Stray cats

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bigbomar4, Sep 22, 2013.

1. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Is there any way to keep stray cats away yet still letting my cat come in the yard? My cat stays outside because I am way to allergic to let him in the house. There are four stray cats that I have seen in the neighborhood and I just caught two of them eating out of my cats food bowl.

I’m thinking maybe trap them and release them outside of town or take them to the shelter but the city had a trap behind my house for awhile and I don’t think they ever caught any cats.

Any suggestions?

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Granulated Cougar urine. no joke,..it keeps them away....also works on everything from Feral cats up to mtn. lions

3. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Wouldn't that also keep my cat away?

I was hoping for some kinda automatic laser targeting air soft turret that only my cats collar would deactivate or something. I expect better than powdered cat piss from you people. lol

If I was trying to keep ALL of the cats away a thin line of crushed red pepper around the yard will do the trick.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think it's impossible to keep strays away and let only your cat in the yard. Please don't trap and remove those cats. If you do trap them, please take them to a shelter. Are you sure they're strays and not your neighbor's cats? Is there any enclosed porch or something you can let your cat into that the strays might not enter? Or maybe a basement you can let your cat into yet keeping him from the main house?

5. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A thin line of crushed pepper probably wouldn't work as cats don't smell every inch of the ground they walk on. Even knowing it was there, they could jump over it with ease.

Traps are only as good as their bait. I once trapped a dozen feral cars in about eight days and turned them over to animal control (just in case one wasn't feral) by using cans of tuna. Very few cats will turn that down! I also found that it helps to use a larger trap, about medium to large dog size, as the cat isn't as leery of the larger open area in the trap. Covering it with brush and leaves so it didn't look as trap-like also helped. You'll have to keep your cat away (friend or boarding) so he doesn't keep tripping it.

Another effective deterrent is a motion activated Rain Bird reciprocating sprinkler. This turns on and runs for 5-10 minutes every time an animal activates the sensor. We use it for deer on our property to protect the garden and it works. As much as cats hate water, I know it would work on them, but unsure how you could protect your own kitty from getting soaked.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Take your cat to a pound and pick up a Pit Bull. The cats won't eat his food.:D

7. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I know my neighbors cats and I have not seen any of them in my back yard. I don't have any type of enclosed back porch or basement.

8. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Seriously? You don't just shoot the damn things?

9. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I used that at my old house and it worked 100% of the time... until it rained.

10. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

In general I hate cats and they normally hate me but this one is working for my by keeping pests away from the garden and the house and for some reason he likes me.

11. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I'm gonna assume you mean with something like an airsoft or a water gun. If so I would if I was fast enough. They take off like a rocket when I open the back door.

12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

The cat next door is brazen. He's not even scared of Gator...and Gator wants to eat him...

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

A paint ball gun and an open window. :D Seriously, if they take off running when you open the door, don't open the door.

try blood meal. available at most hardware stores in lawn and garden. I used to use it when I live in NC to keep possums out of my sheds. Sprinkle it around the yard. and it will keep most pests out.

14. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

feed your cat inside patio etc....

15. winds-of-change

Seriously, this is the only way to keep the strays from eating your cat's food. And they'll eventually wander off to someplace else that does have food for them.

16. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I'll play. Where does one buy granulated cougar urine? Also, does it have to be reapplied after it rains?

Okay. One more. How does one harvest cougar pee? I've tried to catch a urine sample from my dog, and that's darn near impossible. They gave me a little french fry tray looking thing and told me to follow the dog when I let him out. That was it. That was the end of the instructions. They failed to mention that a dog can shut it off long before that catch tray is ever in position, let alone the reaction of the neighbors watching me trying to collect a sample. That vet is either a sadist or has one warped sense of humor.

17. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

At the risk of upsetting a lot of people here shoot them.
    Don't even consider trapping them and then taking them away and releasing them in the wild because they will just kill any local fauna like lizards and birds.
    If you must trap them take them to the local pound or where ever and let them deal with these feral cats. In probably a lot of cases they'll more than likely put them down.

Here in Australia we have a bad feral cat problem and most hunters here will shoot a cat on sight in the bush because people can't be bothered to take them to the local RSPCA and have them either put down or sold to somebody who will look after them so they release them into the bush to fend for them selves and it's here where they do the most damage to local native wildlife.

I'd be feeding your cat inside for a fair while otherwise.

18. winds-of-change

ROFL.............I've had to collect a urine specimen from a female Border Collie I had many years ago. It was an adventure, indeed. She would squat, I'd push the tray under her, she'd look at me like I was crazy and walk away. I'd usually get a small amount, though. Then if I tried again, I'd let her out and follow her. She'd be looking at me over her shoulder every few steps. She was on to me. LOL

19. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

You were luckier than I was. I never got a drop. He would shut down the flow and beat feet before I ever got close. It became a game to him, too. He was having as much fun as the neighbors were.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Best thing you'll be able to do, is not to keep them out while letting him in, but to FEED him where ONLY he can get to the food.

Enclosed back patio was mentioned. This is a good idea.

If you can manage to feed your cat, without feeding the ferals, that would possibly do the trick.

Personally, I'm a fan of doing away with feral cats that become a nuisance.