Stripped a screw, need help

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Ultimate_sig, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I was working on my 1911 to upgrade my trigger, I was working on taking my grips off and stripped the top of the screw. I cant turn the screw at all and dont want to trash mygrips. If anyone knows how to help plz advise me

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Hex head or flat head screws?

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. ahole

ahole New Member

Soake the screw in oil and the get a squre tiped nail tap it in gently to the center if the screw and use the squre nail head as an ea-out. Unless you have a set of small ea-outs.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

This is what i was gonna suggest pretty much except use thread penetrant

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

5. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Hex, n guessen by ur responses this happens alot. Whats an e out n where do I get it

6. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

An easy out you should be able to get a set at a good hardware store. You can also get them from gunsmithing supply shops like Brownells on the web. Personal I would try the nail first. Putting a piece of duct tape over you grip with hole over the screw will give your grip some protection if you should have any slip.

7. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Check a machine tool store for a ez out or a left handed drill. If you have a vice and a drill press or a mill it will make it easier. I've never done it on a gun but I've done it on tons of cnc tooling.

8. fev

fev New Member

X2 on left handed drill bit.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I always have extra screws and screw stock bushings (standard and oversize) in my 1911 kit.

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I have cut slots in many screws using a Dremel and a dental burr. But it does require extreme care to only cut the screw and not run off into the rest of the gun. The square nail trick works but works better with a cement nail(harder).

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

EZ outs are really called "screw extractors".

12. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

Use a torques bit and a hammer drive it into the stripped hole and then use a ratchet to turn the screw out it should work I've done this a lot on 1911 and much larger screws. Just use a torques bit one size bigger than the Allen wrench u use to remove the other screws.

play the victim, be the victim

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

There are a lot of suggestions here that should do the trick.
    HOWEVER, If you lack the tools or experience with some of the tools and techniques mentioned, I strongly recommend that you simply suck it up and take it to a smith. I've witnessed the fun of a guy try to remove a stuck screw that had the remnants of a broken EZ out still stuck in it from a previous attempt. Experience matters. If you truly value your grips, you will take the time to evaluate all the potential issues.

14. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Easy outs work good, just be sure not to torqe too hard on them and break them. When drilling the pilot hole, be sure to start it dead center. It helps to use a Sharp punch and make a mark dead center so your drill won't "walk" off center.

Also a trick I use is tap out the screw with the Sharp punch. Put the gun in a vice or have someone hold it. Place the punch toward the outside of the head, but not at the extreme edge. Tilt the punch 20 degrees or so, and tap the screw in the direction you want it to go (counterclockwise). Even if you get it loose this way you can spin it out.

15. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Thanks to all, I took itto my gun smith n he did it two minutes for free

16. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

dmm i was just gonna advise beating it out with a punch and a bfh from the other side! but ok glad it worked out for you