stripper clips..

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by UrbanNinja, Jan 8, 2012.

1. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I recently (finally) picked up some 7.62x39 stripper clips for my SKS.

I keep having an issue when loading the magazine.
    I place the stripper into the stripper clip guide on the charging handle and press the rounds into the magazine. Each time I do this, it stops going in after 8 rounds, leaving 2 rounds on the stripper clip. I have tried 10 different clips, 2 different magazines and 3 different types of ammo.
    I see no obstructions in the receiver.

Ammo: TulAmmo
    Winchester white box
    Russian surplus.
    Magazines:
    Tapco 20 round
    Tapco 10 round , both with plastic followers.

Any suggestions? Solutions? Similar problems?

2. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

I picked some up a while back for my SKS. I really haven't had any issues. I usually have to push the last 2 or 3 in.

3. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Have your thumb as close as you can to base of the bullet near the clip... And dont be gentle.. its a old mil-surp get rough with it!! :p

4. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Lol.. maybe I am being a bit of a "girly man". Ill try a little more force. I just find it strange that 8/10 rds go smooth and 2 fight me.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Magazine spring is being compressed. As it gets full, gets tighter.

As the man said- thumb close to base of cartridge, and be BRISK about it. Like you were being shot at and wanted to reload RIGHT NOW!

6. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I thought of the spring being the problem. but would that still be an issue while only loading 10 rounds in to a 20rnd mag? When manually loading.. it doesn't get tight until the 13th-14th round. Ive never used stripper clips before, therefore I have no idea if there is a tension difference between hand loading or the strips.

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Cant help ya there.. I just have the 10 rd. box on mine.
    The way the Ruskies intended! :p;)