Firearms Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go with the Alien Gear double cloak mag carrier. However, one of the options is "Would you like the option to carry MOLLE?"

I've searched and searched and still can not find out exactly what "option to carry MOLLE means."

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I decided to go with the Alien Gear double cloak mag carrier. However, one of the options is "Would you like the option to carry MOLLE?"

I've searched and searched and still can not find out exactly what "option to carry MOLLE means."
As others have said, it's a strap arrangement (of velcro, basically) that allows attachment of various other lighter-load items to those strap areas.

Lots of equipment has such a system, to allow varying the load-out.

With a range bag, for example, you might have a larger one as well as carrying twice the magazines that I'd bring. And so, you can change the position of interior pouches, add more pouches, and I can use as-is. Same basic bag, but different load-out depending on need or preference.

With a vest, it allows completely different positioning and number of attachments, depending on the person. You might be a righty and want twelve magazines; I might be a lefty, prefer a higher draw position with cant, few mags, and a long knife; a buddy might prefer the "Paul Blart mall cop" look, with a half-dozen fake flash-bangs and twenty-four magazines. We can wear the same vest, but with different pouches and positioning.

Bags, duffels, belts, vests ... a variety of products have the MOLLE system to allow altering the particular carrying ability dependent on how a given person's going to use the thing. For lighter loads (ie, a loaded magazine, or a sheathed long knife), it can work well.

For examples of load-out possibilities, search for:
molle belt
molle "range bag"
molle vest
molle attachment

For a handful of short Youtube videos, try searching for: molle attachment.

It should give you a good idea of how to leverage such an option. Of course, the key is, the attachment itself (ie, the sheath or carrier or holster) needs the MOLLE ability, and also the resulting attached item needs to be light enough (for the given amount of MOLLE velcro) that it remains tightly attached.

If the bag, belt or vest is made stoutly enough, with tough enough sewing and large enough strapping, it'll allow quite a range of attachment pouches and weaved-in strapping to allow anyone a fairly custom setup.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
If you don’t have a MOLLE base in the form of a vest or plate carrier, it would seem to have little utility.

If you are primarily looking for a holster or mag pouch to belt carry or concealed carry, MOLLE is not your best
option.

·
Premium Member
22,626 Posts
IMHO, MOLLE works best with plate carriers. I think that's what the whole concept was designed for.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
IMHO, MOLLE works best with plate carriers. I think that's what the whole concept was designed for.
Yes, as well as modular packs and web gear.
Nothing “covert” about it. Actually k ind of bulky because most items require a panel or webbing straps for attachment straps to run through. Things do seem to sit a bit tighter than with the older ALICE clips though.

Reactions: locutus

·
Premium Member
22,626 Posts
The ALICE system was excellent for back packers. I'm not so sure it was a real good fit for the military though.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
The ALICE system was excellent for back packers. I'm not so sure it was a real good fit for the military though.
My first ground deployment I was issued ALICE gear. Next one was MOLLE. I like both systems, but the MOLLE really seems to have caught on and makes modular adaptation of even small basic packs more versatile. Everything fits closer to the base bag or carrier and just seems more secure and less prone to snags. I still like a basic ALICE pack for a simple hike.

I have acquired a British “Field Pack”. Which is a large gas mask bag with MOLLE attachment points on the sides. I has a single shoulder strap. It is likely to become my “kayak kitchen” Bag, and do double duty as a day hiking bag for light trails.

Reactions: locutus

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
upload_2020-11-29_14-17-21.jpeg

The British Field Bag.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
And a picture of MOLLE type attachments.

upload_2020-11-29_14-48-13.jpeg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts