Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the new Sig P320 M17 without thumb safety. What is the conventional wisdom on how this pistol should be carried. As a longtime 1911 shooter, it makes be a bit nervous with the lack of thumb or grip safety. I understand keeping the booger-puller of the bang switch and I understand that the main safety lies between the ears, but is it considered safe to carry this with a round in the chamber and the striker cocked and the only thing between you an boom is a short, light trigger pull?

If you have to rack the slide to bring it to function, it is damn near useless.

Am I being over paranoid?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I carry my striker-fired pistol both chambered and unchamberd. And I’m highly comfortable in both.

Police officers carry their Glocks chambered all day and all night.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to assume that that was the answer, but it still makes me feel a little icky putting a 100% ready to fire pistol in my holster, especially with the light trigger on the Sig. I guess I will get used to it.

I haven't expended enough of my precious 9MM on this one to have sound judgement about it, but what I have shot, I have liked. I am just a few rounds over 1500 from being empty with no gas station in site. And, not just no, but hell no, I ain't paying a buck and a quarter a round for 9MM.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Chain, your concern in the original post is primarily why I dislike striker-fired pistols. My carry pistol is a DA/SA Bersa with a real hammer and a decocker, round in the chamber. Once it is decocked and the hammer is forward, I place it in the fire mode. The DA pull is significant enough to avoid any AD/NDs.

·
Premium Member
14,142 Posts
Took a while to get over it but I have not had any accidents. The safety blade in the trigger prevents drop fire and people still managed to shoot themselves with safeties. It may be easier to train people to keep the finger off the trigger than to not release the safety while it it hasn't cleared the holster. There have been some cases (more than will admit) where people forgot to release the safety.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You kind of answered your own question didn't you?
The question was, is this, "do people, that are more knowledgeable than I am, consider carrying this pistol holstered and cocked as safe?"

·
Registered
640 Posts
So the new Sig P320 M17 without thumb safety. What is the conventional wisdom on how this pistol should be carried. As a longtime 1911 shooter, it makes be a bit nervous with the lack of thumb or grip safety. I understand keeping the booger-puller of the bang switch and I understand that the main safety lies between the ears, but is it considered safe to carry this with a round in the chamber and the striker cocked and the only thing between you an boom is a short, light trigger pull?

If you have to rack the slide to bring it to function, it is damn near useless.

Am I being over paranoid?
I don’t think it is paranoid at all. Simply taking into consideration a different firearm that at first does not seem at all as safe as what you were used to. I made a similar change due to surgeries that resulted in me being a really skinny poke, and it became very uncomfortable to carry my Springfield RO Compact due to the weight of the metal framed 1911. Tried an XD Mod 2 for a while, which has both grip and trigger blade safety but it just wasn’t quite right to be reasonably comfortable all day. Switched to Sig P-365 with absolutely no safety except, as you said, “keeping bugger puller off the bang switch.” I had some concerns much like you. I am really conscious of clothing possibly getting into the trigger when holstering. After a fashion I have become quite comfortable with this little pistol. It just took me a while using and shooting and handling with holster...etc. Yes, I carry with one in the pipe.

P320 is a nice pistol...I could even be a little envious. :)

·
Supporting Member
11,808 Posts
Chain

I have carried a Glock for years on the PD and I have a Model 27 I sometimes carry for concealment. Obviously the Booger--Puller is always the key regardless of the weapon. However, carrying your new P320 IMO. The Holster is the Key to not worrying about it not having a grip or manual safety. For concealment with my Glock Model 27 Compact is I carry it in a Fobus (Like a Kydex Hard Holster) which covers the Trigger and Trigger Guard until drawn. When drawing as you know, we should always keep our trigger finger straight along side the Pistol until coming up on target. So to me no problem and no worry at all. I always keep a round in the Chamber on the striker fired pistols.

·
Administrator
26,020 Posts
Should NOT be a problem carrying with one up the spout. The most common cause of what is sometimes called "Glock leg" is trying to REHOLSTER the gun- WITH FINGER ON TRIGGER. Of course when you do that, holster pushes against finger, which pushes on the trigger, at which point the gun does exactly what you told it to do.

owowowowowowow

As far as carrying any auto pistol with an empty chamber- you COULD find yourself trying to rack a slide- but only having one hand to do that. Can it be done? Sure- but it takes time.

·
Banned
5,559 Posts
Carry strike fired no external safety pistols constantly.
Keep finger off the trigger.
Get a decent holster that covers the trigger, leather etc. Wiil do doesnt have to be a hard case holster.

Biggest thing to watch is when reupholstering getting loose clothing, etc caught in the trigger. That accounts for most striker fired ngs.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The question was, is this, "do people, that are more knowledgeable than I am, consider carrying this pistol holstered and cocked as safe?"
I've carried Glock, an M&P 9 and an M&P 40 with a round in the chamber for several years.

Multiple police departments do the same. If there was a large number of NDs that weren't user error we would have heard about it.

The most common advice I've heard for people who aren't sure is to unload the weapon, cock it and carry it around in a holster for a week and see if the striker fires

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
When i switched from the P95 to my VP40 i had the same concerns..and sometimes i switch them up. Like others have said..a good holster that covers the trigger..wheres your finger..? and watch things that can snag the trigger.. But to be honest.. the P95..one in the pipe and a flick of the de cocker is still ready to go..and less stressful for me.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
With all due respect when I see people freaking out about carrying one in the chamber (AKA a loaded gun) it tells me that they really don't have a lot of training or experience.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts