Sturdy Safe -American Made

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by Telum Labs, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Telum Labs

Telum Labs New Member

I have a Sturdy Safe and it is fantastic, I highly recommend it. It is expensive, but totally worth it IMO.

Check out their Youtube channel if you want to know why they are so good. Anyone else here have one?

An no I don't work for them, just a fan!

austin92 and towboater like this.
  2. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

Got pictures? What options did you go with? I recently got a really nice safe too but I went with a Fort Knox executive. Did a write up in the company reviews section if your interested.

Caveman Jim and towboater like this.

3. Telum Labs

Telum Labs New Member

I didn't get any upgrades, just stock. I was going to do the fire-lining but it was going to add too much weight. As it is, it was nearly impossible to get into my house! It's nothing special to look at, but attached is a photo. The built and design work is really great, the tolerances are super tight and you can see the workmanship is fantastic!

Attached Files:

PeeJay1313 and towboater like this.
  4. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks nice... When I brought mine home, I had to remove the door and everything inside. It was too heavy otherwise. Removing the door was a great way to shed weight

5. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

When
    When you talk about portable safes, the security is only a matter of delaying an experienced thief. The safe you posted is a level III, security. (whatever that means; probably marketing more than anything else) Three minutes is about how long it would take to defeat that safe, so maybe that is the meaning. The same probably works for their level 8 safe that advertises 1 3/6" steel. Anyone who has worked in construction is familiar with the tools that could be used to get into a portable safe in a short amount of time.

Safes protect your valuables from most burglars because most are just looking for something quick to grab and quick to pawn. In my judgement, going for a high security rating on a portable safe is chasing your tail. Buy a safe for good fire protection, buy one to keep the neighborhood rouge kids out of your stuff, but don't think that you are buying strong security against a dedicated thief. Thieves are like any other groups, there are the idiots and the pros. You won't protect against a pro, but your level III will protect against the amateurs.

A case in point; where I worked, the management was throwing away an older Iron safe. This thing looked like Fort Knox in miniature. It was maybe a 2 1/2 foot cube, but it was heavy as a mountain. I asked for, and received the safe. Of course, I had dreams of valuable stuff locked up in there so I proceeded to open it up. I totally ignored the door, but flipped the thing upside down and attacked the bottom, I was in it in a very short time. Of course, it was empty. All was not lost; once inside, I was able to manipulate the lock, open the door, determine the five digit combination, so I repaired the fireproofing and the bottom and gave the thing to my son for a pistol safe.

The main security of this older safe was weight and a tough looking door. Sitting flat on the floor, it takes two strong men to roll it over, so it serves its purpose.

7. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Safes sort of protect against fire damage. When they hose things done the hot air in the safe, cools and sucks in the hot moist air. Most firearms are pretty rusty by the time the fire guys let you into the scene to try and recover them. But, they are generally still in one piece so it easier to convince the insurance folks they really existed.

8. TelstaR

TelstaR Well-Known Member

I have always considered a steel safe to be an oven in regards to its exposure to fire. I dont care what you line it with, 1500 degrees is 1500 degrees.

With the advent of lith ion powered grinders and such, I dont really consider a safe to be much protection if badguy come prepared to deal with a safe.

I consider a safe a good deterrent from a random burglar who had no idea that it was there. I think a safe is a fairly good way to insure that someone isnt going to simply walk off or run down the street with it in tow. It will also keep kids from access to your guns and may satisfy mandated storage requirements imposed by law ( if they exist)

Speaking for myself, I dont have kids and I do not have storage requirement imposed by law. That said, I am more inclined to use modular security lockers affixed to the floor joist and not a SAFE weighing several hundred pounds. Thats just me

9. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

actual factual true story: back in the '80s a safe shop in L.A. had a safe on a post outside the shop, as a way of quickly identifying the shop. a POS not worth the trouble of opening.

qu'elle surprise: a local wagtongue came up with the brilliant notion that there was $5,000 in that safe, and if you could open it, it was yours. I have known people this stupid. I have known people stupid enough to believe something this stupid. they always want me to act on their stupidity.

side note:back in the '80s I was talking to a friend about dumb people. I noted that there were two kinds of dumb people: passively dumb, and actively dumb. passively dumb people keep their mouth shut, so you never know how dumb they are. actively dumb people speak up and let the world know. a passerby added: there is a third kind of dumb: dynamically dumb: dumb and in motion.

a dynamically dumb cluck listened to the actively dumb cluck who made up the $5,000 and came up with a plan of action: a web strap and a pickup truck. in the spirit of dumb cluckery, the pickup was an El Camino. there was a picture in the LA papers of the guy in the El Camino dragging the safe and post down the street. you have to woder how many times the arresting author told this story.

towboater likes this.
  10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Gun safe's are a great marketing ploy. They only keep amateur thieves and honest people from taking your stuff.
    A professional thief will just cut a big hole in the side of it, and take what they want in a matter of minutes. The door of a gun safe is the only thing that's sturdy, the top - sides - back, and bottom are just 10ga - 14ga sheet metal.

Rifling82 likes this.
  11. austin92

Mine is 1/4” which equals 3ga :)

towboater likes this.
  12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Then you have a decently secure safe, and I'm sure you paid a nice price for it also.

austin92 likes this.
  13. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

it occurred to me today that safes should have a switch in the door frame, like a refrigerator. a 4 pole switch; AC, 12VDC, datalogger, alarm, or as needed. turn on AC lights, or run DC LEDs if the power is out.

and a dial light. if I put a Picatinny rail vertically on the door I can mount a tactical flashlight. and a project is born.

towboater likes this.
  14. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I agree. Lots would be sold id think

15. austin92

It was 6k delivered, installed, with tax. Wish I could’ve spent more.

16. Caveman Jim

Put one of these on your safe and all is well, they’ll drop their grinders and run away like little girls...:D

C7F75708-4728-49DC-8B25-BD9A329AE383.jpeg

Rifling82, PeeJay1313 and towboater like this.
  17. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll take a couple...

Rifling82 and Caveman Jim like this.
  18. Caveman Jim

Rifling82 and PeeJay1313 like this.
  19. Bigcat

Bigcat Well-Known Member

Folks, Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
    "Professional thieves" is not a big threat I am concerned with.
    The biggest threat to our firearms are drug addicts and trashy teenagers.

The OP posted a nice safe he liked.
    I need to get one soon too.