.

JD

11. KellyTTE

KellyTTE New Member

If it wasn't a rifle capable of consistent, reliable performance, I wouldn't have posted it.

12. bkt

bkt New Member

I'm sure it's good for what it is. And maybe the upper is outstanding (once you add a rear sight and/or a scope). But the unibody design of the lower would be enough to put me off; we should ideally be able to swap out the grip and stock.

Please don't take offense where none is intended. This is probably a very good rifle. All I'm saying is you might be able to come in at the same price with a comparable rifle that gives you a little more flexibility with a conventional lower.

13. KellyTTE

KellyTTE New Member

I'm not offended at all. I've posted several reputable sub 1000.00 ARs out there that from a features stand point pretty much overwhelm the homebrew weapons that I see floating around at club shoots, forums, etc. I think more that I'm bemused that most rifles that people 'swear' by online have never see hard use or pushed to the rifles limits in training, ancedotal evidence aside.

14. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

That lower looks like the lower that Daewoo uses on their AR and it is a great gun from what I've heard and they are not cheap guns.

15. matt g

Any idea what punctuation is?

16. balloo93

balloo93 New Member

I like the cav arms, but not enough to buy one for myself. I Emailed the owner about putting out a shorter molded stock (Think A2) and I believe he said they were thinking about it.

Bravo Company is selling thier 16" middy right now for $449. The things sell out VERY quickly. They also sell BCG that are mil spec for $130. So for around 600 you get a mil spec upper to bolt on to whatever lower you choose.

I'd probably do a Spikes or a custom engraved Anvil arms. Get a Lower Parts Kit, a rear sight, and a stock set and you're in business. If you don't plan on using an optic, or plan on a Aimpoint style red dot, check out the LaRue battle sight. Otherwise there are several makers of BUIS out there.

17. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

You should be able to find a good model Bushmaster for around $850 local.