Struggling with a new 1911 choice - Sig or Kimber

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Slick57, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Slick57

Slick57 New Member

After months of visits to local dealers and on-line reading, I've decided my next 1911 purchase will be a Kimber or Sig Sauer. Thoughts?

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

I don't own either. However, Sig has a much less spottier reputation from what I've read. Also, Sig offers a lifetime warranty. Kimber only offers 1 year.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I'm pretty anti-Kimber, so its an easy choice for me. I did like the original Kimbers before their II series guns.

I've liked every Sig I've shot or owned.

4. Slick57

Slick57 New Member

Thanks

BTW SSGN Doc, although I've been out for many years - MM1(SS), fast attack sailor!

5. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Oh boy !!!!! Careful what you wish for!!!! There are many many Kimber haters on here. You are going to get a whole bunch of " for the money a Kimber costs why not just get a colt"

I personally have a Kimber 1911 and have had nothing but good luck with it. Accurate as hell, never had any failure to feeds, ejects, or any problems. I have well over 2000 rounds through it.

The sigs are great as well. Springfields are great. Colts are great. The S&W e series are really good as well.

If I were to buy a new colt it would be one of these

Attached Files:

6. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

Ditto.
    Colt Marine.
    Like $2300 or something cray though.
    That's one that'll stay on my wish list for a long time, unfortunately.

The Sig Sauer Scorpion is one I was seriously considering purchasing...looks are similar with half the price tag. But it's not a colt.

I'm considering buyin one of the 2 with my next tax return.

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

In all likelihood, either should make you a fine shooter.

8. GunsGodAndCountry

GunsGodAndCountry New Member

Not to beat a dead horse, but Im not a huge Kimber fan either. I've shot a crimson carry (pretty sure that's the one) and it was okay, nothing memorable. I feel like if you're gonna drop that kind of cash on it, shooting it should be like sex. For me, it certainly wasn't.

9. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

See told you. Lol.

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Very few carry guns are joys to shoot, alloy frames, shorter barrels make for snappier recoils.

Whatever the OP decides to purchase, compare guns of the same class to make the decision, i.e. full size Kimber vs full size Sig.

11. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I believe that few give their 1911 a beating like I do.
    My Kimber has been up to the physical abuse, it is accurate and reliable. No complaints here.

Kimber makes so many models from so many materials, they are very different in many respets.

My Covert is 3" alloy, It is a daily carry regardless of the chore, mowing fields, painting, woodworking, welding, cleaning the chicken coop. whatever.
    It always shoots well, even when dirty.

Attached Files:

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have a stigma against Kimber.

When they started out, their prices were lower than anyone's.

I prefer to have the piece of mind of having a limited lifetime warranty over a 1 year limited warranty for the same price.

13. sandog

sandog Member

I don't understand the Kimber haters either. I have 3, and they have been as accurate and reliable as anything I've owned. My 4" CDP has been my carry gun for nearly 20 years now. It is utterly reliable , light weight, almost as accurate as my full size steel frame .45's, and a joy to carry with the "bar of soap" carry bevel treatment. Other pics are of my Match Target w/ Cerakote and Kimber Rimfire. I have not needed any warranty work, and doubt that I ever will.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I've had both. Sig has a better warranty. You get a lot of gun for your money with Sig.

But I have 2 Kimber Stainless Targets in 9mm and 10mm. Both can be had new for under $1000 and they are fantastic gun. Much tighter than the Sigs I've owned. Any Kimber over $1000 and I think you just pay for the name. Under $1k, they are great guns.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i actually believed that to be true, for most pistols, dependent upon the caliber they were chambered in.

i had always owned nothing but Government Model sized 1911's over the years, quite a few, and bought a SA Loaded Micro Compact 45 that has the 3" barrel. i fully expected the recoil to be stiffer due to it's barrel length, frame material and size. i was very suprised at the fact that it wasn't at all that much more recoil. the recoil does feel differently, but not harsh by any means. even the wife enjoys shooting with it and hits decently with it.

again life proves there are exceptions to every rule.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  16. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Kimber makes a pretty gun, but their warranty (only 1 year) sucks. I'd go with the Sig instead.

17. hmh

hmh New Member

I have a kimber 1911 and love it that being said I would buy the sig.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

My brother is a Kimber lover. There is a range near his home. I usually shoot 500 rounds through a kimber every time I visit. I have yet to have a complaint with any of his Kimbers. Kimbers are expensive but you get night sights that are an added value.

I have never fired a sig 1911. I have no opinion on sig.

19. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2010/07/kimber-warrior.html

A friend traded for a Kimber and I wanted a 45 with a light rail, we were trying to work out a trade when I came across this article in the link above. Now I might have been able to go for it anyway because I'm not a hard user like a cop or a grunt, but my buddy was into the gun at a premium and I don't see the value. I honestly think I would buy a Ruger first simply because if you leave it stock they will fix it or replace it if it tears up. And as a multiple mini 14 owner I can be pretty critical of Ruger. Don't know about a Sig 1911 but everything I've seen from them looks good.