Study claims murders are dropping as concealed carry permits rise

Discussion in 'Firearms in the Media' started by CrazedJava, Jul 11, 2014.

1. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Criminals are also dropping :p

No offense and none taken

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Absolutely!! Isn't it great?

4. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

5. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

Very encouraging isn't it?

6. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Is the murder and violent crime rate high in Hawaii. ? You would assume it would be as few carry firearms.

7. MisterMcCool

8. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Manta,

Regarding Hawaii, good luck finding a house for less than $250,000 or an apartment for less than a couple grand a month. Given those kinds of prices for basic housing, who lives in Hawaii? Apart from Pacific Islanders and Japanese, mostly wealthy people. Do wealthy people rape/rob/murder each other in the streets over who gets to sell drugs or run hookers in da hood? Maybe some do, but very few.

In England are there millions of illiterate refugees (people who can't read or write their name in their own language), many of them children, streaming across your borders every year? Because that's exactly what happens in America since our government has, for decades, refused to actually address the border problem (not controlling immigration and forcing those who wish to immigrate to do so through lawful or regulated means; I'd settle for passing a simple criminal background check to bar rapists/thieves/murderers and payment of taxes).

Whether anyone considers this racist or not, the overwhelming majority of violent crime in America is young black men committing crimes against other young black men and young hispanic men, plenty of them illegal immigrants, committing crimes against other young hispanic men. Most of it is related to gangs and illegal drugs. If you take away the crimes committed by those groups, you arrive at a crime rate that's no higher than average for an industrialized country.

Obama whines and throws a tantrum in front of the American people about their ownership of firearms while his administration was busily arming the drug cartels along our southern border and Al-Qaeda (to somehow prove to us that only the government should be trusted with firearms?) and has the border patrol stay 40 to 50 miles from the border where anybody with two neurons bouncing off each other would realize they have no chance of stopping the flood of illegal immigrants who literally walk or swim over the border into America. In the mean time, the Mexican government is producing infomercials to help foreign nationals and their own people illegally immigrate into America.

Somehow, people like yours truly are supposed to feel responsible for clothing/feeding/sheltering/treating these poor people while both our government and foreign governments contribute greatly to their suffering while I and others who still pay taxes are patronized by multi-millionaires like Obama about "paying our fair share" while their buddies rake in billions of dollars, tax free, through the companies they head or invest in. So pardon moi if some of us think that those of us who aren't rapists/thieves/murderers should have a little bit of firepower to deal with those who are since our court system has ruled that the police have no duty to protect us. How stupid of us for taking care of ourselves. We should just let someone else do that, like the Jews did in WWII. That worked out pretty well, wouldn't you say?

Anyway, the point is, if the general citizenry having guns was causing crimes, then criminal activity should have astronomically increased given the number of people with guns in America. Since the exact opposite has happened, and the murder rate has gone down just about every year, that would seem to suggest that the liberal/progressive lies about civilian ownership of firearms being the cause of criminal activity to be a politically motivated agenda that does not correlate with reality. If you have another explanation for it, please share.

9. MisterMcCool

I am not an immigrant. I am not black. I am not young. I am not in a gang. I don't use drugs. Reckon I'm safe! :D

10. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Murder is complex and socio-economic factors have more to do with criminal activity than access to guns or ethnicity.

However, the widespread issuance of concealed carry permits correlates with a drop in violent crime. Notice I did not say it was a cause. The belief held by gun control advocates is that there would be "blood in the streets". Apparently the introduction of concealed carriers did not cause an increase in "gun violence" (I am not so distinct. Violence is violence.)

Regardless of whether or not concealed carry permits have had ANY effect on crime, there has not been an increase despite the claims there would be otherwise. Another myth has been shattered. Nothing many of us did not already know, but these studies continue to come to the same conclusion. This was not the first one.

11. MisterMcCool

That's it in a nutshell

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Do a thread search. They have been finding the same thing for years.

Apparently, criminals afraid of CCWs "increases the peace"...

Additionally, criminals are much more afraid of CCW carriers,

because, according to some interviews with career criminals,

they don't follow police protocol, can pop up unexpectedly

anywhere, and against all better sense,

BGs seem to feel civilians are better shots...

