Stripped Lowers and uppers

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by losack, Jul 7, 2012.

1. losack

losack New Member

Okay experts.

We are all having trouble finding parts for builds. Brownell's has been out of stripped uppers. They have a bunch of Aero Precision uppers in stock now for like $72.00 each. Aren't they made for Spike as an off brand? I know they are made for some company but I can't find where I saw the information.

Next questions same old dilemma. I bought two CMMG lowers, $ 119.00 each I could have gotten S&W for $ 149.00 each. Gunsmith said they did a hardness test on the steel same quality. ???? (I built one lower already, I did use a DPMS parts kit because it was available and put a CMMG 9mm upper from CTD). Fire testing sometime this weekend.

Thanks for the clarity or confusion.

2. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

1st question - Who makes Spikes lowers? Correct?

2nd question - ?

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah that second paragraph is confusion not clarity. :p

4. losack

losack New Member

Sorry Mike, the second question was about thoughts on CMMG versus S&W. Lowers.

My ultimate purchase when I'm totally sure of myself will either be DD or Larue Tactical parts for a build.

I guess if I'm purchasing off the shelf Les Baer would be a quality pick.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The CMMG lower is all right, not finished as well as the S&W and probably the magwell isn't flared as nicely but it'll work.

And your gunsmith is an idiot. The AR receivers are not steel.

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking - are you asking if Aero Precision is a brand of Spikes? or are you asking if Aero Precision is a quality lower? :confused:

When it comes to receivers (lower or upper) it is pretty simple - it is either Mil-Spec, better than Mil-Spec or not Mil-Spec. If it's Mil-Spec than the receiver is built to the same standards as all other Mil-Spec receivers.

Personally, I would tend to lean towards Mil-Spec or better ... but maybe I'm weird like that :rolleyes:

7. losack

losack New Member

Quentin, I believe DPMS the dreaded brand around here makes a Stainless Steel receiver in black.

Anything that is not polymer is some kind of steel. Whether It is an alloy or not, correct? I believe there is testing for hardness of all metals.

Don't think calling someone an idiot is necessarily the right way to be but he may be ignorant like me as to terminology.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You were talking about CMMG and S&W not other brands and said "Gunsmith said they did a hardness test on the steel same quality. ????" If so, he was a liar or an idiot.

We're talking aluminum not steel.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  9. losack

losack New Member

Probably just good ole boy BS here in Oklahoma. Some folks if they don't have knowledge BS through anything.

BTW, your statement was AR's are not steel which took our conversation to other brands. But it doesn't really matter.

Mike I do know one smith that is top notch. He's out of the business except for teaching a basic gunsmithing course at the Vo-tech here. Worked for a family owned store and they had a nephew come in and literally ruin their name and the business.

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

No they do not, they make a Mil Spec aluminum receiver that is coated black.

Incorrectomundo - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel

Sorry, if he is a Gunsmith he should no the difference between aluminum and steel and know the proper terminology. If he doesn't than thus he is an idiot ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
  11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

No, you were asking about CMMG and S&W lowers so those were the only receivers I was addressing. Clarity over confusion.

12. losack

losack New Member

That's fine. Thanks for the input.

13. russ

russ New Member

Keep an eye on Midway for parts too. I got the DD upper for my last build from them for a very competitive price.

14. jg3

jg3 New Member

My aero precision upper is marked with a keyhole. Which I believe comes from the same manufacturer as spikes, but by no means am I positive about that.

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If your looking for stripped uppers lemme know we still have a bunch like 40 from our group buy. Everyone took lowers but only a few bought matching uppers. They are from LRB. I will get a price if your interested

16. russ

russ New Member

The keyhole mark is from the forging house, not the machining company. Lots of manufacturers buy the raw forgings from the same place. I believe that Aero Precision is an actual machine shop and not just another place that has someone else do the machining and then puts their name on it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  17. jg3

jg3 New Member

Thanks for clarifying that

18. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

You'd be surprised to find out how many people that should know the difference between steel, aluminum, copper, brass, ect, that don't. I work at a company that does sheet metal and machining. We have the machinists coming over to our side regularly wanting to know "In which scrap bin I should put this?" I say, "that's aluminum." They say; "Yeah, so which bin?" I say; "In the aluminum bin. It's the one with aluminum in it." Blank stare from the machinist. I say; "OK, put it in this one."

19. russ

russ New Member

Big difference between a machinist and a machine operator. We have both where I work and some of the operators would need help figuring out where to put the aluminum scrap.

20. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

There's hardly any operators. Mostly set-up guys. Either one should know, really.......it's part of the job.