Firearms Talk banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have seen some dumb people at gun shows.

It's a shame I'm in my late teens and know how to handle firearms better than 40 and 50 year old dudes. The last gun show I went to, there were a lot of "zombie hunters", and if I heard "zombie apocalypse" or "zombies" one more time...
They were serious, too.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Best one I saw....was when a group of 2-3 guys were checking out various pistols in the showcase waiting for a friend to arrive so they could all hit the indoor range. Well, the guy finally showed up and crept up behind his buddy.....stuck his finger into his back and yelled "THIS IS A STICKUP!!"

Let me tell you that EVERY single store employee and a few patrons had their right hands on their guns inches from drawing on him! The guy turned bright red...and one of the employees said something to the tune of, "of all the stupid things NOT to say in a gun store, that has to be the worst one. Dont ever do that again....you were within seconds of being in my sights"

Everyone looked at him and shook their heads!

·
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
7,514 Posts
I have one, local LGS had a customer was at the counter and I was a little ways to the left looking at .22LR rifles. The customer had a 9mm semi-auto, while holding the pistol she sweeps from right to left and asks how do I look with this gun?

Another customer intervened very quickly and advised to this customer to treat every firearm as if it was loaded and not to point in the direction of others. The pistol is a weapon! The customer was upset and drop the pistol on the counter and left the store.

I forgot to mention, at the range this weekend, this woman was not standing in the bench shooting area (standing a little behind it) as required and she was holding the firearm with finger on or near the trigger and the pistol was pointed downward into the table. Range Control Officer quickly corrected her.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Heard a girl barely 18 ask if she could see the pretty pink one in the counter referring to a .38. Quickly denied when asked her age. Just thought that one was funny.

Offered my grandpa some range time few weeks ago, now I love the man to death and I know he's barely shot in his life but when he asked what size bullets it took, I kinda wanted to explain the difference between a "bullet" and "cartridge", also that they're referred to by caliber. Instead it was a simple reply of 7.62x54r, s&w .40, and .357 mag lol

Watched a guy hand his daughter a .22 revolver with out ever checking the chamber. She immediately went for the trigger....

Guy at gander mtn was testing a scope mounted on a rifle by pointing it straight out n the isle where people were walking, never checked the chamber

I think some people need to be handed a pamphlet or given a quick run down before ever handed a fire arm. The negligence and irresponsibility of some is frustrating when it's common since and second nature to you

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've yet to witness something horrendous other than muzzle sweeping at my LGS. At our local outdoor range one guy started sending lead down range when the range was COLD!! People were still out there putting targets up! I'm fairly certain they tried to press charges on him.

I do remember something that's always stood out to me at the LGS. I was looking at a Used savage that had a scope already mounted. Turned to the guy and asked where can I point this? He looked like someone just told him he's adopted. He said "you are actually the first person to ask me that!" Then pointed me to a safe direction. It's fairly common sense to me but someone once told me that "the problem with common sense is that it's not very common."

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
GrtWhytHype said:
I've yet to witness something horrendous other than muzzle sweeping at my LGS. At our local outdoor range one guy started sending lead down range when the range was COLD!! People were still out there putting targets up! I'm fairly certain they tried to press charges on him.

I do remember something that's always stood out to me at the LGS. I was looking at a Used savage that had a scope already mounted. Turned to the guy and asked where can I point this? He looked like someone just told him he's adopted. He said "you are actually the first person to ask me that!" Then pointed me to a safe direction. It's fairly common sense to me but someone once told me that "the problem with common sense is that it's not very common."
I always point then up at about a 45* angle so the mussel is above anyone n the store. Always chamber check them my self before ever shouldering it too. But I agree common sense isn't so common lol

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Me and my wife were at a lgs and three guys walk in and are looking at the rental guns. They were looking at a handgun and one of the guys turns the gun sideways and started waiving left to right and it passed by the guy working behind the counter. I thought he was gonna jump over the counter and beat some ***....

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
fupuk said:
Me and my wife were at a lgs and three guys walk in and are looking at the rental guns. They were looking at a handgun and one of the guys turns the gun sideways and started waiving left to right and it passed by the guy working behind the counter. I thought he was gonna jump over the counter and beat some ***....
If you hold it sideways, you should be kicked out immediately. Don't buy a gun if you wanna act all gangsta and don't even know how to properly hold it.