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

i want to see a study on how many cases per capita of a gun in the hands of a citizen ccw or not stopped or drove off a criminal incident.

those are never ever recordered in crime statistics.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Let's consider this closely for a moment. These situations turn out to

be "non-events", generally, where everybody walks away in one piece and

unscathed. Most folks just don't see much benefit to reporting it to the

police, who, of all folks, for some reason, have a tendency to over-react

upon law-abiding citizens.

Consider if you were involved in a situation like this. Would you risk

the ire of LE by filing a report? I cannot speak for everyone, but I know

I wouldn't. I'm just too busy.

15. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Some say the drop in violent crime can be attributed to Roe vs. Wade and the abortions of unwanted children.

scholar.harvard.edu/barro/files/99_0927_crimerate_bw.pdf

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  16. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

With so many guns being sold to new and prior gun owners, over the last several years, why hasn't gun violence gone parabolic?

Has anyone in the anti-gun camp asked that question?

Apparently it's not about owning a firearm, it's about WHO owns the firearm.

So we need to legislate people control, right?

We must need to limit the rights of minorities and people on the lower end of the socio-economic scale then, right?

Or should we allow all people their freedom and live with the consequences?

/\I vote for that./\

17. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Ive said for years I didnt think it was worthy of fighting Liberals and those that cant or wont read the instructions on a Condom! If they want to kill their own as long as they leave me and my money out of it, Im not going to try to stop them! I sleep Ok in that knowledge, Darwin at his finest!

As far as murder going down in places that ccw's are going up, that makes total sense. Fits right in there with the lower murder rates in places where people hunt and live agrarian lifestyles that always had guns. Almost everyone's got guns and few people want to take a chance trying to screw with a redneck that owns guns, its just a bad Idea!
    Obviously you dont watch tv, Hawaii has a couple things going for it, Hawaii 5-O

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii_Five-0

and its Barry's fav vacation hangout. When hes in town (often), theres more guns there than the state of Texas has! It doesnt hurt that its home to the Navy's pacific fleet and a few thousand guns that go with that as well. As someone else said, the cheapest housing there is more than the most expensive in CNY. They have more issues with volcano's than crime...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i'll adhere to the belief that more guns in the hands of the LAC is in some way related to lowering criminal acts.

now, most BG's and criminals are not the smartest people in the world, but i think it's safe to assume that some of them can read and can watch TV, so the information about more LAC's having guns and more people getting CC permits has to be sinking into their small brains to a degree.

so, as most of these POS's are pretty much cowards to begin with and are looking for softer targets of opportunity to attack and steal from, they are maybe realizing there are less of these softer targets for them to attack.

19. Sopravvivere87

Sopravvivere87 New Member

Gun facts:

Searching on web in order to write a leaflet helping Italian firearm enthusiasts for discussion against italian gun-control advocates i found some interesting informations:

- 60% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they knew the victim was armed. 40% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they thought the victim might be armed

(Armed and Considered Dangerous: A Survey of Felons and Their Firearms, James Wright and Peter Rossi, Aldine, 1986)

- Gun homicides were 10% higher in states with restrictive CCW laws, according to a study spanning 1980-2009

(An examination of the effects of concealed weapons laws and assault weapons bans on state-level murder rates, Applied Economics Letters, Vol 21, No. 4)

- After passing their concealed carry law, Florida’s homicide rate fell from 36% above the national average to 4% below, 3 and remains below the national average (as of the last reporting period, 2005)

(Shall issue: the new wave of concealed handgun permit laws, Cramer C and Kopel D. Golden CO: Independence Institute Issue Paper. October 17, 1994)

- States that disallow concealed carry have violent crime rates 11% higher than national averages.

(FBI, Uniform Crime Reports, 2004 – excludes Hawaii and Rhode Island – small populations and geographic isolation create other determinants to violent crime.)

these facts and many others are taken from this link:

http://www.gunfacts.info/2014-gun-facts-fundraiser-hide/

[​IMG]

20. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

So are we to believe that the common criminal is keeping up with statics on gun rights,I doubt that a murderer or robber sits down and analyzes statistics before leaving his or her house to commit crimes.
    Crime rates rise and fall they always have and always will.