striker or hammer?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by JohnnyRingo, Feb 21, 2013.

1. JohnnyRingo

JohnnyRingo New Member

Which do y'all prefer for sd and range shooting and why.

2. AR10

AR10 New Member

I really like a hammer, however, I really like my Glock 20. Go figure.

3. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

I prefer a hammer but with modern semi autos theres not much difference in reliability

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Hammer!!!!!!!!!!

Stop..... Nevermind

5. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Hammer time na na na na na na na na cant touch this

6. kytowboater

Dang, I was trying to avoid that. Lmao

7. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I prefer a hammer on my handguns

8. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Sorry couldnt resist after u set it up

9. kytowboater

Seeing if it would get played on. Thank you for long along.

10. austin92

austin92 New Member

Hope the OP doesn't mind me asking here, trying not to start a new thread and Learn the difference between da, sa, and dao semi autos. Any pointers?

11. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Da, Sa, Dao, and Striker are all completely different from one another, all are fine functional guns, you have to decide which you are comfortable with for the intended use. I perosnally don't like strikers or dao because I hate the triggers, my pistols aren't only for sd but for sd as well as plinking and I cannot shoot a dao or striker as proficiently as a Sa. Though for a sd purpose where the intended target is going to be within 7 yds most any will be fine.

12. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

DA: Double Action = When you squeeze trigger the hammer comes back until it eventually releases and weapon fires.

SA: Single Action= Hammer will stay down until "cocked" by shooter. When trigger is pulled the hammer falls and weapon fires, the action of the slide returns hammer to cocked position and can be fired immediately.

SAO : Double Action Only= just as it sounds the hammer does not cock after weapon is fired and returns to same position every time, and stays until trigger is pulled again.

To further confuse you (lol) some pistols are DA on first shot and SA for the rest of the firing sequence. They will usually have a "de cocker" on side of frame so the hammer can be dropped safely without firing the weapon.

Hope all that makes sense.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I don't have a preference of striker or hammer as long as it goes "BANG".

(But there are some I think should be put under the hammer)

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Strikers usually give faster lock time and that enhances accuracy.

15. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

This is all about how the hammer of a gun is cocked.....(whether or not that cocking process is handled mechanically by the gun's trigger mechanism or manually by the shooter's hand):

SA = Single action - In a revolver, this means that the hammer can only be cocked manually by the shooter's hand/thumb. The trigger only servers to fire or release the hammer to fire. Pulling the trigger (with the hammer down) will not cock the hammer. In a semi-auto pistol, this is the same thing for the first round fired. However after the first round fired the action of the slide will push back and re-cock the hammer (but not the trigger - pulling the trigger with the hammer down will not cock the hammer).

DA = Double action - This means that the hammer can be cocked either manually by the shooter's hand OR by the action of pulling the trigger. So when the hammer is down, you can simply pull the trigger and the mechanical action from that will both cock the hammer and release it to fire.

DAO = Double action only - Many small, concealable & hammerless revolvers are of this action type. This means that you can only cock the hammer by the mechanical action of pulling the trigger & firing. The hammer cannot be cocked manually by the shooter's hand (most of these types of guns do not have an external or exposed hammer to cock).

Also think of it this way....
    When you pull the trigger to fire the pistol - is the hammer already back (ie...are you pulling the trigger only to release and already cocked hammer)? If so, that is single action or using the trigger as single action.

If you pull the trigger to fire the pistol - is the hammer down and the pulling of the trigger mechanically moves the hammer back to 1st cock and then also release to fire? That is double action.

Hope that helps.....

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  16. austin92

austin92 New Member

I understand the difference with an exposed hammer. It's striker fired I was sorta lost on. Would my s&w sigma be dao?

17. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Probably - yes (although I am not familiar with a Sigma)...
    But if it is striker fired then it would have to be either DAO or SA. My guess is that it is DAO.
    My FN FiveSeven is SA though.

On yours, before you rack the slide (ie...cock the striker), if you can pull the trigger and that action both cocks the striker and fires it - then yes, DAO.
    (of course, and I know that you already know this, be very careful to test this with no ammunition loaded in the gun - or at the range).

18. vector16

vector16 New Member

ALL strikers are DAO. Your Sigma is included in the striker family.
    What all have you done to your sigma? I had one that I recently sold that I put 30K rounds thru without a single malfunction. Have you done all the trigger jobs and the Apex Tactical spring kit?

19. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Almost every military on the planet uses hammer fired weapons WITH safeties. The exception being Austria w Glock. Striker fired weapons are reliable but I don't know if they have second strike capability.

National Armory's move very slowly and are often frightened by anything new. However, as decisions become more budget driven, we may see this change.

20. vector16

vector16 New Member

Um, we use Glock pistols now too in out military. Long past the days of my day of the Beretta or my fathers or grandfathers of the 1911. I think the 1911 is still used for officers in the Navy tho