Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been running an AK main in airsoft, I'm loving the feel of it, and am very interested in getting a real one. I am admittedly new to the world of modern weaponry, and know nothing about how to find a good one. Anyone got any recommendations on brand or something like that? Prefer to not spend more than a few grand, but am wanting something good that doesn't rust too bad, and is reliable. Thank you all in advance.

· Registered
1,716 Posts
I’d keep an eye out for a palmetto state armory. Heard multiple people say kalashnikov USA is hit or miss on quality but no first hand experience. I’d rather have an older yugo or Arsenal though. Apex gun parts has demilled kits right now, you can get the receiver there too.

· Premium Member
15,888 Posts
PSA sells an American made AK that passed the AK Operators Union 5000 round torture test. However Uncle Joe banned import of Russian guns and ammo. 7.62x39 ammo prices are climbing again. It wont be as cheap to shoot anymore.

Reactions: SSMINI30

· Registered
548 Posts
Yeah, I hear only good about Palmetto State.
I bought my first AR locally about 4 years ago...I think? it is Anderson Arms? I know that sounds funny, but I put a few hundred round through it and stuck it in a corner in a closet and then piled up junk in front of it. Haven't seen it since. Probably need to pull it out and function test it? My big mistake with it was putting a red dot on it instead of a scope. I'll rectify that someday.

· Banned
7 Posts
I have an Arsenal, Inc. of Las Vegas AK-74; it's got a milled receiver and rugged polymer furniture on it, too. Out to 300 yards (which is as far as I can shoot around here) it's every bit as accurate as my Colt LE6920. In fact between these two carbines I actually prefer to use the Arsenal AK-74 over the Colt carbine.

· Registered
1,393 Posts
Just a little info. The milled receiver AKs are a little more accurate than the stamped receivers. The stamped receiver gun are still plenty accurate. I bought a WASR10 years ago & with a good scope I could hit gongs at 400yds away. I have built many AKs since then but it cost more to build one than a new gun costs.

· Premium Member
6,921 Posts
I'll take this sideways. If you are sure you want one, go for it. It's a gun and I like guns. I can buy any gun I want and don't have and AK and it's more than doubtful I'll get an AK. I have an AR and another .223/5.56 that I'd rather have. Russian ammo is banned but for what is not in Russia right now. When it runs through the supply chain, that's it, sadly. Were I to buy an AK, I would want one that would eat "cheap" Russian ammo like they were originally designed and made to do. Maybe all of them are that way or better, I don't know. I agree with post #3. Main thing is just get a gun!

· Registered
1,393 Posts

· Premium Member
S&W 637-2, SIG 365 Subcompact
13,603 Posts
That is very interesting, thanks 7.62 for the link. Surely we are all interested in what the final price will be, but it will have to be cheaper than brass cased cartridges.

· Premium Member
15,888 Posts
There are a lot more countries making 7.62x39 than Russia and the ammo is not banned from them.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSMINI30

· Registered
5 Posts
So I've been running an AK main in airsoft, I'm loving the feel of it, and am very interested in getting a real one. I am admittedly new to the world of modern weaponry, and know nothing about how to find a good one. Anyone got any recommendations on brand or something like that? Prefer to not spend more than a few grand, but am wanting something good that doesn't rust too bad, and is reliable. Thank you all in advance.

· Registered
25 Posts
Another Make would be Norinco they make a pretty good firearm. I have a SKS made by them
You are aware, are you not that an Original Norinco AK in it's box with 3 mags and bayonet is going for North of $3000. They haven't been imported since the Clinton administration banned their importation.

The good news is that PSA is in process of making a Norinco replica that will be selling for about $1200 retail.

· Premium Member
7,334 Posts
You are aware, are you not that an Original Norinco AK in it's box with 3 mags and bayonet is going for North of $3000. They haven't been imported since the Clinton administration banned their importation.

The good news is that PSA is in process of making a Norinco replica that will be selling for about $1200 retail.
Bought one of those in I think 1989. Still have her also.

· Proud to be an American
4,140 Posts
I bought a Wasr10 some years back it was fun to shoot and ammo was cheap so I bought a little over 6000 rounds. Iron sights on a rifle have never been my preference so I mounted an inexpensive scope on it and was impressed at the 100 yard accuracy and moved out to 200 yards and again not too bad! We have a 10" gong on the 200 yard range and I can consistently ring it with that cheap Russian ammo! From my home the furthest I can see is 50/60 yards so good enough!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts