Stupid question time (lever action .22)

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by pedalmasher, Dec 25, 2011.

1. pedalmasher

pedalmasher New Member

In that rim fire rifles should apparently not be dry fired, how does one know when the last cartridge (without counting) has been expelled and the next racking of the lever will not bring a cartridge into the chamber hence leading to a dry fire situation?

I'm used to my S&W MP15-22 which of course locks open after firing the last cartridge. I'm expecting a new Henry Golden Boy .22LR tomorrow, and this question just came to mind. Thanks for taking the time to clarify this for me.

2. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I try to count my rounds but sometimes I get sidetracked and lose count. It will take many years of an occasional dry fire to show up any damage. You might want to invest in a new firing pin for when your grandchildren need it.:D

3. pedalmasher

pedalmasher New Member

I hate the distraction of counting rounds. I was hoping there was something obvious that made it clear that the last round was fired.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

When you hear the "click" you know its empty. Like Hawg says worry about something else as you are not going to hurt the gun with a few dry fires.

5. pedalmasher

pedalmasher New Member

Okay thanks, I guess one click after every 16 rounds is probably no big disaster for a modern rim fire, quality rifle.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

most modern manufacture 22lr of decent manufacturer are designed not to be harmed by dry firing.

you can tell if yours is safe or not by two ways. either the chamber has a relif cut type slot where the firing pin comes out or the firing pin does not protrude past the bolt face.

most 22lr have that relief cut as its easier than machining the firing pin exactly right. you can check the firing pin protrusion by disassembling and pushing the firing pin out and seeing how far it protrudes.

7. kaido

kaido New Member

Not to try and steal this thread, but since this has to do with dry firing as well I figured id just slip it in here.

I just picked up my first rimfire and, not sure if it matters at all, I don't really like the idea of leaving it cocked after cleaning or pulling out and empty mag since the easiest way to get the mag out is my lock the bolt back.

Since right now I don't have nor really know where to get a snap cap for any thing other then shot guns, do you guys think it would be okay to use an already fired casing in place of a snap cap?

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You CAN use a fired casing, but really, an occasional dry fire will not hurt a modern, well made .22

Sitting on the sofa, dry firing over and over and over and over- that is another matter. Consider the Ruger 22 pistols- they must be dry fired to take them apart.

9. kaido

kaido New Member

I didnt think the odd one would, but they way I look at it is why let it happen more then it needs too?

10. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

My dad got me a 10/22 when I was 14. I still have it and I'm 37. I try to count down the rounds but 9 times out of 10, I try for that 11th shot. I've done it hundreds of times by now I'm sure and my boys are now doing the same thing to it. Haven't had an issue with it yet.

11. pedalmasher

pedalmasher New Member

I just read the Henry .22 manual and it does not even mention the subject of dry firing.

12. kaido

kaido New Member

Well, glad to know that firing pins are built to last a good while before needing to be swapped out. Kind of glad the .22 I've got has a last shot hold open though.

13. pedalmasher

pedalmasher New Member

This is a pretty interesting article on the subject - apparently Henry claims that their rifles can be dry fired as much as the owner desires:

Bullshooters: Dryfire Review

14. kaido

kaido New Member

That is pretty cool, but still don't think that I'd sit on the couch dry firing my henry simply because they say you could if you wanted too....also because I don't have a Henry to do that with.

15. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

Congrats on getting the Henry. Santa brought me the Henry H001 planning on going to the range tomorrow. Went out on the deck today between rain showers and fired off a few rounds, loved it, have fun ..I am...:D

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Another ride-along here...

I've got a bolt-action 22. Is dry firing these any different than semi-auto or lever-action? I'd love to not have to be too worried about the occasional trigger-pull on an empty chamber.

17. kaido

kaido New Member

From what I've heard and previously read, you should be alright with the odd dry fire. Just wouldn't hang out and do a torture test with your gun.

18. pedalmasher

pedalmasher New Member

Yup, will be eagerly awaiting the Henry today and then the next stop will be the range! No intentions to dry fire that baby, just wanted to know that I am covered when I click one off after emptying the gun.

19. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

I would not use a fired casing as it could lead to being unsure if the gun is/was loaded. Instead, snap caps are fairly inexpensive and would do the job, plus their color makes it clear there is no live round.