Stripping?

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by Soliferrum, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

got my hands on a derringer that is so caked with black paint, the letters are almost completely filled in and illegible. Honestly, its like the parts came out of the oven on a rack and they just hosed it down and called it good. honestly, even the insides of the barrels are painted its disgusting.

i see all the advice in the world for painting a firearm, but how are you all stripping it? is it seriously just, dump it in paint thinner, come back later? i took a small small wire wheel on some piss ant dremel to a short part of the barrels, i know thats a no no but im not restoring it im just getting the sh!t off of it, besides it still wasnt doing a good job of it. And dont tell me sand blasting, sorry, i dont "got a buddy" somewhere that has one.

i just figured hand sanding it with fine grit but if there is an easier way it would help greatly.

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

totally disappointed :mad: ... not what I was expecting at all :(

on a serious note I have never refinished a firearm but I would think paint thinner would work fine, just let it soak a while

3. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

heh-heh giggidy

yea i just didnt know if that would actually work for such caked on baked paint. but if that is what works the best, then crock potting it it is.

4. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Two days in paint thinner, PB Blaster, WD40 should fix it right up.

5. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

should it just fall right off, or do i have to wire brush that whore?

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Chances are you will still end up with a brush against it.
    If you have an air compressor, consider getting a paint removal gel (follow the directions carefully).
    Most will have you use water to remove the old paint. Use the compressor to blow dry the piece.
    Don't forget to lube the bare metal if you don't want a piece of rust on your hands.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I use the gel strippers too. It jut seems to wok a little better. What kind o finish are you going to put back on it?

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I have my doubts about paint thinner working. Lacquer thinner might work. Best would be a paint remover. Many products may wreck the grips. Should not have to use a wire brush, at most a nylon brush.

9. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

well i plan on going to home depot and asking them for the strongest stuff they got. I want to just make it shiney, the bare metal. ill have to research on how to finish it cause i just wire strip then krylon all my guns. this one belongs to the woman so im tryin to make it purdy.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Take a look at Alumahyde or durakote(?)

For some applications, a clear coat (automotive wheel paint) may protect your investment

11. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

i have no idea what alumahyde is, and that duracote crap, is it that that stuff they sell at hobby lobby for the airbrush painters? cause that aint happenin. i love my girl, but not enough for 200+ bucks for a pink coat on a dinky firearm. <- orginally she wanted it pink, i told her hell to the no, now im just tryin to make it shiny.

what about that polish stuff? does that protect at all or is it just cleaning?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  12. SCPossum

SCPossum New Member

Sandblast

You need to strip it with a sandblasting unit with the fine grit aluminum oxide. Use it to strip off the finish without altering the metal. If you have some pitting, you can also concentrate on that area ans smooth the pits out.
    You can get one at Harbor Freight. Total cost will be around $100-125 depending on what you buy and if you can find a sale or two.

I use this method to strip duracoat and other firearm finishes when I am not satisfied with the initial result.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  13. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

time and acatone if its paint let soak. at least you aint dealing with rust

14. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Get aircraft paint stripper.Fill a glass bowl enough to cover the gun. Remove all the things that can be unbolted, plastic, wood,etc. Let it sit for an hour or two, and it should just all wipe right off. If it doesn't, do it again. Don't sandblast it; it will pit the metal.

15. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

By the way, your girlfriend might just not like that derringer. They have a very hard trigger pull. I was going to buy my wife one, but she couldn't even pull the trigger.

16. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Use paint stripper if you do not have access to a bead blaster... No sense in buying one if you don't plan to refinish as a hobby. Now for the Duracoat?? Total investment to apply and finish a weapon will be less than $50 if you "don't" have a compressor and a bit more if you gotta buy a compressor. You don't need anything fancy.. just a 2 gal unit will work.

But bottom line... if you are doing this for your GF, don't do a half *** job....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  17. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Sandblasting will not pit the metal but will etch it to a degree and leave it a bit rougher... Glass beads will be smoother since it will not etch like Aluminum Oxide will. I use my blaster all the time restoring firearms..:) Glass beads if I want to reblue, oxide if I plan to duracoat or Parkarize.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  18. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Aluminum oxide does indeed alter the metal... Not much but it does etch it. I think you may be thinking of glass beads... GB's will not remove metal but will remove the finish... I don't recommend the cheaper model blasting cabinet from HF... Go a little higher and get the unit with the side doors... it does not leak near as bad as the cheaper one... voice of exp. :D

Last bit of advice? chuck the plexy glass panel and have a glass shop cut you a custom piece to put in it's place... Plate glass is preferable and it will last forever before getting that fog look like plexy will..