Stuck choke tube

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by teamramrod, Apr 12, 2011.

1. teamramrod

teamramrod New Member

I have a shotgun with a choke tube that is stuck in the barrel. I have tried different wrenches and things of that sort but i cant get it out. I have heard that it is "welded" in there. Any advice on how to get it out without taking it to a gunsmith would be great. Thanks

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

Kroil oil, hands down, put some in a glass and stick the barrel in and let it sit for 24 hrs.

If that doesn't work, repeat!

If no luck in 3-4 days see a smith. :eek:

3. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

^ Solid advise. Cheaper than the removal tool which costs half as much as a new barrel.:rolleyes:

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Kroil is the Chuck Norris of penetrating oils. After soaking, check to be sure you are trying to turn the choke in the correct direction. I say that for a reason.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Kroil, it's the creepy oil!

6. teamramrod

teamramrod New Member

Well thanks guys! Looks like im getting some of that chuck norris oil

7. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Make sure you do not bugger up the end of the choke tube. If you take it to a 'smith before you do that, he will get it out cheaply and without damage. If you damage it first - good luck.

8. teamramrod

teamramrod New Member

What do you mean by that?

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Just curious on my part, but what make and model of shotty? The more info the better. We don't need serial #, just the make, model and age of the shotty. Oh, and barrel type and length. Nothing more other than pics and patience. :cool:

10. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I mean as long as the notches in the choke tube are still sharp most 'smiths can get it out without damage. Some use Kroil and a homemade choke wrench adapted to an impact driver for example, but most have a lot of experience at this activity. If the notches are messed up, they have had to bore them out or other expensive solutions that will likely increase the costs by at least the cost of another choke tube. I have seen barrels shortened and rethreaded for choke tubes after an owner really screwed up.
    Just a caution.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  11. teamramrod

teamramrod New Member

Its a Stoeger m2000

12. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The choke tube is not welded in. Use the Kroil and it should break loose pretty easily.

13. RUT

RUT New Member Supporter

Another case for extended choke tubes.............

14. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Sounds more like another case for nickel Never-Seez to me. Permatex version works equally well, and the Loctite "lipstick" tube version is really the berries.

15. teamramrod

teamramrod New Member

Well i will look around for some kroil oil and give it a try. Thanks for the help