Strike Anywhere Matches

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by clr8ter, Aug 27, 2012.

1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Seeing as how the Ohio Blue Tip SA matches aren't available anymore, and seeing as how I cannot bring myself to open the sealed package of 2 boxes of 250 I have, I went on a hunt for some. Recently, we went to Canada, and I wondered if they were available up there. So I went to a supermarket, and sure enough they had them. Not the beloved OBT, but a brand called Redbird. Made by a company (it doesn't say who), in the USA. So I bought most of what they had.

When I opened the box, I was pleased. The quality looked good, most of the matches were similar, and evenly coated. Several of us struck a whole bunch of them, and they worked great. Rusty sheet metal, rocks, non rusty sheet metal, zippers, ect. They do stink like hell, though. My wife put them in the garage because they were stinking up the kitchen.

So, if you go to Canada, I'd recommend buying some. I'll be saving my OBT and lighting the wood stove with these.

2. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I heard they were crappy. Do you have an opinion ion them?

4. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

I don't know about crappy. They might not be as reliable as Ohio Blues were but they work.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I agree. I have several boxes. I have found strike anywhere matches at the local family owned hardware store. I bought a bunch of boxes. They were kind of pricey but I wanted them. I have about 6 boxes now. I just checked, they are all Diamond brand. The newer boxes say "Extra thick, extra long burning".

When we were kids, my brother and I would light them off our teeth. :eek:

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

In Boy Scouts we used to split them down the middle with

a sheath knife or hand axe. Both halves would light up...

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

here's a tip for you. to make waterproof matches, dip the match heads in melted candle wax and let harden. just a light coating is needed. they still work as usual.

8. winds-of-change

Good idea. I never thought of that.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IIRC, it's an old Boy Scout tip.

10. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Clear nail polish works too and is easier because you don't have to melt anything and it just dipping it in the bottle keeps it to a light coat that comes off with easily as you strike it.

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Winds, what's kind of pricey? For 2 boxes of 250, I paid $2.50.

Yeah, we used to make them waterproof with nail polish in the Boy Scouts, too. When you just play with most of them and waste them, it really doesn't matter that they are waterproof, LOL.

After reading on the internet, it seems more like they are still legal to sell, but they got a bad rap, and stores don't want them on their shelves, and OBT may have gone out of business. Diamond is one of the only ones still making them. Them and the Redbird people.

12. winds-of-change

It's been a while since I bought them but I think it was about $2.69 a box of 250.

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Coating the matches also gives them some protection from humidity which will kill them. Seal them in a vacuum food bag for long term storage.

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Oh, OK, I think that's reasonable.....

15. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I might have to try that! I happen to have some extra clear nail polish...

16. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

We have a local chain store here, Rural King, I bought 3 of the 250 count boxes on sale for .99 each. I also got,I think, 8 of the 50 count boxes for the same price. Will have to look this weekend to see what the regular price is.

17. winds-of-change

I'll bet colored nail polish would work just as well. I can't think of any reason why only clear would work.

18. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

LOL! I just bought 640 (20 boxes of 32) for $6.85.

19. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I've only read where people suggest wax, and not necessarily soft candle wax, to waterproof a match. Never met anyone who did it that way. Clear nail polish is well known and accepted. Basically a hard, thin, plastic coat. It doesn't melt. It doesn't soak oils into the head of the match, ruining it for when you need it most. Doesn't leave a trail of wax on the striker, ruining that, on your zipper (though maybe it needs lubrication), or whatever else you're rubbing it on.

Maybe Axxe was thinking of lipstick?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  20. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

I have heard of melted paraffin.