·
Banned
14,919 Posts
If you hold it sideways, you should be kicked out immediately. Don't buy a gun if you wanna act all gangsta and don't even know how to properly hold it.
Yup. That ought to be an immediate disqualification for gun ownership.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just left my LGS and I walked around for a while and then went to look at handguns and there was an older gentleman looking at a pistol and just kind of waiving it around and even pointed it in my direction. When he asked about another one he was doing the same. I went back to the rifles and later told my sales person, who I've bought several guns from in the last year, I was pretty uncomfortable with this guys carelessness. I always chamber check before handling any firearm even if the counter person did it. He did make me an ok deal on a Glenfield model 60 which I bought.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
srtolly1 said:
I just left my LGS and I walked around for a while and then went to look at handguns and there was an older gentleman looking at a pistol and just kind of waiving it around and even pointed it in my direction. When he asked about another one he was doing the same. I went back to the rifles and later told my sales person, who I've bought several guns from in the last year, I was pretty uncomfortable with this guys carelessness. I always chamber check before handling any firearm even if the counter person did it. He did make me an ok deal on a Glenfield model 60 which I bought.
I still have my model 60. That was my first gun. Great little .22

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I found a .22 round, laying on a shelf by the BB guns. I showed it to the employee at the Sporting Goods dept, and asked to see the manager. The employee wanted the round, but I knew the manager, and insisted on giving it to him. When the manager came, the employee fessed up to spilling a box of .22 rounds a couple days before.

Most likely, not a good idea having live ammo laying around inside box stores, selling riffles. The fact I found it on a shelf, means someone else found it on the floor, and put it on a shelf. Who knows how many customers handled that live round in several days?

Only a .22, I know, but that is a powerful round, and people die being hit with them.

All is well, that ends well.

·
Registered
223 Posts
People constantly muzzle sweep one another at the used gun racks at my local Cabelas. All the rifles and shotguns have trigger locks on or zip ties on bolt handles, but it's still seriously annoying. Nothing like checking tags on one side of the rack while someone's sighting in on your neck through the guns on the other side of the rack. It's why I try to go immediately after work on a Tuesday through Thursday. No one there to point weapons at you. On weekends the place is a cattle farm.

·
Registered
460 Posts
One of the dumbest things I have ever seen was in Gander Mountain, and it was the stores fault! I was looking at the used gun rack and recognize that they had a Type 99 arisaka. I also have a Type 99 that my grandpa gave me. I was wanting to see how much they were asking for it so I look at the tag. They had it listed as a 8mm Mauser! I went to tell one of the salesmen That it is a 7.7x58mm and they just looked at me like I was stupid. I told them I just want you to know, because I am not going to be the one responsible for this gun blowing up in someones face. I never did think much of the gun salesman in gander mountain but after that, WOW

·
Administrator
9,306 Posts
Is anyone really surprised considering most people’s ‘knowledge’ of firearms comes from TV & movies?

Absolutely there are many stupid people with firearms, but I think it’s mostly ignorance. I know some here will consider this an infringement, but I believe some proof of knowing & understanding the rules of firearm safety should be required. At the very least, some form of the rules could be conspicuously posted in the gun shops. I.e.; DON'T put your finger on the trigger. DON'T aim the gun at anybody. DON'T wave the gun around in front of people, etc. Something simple and easily read to let people who don't know any better what the minimum standards of gun handling are.
Ignorance can be cured, stupid is forever!

·
Administrator
9,306 Posts
Couple months ago I was at my LGS indoor range. A few stalls down from me a young guy is trying to impress his girlfriend/wife/whatever. He tells her to "watch me". Then he loads up his pocket pistol and rapid fires the magazine full. Guess she was all kinds of impressed with his testosterone levels (no rapid fire allowed by the way). Next he loads up again and hands her the gun. She points the gun downrange, crosses her thumbs behind the grip, closes her eyes and pulls the trigger...once. She drops the gun for the good reason that she has just about slashed the web of her left thumb to the bone. The guy couldn't be bothered to show her how to grip the gun safely, not sure he knew how either. I felt bad, cause I could see her grip was wrong, but couldn't get there in time to stop her. Got some paper towels, told her to apply direct pressure, LGS employees suggested she go to ER since the wound was well beyond Bandaids.

·
FAA licensed bugsmasher
7,141 Posts
I need to hang around more gun stores. I don't have any good stories other than a woman looking over a new Ruger Mk III a few weeks ago. The action was open as she aimed it at the shop guy's stomach.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts