Striker fired pistols

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Gojubrian, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Are striker fired pistols like the XD double or single action?

Is there any disadvantage or concerns with striker fired pistols vs. external hammer pistols?

2. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

I believe they can be both depending on whether or not the trigger loads and releases the striker (Glock) or simply releases it after the slide has compressed the striker (XDM).

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The 1911 has an exposed hammer therefore all pistols should be equipped with such.

Seriously, it's just a matter of personal preference but I guess one advantage is you could cock an exposed hammer if you experienced a light strike. (Taurus offers second-strike capability on some of theirs I know)

4. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

haha thanks! you made me laugh out loud in the library, now everyone is looking at me.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I was thinking about this the other night with my XD. I can't find a way to get a round chambered without racking the slide (disassembly not considered). Racking the slide cocks the striker. I'm fairly certain that pulling the trigger again won't recock the striker and release it. I guess this makes it a single action.

I want a decocker on my next pistol, so i suppose i will need an external hammer. Maybe i will find an inexpensive cz82 at the gun show Saturday.

6. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

If pressing the trigger serves to cock the weapon, it's a double action.

7. WDB

WDB New Member

A good question.
    As I understand it a single action pistol requires the hammer or slide to be cocked/charged for each shot. Striker fired pistols require the slided to be cocked/charged for the first round then the following rounds do not require cocking/charging. I would consider the striker to be a DA IMHO. I could be wrong and I'm surprised that some of FTF gun ghru's haven't provided the tech either way.

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

All semi autos require the slide or bolt to cycle to chamber the next round so none of them are a true DA like a revolver - which brings the next round into play and cocks & releases the hammer.

I think most striker fired guns are a hybrid in that some slide movement is required to "reset" the striker for the next shot. I say hybrid as this reset may only partially "cock" the striker and the trigger pull does the rest. As I had mentioned, Taurus has a true DA second strike capability and it's the only one that comes to mind other than the Walther P99 which is a striker fired gun that also has a decocker...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  9. WDB

WDB New Member

Not familar with the Taurus or the P99, after decocking do you have to pull the slide again or flip the decocker to the fire position? If you have to pull the slide does the live round in the chamber eject or stay put? Might seem like stupid (might be) had to ask and expose my lack of experience with strikers with a decocker.

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The Taurus 24/7 Pro series (and maybe other Taurii) the trigger actually works as a true DA in that you can cock & fire the gun by trigger alone. Ditto on the P99 as the trigger reverts to true DA mode when it's decocked.

Most striker fired guns require at least a partial cycle of the slide to reset the striker. Most do not have to be cycled far enough to actually eject the round though and some require very little slide movement to accomplish this...

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

A stiker fired weapon is one of it's own. It's not a double action, it's not a single action, it's striker fired. I would compare it to single action in feel. NGIB covered it well.

12. WDB

WDB New Member

Good info, do you have expereince with either the 24/7 or the P99? If so I'd like to hear your thoughts (mainly trigger action/pull when decocked).

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Had one of each. The DA pull on both of them is very similar to the DA pull of a Sig. No longer have any DA/SA semi autos (other than my PPK) as I just don't shoot them as well as SA guns...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  14. slammr

slammr New Member

The Springfield XD and XDM are single action only. You must rack the slide (or fire round) to set/reset the trigger.

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm sorry but, no they are not. They are striker fired like a Glock. A single action semi auto would be a 1911 or High Point.

Single action autos needs the slide to cycle completely in order to cock. A striker fired weapon such as and XD does not. You can pull the slide back 1/2-3/4" and the trigger will reset.

16. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

Strikers are a system to their own, however individual designs will give the feel of either a single or double action. Glocks feel like traditional double actions yet are technically not as they cannot set and cock the striker after a failure to fire. I have a Savage 1917 which requires the slide to fully cycle in order to set the striker and has a short pull trigger like a 1911 (also has a cocking piece for second strikes or decocking). Taurus has a hybrid double action striker system which allows the trigger to reset and cock the striker after a failure to fire (second strike). So lets just call them Striker actions.