Firearms Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently purchased a Sig P320-M17. My wife and I love it.
Loading it my inserting the loaded magazine and then racking the slide- works perfectly.

However, I'm confused about another way. I have seen videos where if after I have finished shooting and the current magazine is empty the slide is racked back and locked, then you ejected the magazine, put in a new one and then if you pull down the slide lock, it should load the first bullet from the magazine. However when we do this, it does not seem to work as when we squeeze the trigger nothing happens and the strange thing is, the bullet IS loaded because when I rack the slide, it ejected.
After we left we wondered if we had the safety and were wondering if the safety was on when we pressed down on the slide lock and if that would prevent the pistol from loading the round if the slide racks back that way.

Any help would be appreciated ! and thank you and sorry for the basic question we just want to learn as much as we can.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
First, check out our introduction page. It helps get to know you. Please check the rules out too.

Second, you can't typically engage a safety on that type of firearm until the slide is forward.

Question, did the trigger actually pull and you heard a click after you released the slide with a loaded magazine?

I'm thinking one inadvertently engaged the safety after the round was chambered.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If you are releasing the slide from slide lock by dropping the slide stop, it MIGHT not have enough spring pressure to fully go into battery, but unlikely. I second PeeJay - did the striker actually go forward, hear the "click"? if not, the disconnector is engaging and preventing it, (as it is supposed to do to prevent out of battery ignition), OR, you inadvertently engaged the thumb safety just enough to prevent it. Try this - from slide lock, with no magazine and a completely empty firearm, (triple check, safety is everyone's responsibility), reach over the top of the slide and grasp the slide with your whole hand, pull back until the slide stop disengages and let go. If the slide goes fully into battery you should hear the striker fall. This is, BTW, a far better method of releasing the slide from slide lock than using the slide lock itself. If you aren't comfortable with this, I highly recommend going to a local professional range and see if they offer training.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am not familiar with the p-320, but agree with above- sounds like your thumb may be hitting the safety when trying to operate the slide release.

But be cautious here! -while trying to figure this out.....this kind of problem is a good opportunity for an accident to jump out of the bag. Its easy to get your mind on the problem of not firing.... and forget you are dealing with a loaded gun.

BTDT.......(been there done that).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts