Strike One, anyone

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mercator, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The Strike One has the lowest bore axis, supposedly because it uses the old Bergmann locking system of which I know little except that it does not tilt the barrel. The trigger is reportedly linear, like the 1911. And the frame is polymer.

What is really missing is member experience.

Attached Files:

2. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks interesting.

STRIKE ONE pistol |Full Review|--Arsenal Firearms - YouTube
    Video for strike one pistol review
    ▶ 17:13
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qufoD83K4PE[/ame]

3. indy36

indy36 New Member

I'm sure I'll have one at some point.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

If you watch the cycle in slo mo you see a more or less normal muzzle flip. At least I do.

I don't believe a tenth or even a fifth of a inch difference is by itself any predictor. Just yesterday I shot my SIG, with a relatively high b.a. Same rate of fire, same size pattern. Your own grip and technique override the small difference in the measurements. As much as I'd like to shoot one, I wouldn't pay $800 on these claims.

Same for the trigger. Sounds good. But the same SIG of mine has a pivoting trigger, and it will go against a 1911 any day.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I researched it a bit. The design is apparently russian. It was done for the military, but rejected. (Why, not clear, but not necessarily because it's bad) So it is now built in Italy for the newly formed Arsenal Firearms. Built by whom (Tanfoglio?) - no idea. Any relation to Arsenal that sells AK's out of Las Vegas - anyone's guess.

Maybe an early adopter turns up here. The gun is on sale, easy to get.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

9. indy36

indy36 New Member

I can't wait to get one. I can almost guarantee that I will love it. I'd use it for IDPA, stock service pistol class.

It meets all my needs. I'm a big fan of low bore axis, and this gun is the lowest.

[​IMG]

I've owned and competed with the Springfield XD-M, the Glock 34, the HK P30L, and ditched all of them for the Smith & Wesson M&P Pro Series. I see this Arsenal pistol and I see something I know I'll like.

[​IMG]

That non-tilting barrel design equals accuracy.

[​IMG]

I see a winner here, for me. I just dumped a FDE Sig P320 with flat Apex trigger because I didn't like its higher bore axis. I'm ready to try this Arsenal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bring it on!

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The Canik TP9SA could be a contender for a competition gun. Said to have a very nice trigger in the world of striker fired guns. Cost is about half the price of the Strike One. Similar to a Walther p99 but with "nicer trigger". May not have quite as low a bore axis as the Strike One, but the video seemed to illustrate pretty clearly that the difference between the Glock and Strike One bore axis did not seem to change overall muzzle flip or shot-to-shot recovery time. So, if gambling in finding a new platform in a striker fired gun for competition, it seems like there is less money at risk up front to try the Canik.

The new locking system (or reinvention of the Bergmann system) could be interesting but, I don't know if it is worth twice the cost.

One thing that I see on the Strike One that I think is s big design mistake is building the rear sight as a part of the rear slide plate. It makes replacing the rear sight a bigger problem than a traditional dovetail design. If the front sight is dovetailed in, then I gues you still have windage adjustment and the ability to put on a high visibility front sight. Just not jazzed about that rear sight though.

Really don't see anything about the strike one to warrant the price other than current demand against a sluggish supply.

11. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Merc,

Arsenal Firearms is not related in any way to Arsenal Inc.

I've handled several examples, but haven't shot one yet. The action is decidedly smoother than a Glock and the trigger is also better. I'm having a hard time with the $1K price tag for a striker fired 9MM pistol, but I'm pretty close to buying it anyway.

The only feature it lacks that I really want is an ambi slide release. I am satisfied with the ambi mag release, no finger grooves, and picatinny rail (I want the ability to transfer my X200 between my carbine and pistol without changing the locking plate on the light). The grip does not feel quite as "grippy" as my Gen 4 Glock's grip and the magazine release takes a little more effort to actuate, but those are my only complaints. The weight of the pistol is closer to a Steyr L9 than a Glock 17.

12. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I think a little skepticism is healthy for your wallet. Maybe I'll end up buying and adoring this gun. For now, here is a typical positive review.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DMp-X-t9Y8[/ame]

At about 5-minute mark these guys are gushing about a slowfire group from the S1 at FIVE yards. This much is expected from any handgun. They think it's holy grail.

Here is one from a SIG, known for the high bore axis, at 7 yards, up tempo.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl7dyS2M1nY[/ame]

13. indy36

indy36 New Member

For the record, that Sig in your video is an X-5, which runs close to $3,000

[​IMG]

Which has more in common with a CZ or Witness race gun than a sub $1,000 plastic duty pistol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

That's true, here is a stock G30 at 10. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQfajxIZxUI[/ame]

I just haven't seen what the S1 can do better. I want YOU to buy it and tell us all about it :)

15. weapon

weapon New Member

The Strike One is about $825-$900 depending on finish options for the standard model. While I am tempted by it, that price throws me a little when I can get a Canik TP9V2 for $330 (and with a minor bit of trigger tweaking, the Canik is outstanding).

Is 9mm muzzle flip really that much of an issue in a full sized 9mm pistol? I didn't realize full sized 9mm pistols actually had muzzle flip. Lol

16. indy36

indy36 New Member

I, for one, will never buy a pistol, or anything, by Century (made by or imported by) ever again. I got so boned on the Galil they assembled that I've written them off. The head space was incorrect, the receiver's Rockwell hardness was way too low, the trunnion was crooked, it wouldn't feed right, and it wouldn't eject right. Screw that company. Google them. You'll find a zillion complaints. The last thing in the world I want is a giant "Century Arms" boldly laid out on the side of my gun. Yuck!

[​IMG]

Now, to be fair, I've never fired a Canik. I guess it's possible they may be fine, let's see what they are about...I Google, and I see this, first thing:

[​IMG]

Okay, tells me what I need to know. Moving on. If they float your boat, good for you. They don't do it for me.

The best guns for the SSP division in IDPA, of which I've owned and used 3, are:

The Springfield XDm 5.25
    [​IMG]

The Walther PPQ M2 long slide
    [​IMG]

The Smith & Wesson M&P Pro Series
    [​IMG]

The Glock 34
    [​IMG]

The FN FNS-9 Long Slide
    [​IMG]

The H&K VP9
    [​IMG]

Of all of those, the most popular is the Glock 34, then the Smith. These are the work horses, the proven, the reliable. These are not 'the less expensive options' or the 'probably as good as'.

When I look at those guns above, and what makes them great, I see those same qualities in the S1.

[​IMG]

"Cheap" is a relative term. If you're broke or extremely frugal then anything that goes bang below $400 is probably what you like. I get that. Not everyone can afford the same things. You have to do what is right for you. I find that a rock solid and proven plastic competition gun falls between $600 and $1,000. I'm comfortable with that. I'm not looking for cheaper options or 'is probably as good as'. I want the best. I want that for every gun I buy.

17. weapon

weapon New Member

One guy on the Internet says the Canik is a bad choice and you find that good enough? Interesting...but you may want to do some research on the company. They are not assembled by Century. They are manufactured by Canik which is a subsidiary of a company that manufactures low tech stuff like stealth bombers, attack helicopters and ballistic missile systems. Canik's factory is ISO9000 or ISO9001 certified (I honestly don't remember which but it is one or the other). They also happen to be the largest purchaser of Cerakote in the world.

I own Glocks, Sigs, Colts, Rugers, Smith and Wessons and just about every other brand imaginable over the last 30+ years which included several years in IPSC/USPSA. There are several pistols in my collection that are over $1000 and some over $3000, and, in my humble opinion, the TP9V2 should cost at least twice what they are currently charging for it. The reason it is currently priced so well is Canik is trying to get a foot in the door of the US gun market.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

19. weapon

weapon New Member

No need to watch the video - that is YankeeMarshall's video for a different pistol( the TP9SA) and I have seen it before. His complaint about the TP9SA was the decocker places the striker into a deactivated position if you use it and to make the gun capable of firing, you have to do what is basically a press check to the slide to re-cock the striker. The Yankee Marshall proclaimed this to be a liability on a self defense gun even though it is basically impossible to accidentally engage the decocker.

HOWEVER, that video does not apply to the Canik TP9V2 as it is not the TP9SA. The V2 is a DA/SA. If you hit the decocker on the V2, it just puts you in DA trigger mode.

Look at my previous post. I clearly stated that I was talking about the TP9V2. Now look at the video. He clearly states he is talking about the TP9SA. The video is irrelevant.

20. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Give it time, who knows, when enough are produced the price should drop

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016