Stray Bullets

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Jo da Plumbr, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Stray Bullets

I am very safety conscious about firearms so it concerns me if I do something wrong. I was raking leaves in the front yard last week. As I was shoveling them out of the gutter and into the trash can a 9mm cartridge rolls out of the pile. WTF! I pick it up and check and it looks like one of the reloads from my range. It was scared up like it had been getting kicked around and run over in the street or driveway. I had not shot my nine for a couple months so if it was from me it had been out there for awhile. I guess it fell out of my pocket as I was getting out of the car after a range trip.
    I have found rounds before in pockets or in gear bags that were strays and needed to get put back into the ammo cabinet. Once I even found a cartridge in the washing machine after I ran a load of my clothes. But finding that one in the street really made me think about being more careful.

So has anyone else had strays show up in strange places?

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Are you sure it's yours? Back when I lived in AZ i would find casings of all kinds in and around my neighbors yard. I never could figure out why he was so careless, even if they were empties. :confused:

3. orangello

orangello New Member

What he said; i found a half dozen .25 rounds on the porch one morning in Memphis. I didn't own a .25, nor did my roomate.

4. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Once I was drivin' home from the gun store after pickin' up a box of .40, apparently I took a turn to hard or something and it spilled. I collected all the ammo I could find and put it back in there but was still about 10 rounds short. I'm still not sure where they are. I found 6 of 'em when I was cleanin' out my car to put it in storage.

My guess is they're jammed so far down in the back seat cushions with a whole bunch of other **** and that if I ever get in a car accident I might get shot in the back too.

5. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Stuff like that will scare you, especially when you start thinking about the possible consequences, like kids finding the rounds and maybe getting hurt. Nobody's immune to mistakes. The ones that don't kill you make you more careful.

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Not sure it's mine but I don't see any of my nieghbors as shooter's. And to have a similer round as the ones I use dropped right in front of my driveway? I think I have to own this one.

So no one else has pulled thier change out of thier pocket at the store only to have a 45 shell drop to the floor?

No bid deal in Texas I guess... but here in Califreekinfornia. :eek:

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Not one of my neighbors would expect me to be a shooter, either. I'm an older lady, having raised the kids and now living alone. I guarantee you no one in my neighborhood would suspect me of finding this new interest in shooting within the past year. :D

I'm still learning terminology so I don't know if the cartridge you found was an intact one with bullet and powder in it or was it just the empty brass.

8. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Grabed this from Wikki for you.

A modern cartridge consists of the following:
    1. the bullet itself, which serves as the projectile;
    2. the case, which holds all parts together;
    3. the propellant, for example gunpowder or cordite;
    4. the rim, part of the casing used for loading;
    5. the primer, which ignites the propellant.

Attached Files:

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Jo, you obviously have too much ammunition if you're throwing it around like that. It would be best if you send it all to me.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Cali DOJ would probably call that some kind of illegal transfer if he didn't get your fingerprints and DNA first.
    ;)

11. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Definitely not a .45 shell but .17HMR after an afternoon getting foxes? Certainly :eek: It's hard work trying to pick out the change while trying desperately to hide the cartridge!

It's a big deal down here too.

A bit like when I was at the liquor store and my wallet had gotten slightly wet so I couldn't pull my Driver's Licence out of it when the cashier asked for ID.. I pulled out my Gun Licence instead and the bloke looked genuinely scared and later surprised when I payed for my drinks and left instead of holding up the joint!!

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Thank you. That helps a lot.

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I don't think that I have dropped any ammo and not picked it up. However, I have a small drawer of unfired ammo that I have found laying around. Most of it was found at the various ranges. But I have stopped the truck and picked up loaded cartridges from the street several times. The funny thing is I can usually tell what caliber it is before I come to a full stop. I think I reload too much.

14. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I work out of town a lot and always unload my guns and put them in the safe before I leave, somehow while unloading the Sig 226, two .40 cartridges ended up in my laptop case.
    Needless to say I had some explaining to do when it went through the scanner at the airport!
    I've been more careful since :eek:

15. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Now that's the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear. Very funny man.

16. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Wasn't funny at the time, I tought I was gonna get the full body cavity search :eek:
    It's funny now, but has made me more aware of counting my ammo after unloading.
    Let's see did I unload 12 rounds or only 10? Do ya feel lucky punk? :D

17. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

For me it's the plus one. I keep the boys fully loaded at home and when I go to the range I put the full clip separate in the range bag. Here in Cali we have to transport locked and unloaded. Then when I pop the plus one out of the chamber it sometimes ends up in the pocket. As you can see from my post I gotta watch to not do that.

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You might have a problem if......

19. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Can't say that I have, but when I was a teen I came back in from duck hunting and hung a shooting vest up. A couple days later my Mom was quite upset that the dryer was full of #6 shot. She'd washed it with a few cartridges in the pocket.

20. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Safety is key, I agree, but I would think that an empty casing should be pretty harmless. The one way to remedy the mess of casing s flopping around in pockets all over is to keep a hand full of sealable sandwich baggies in your range bag for the brass that you pick up. When you get home, sort it out, and throw it in your choice of container. That's always been a habit of mine right after I get done cleaning the rifles or pistols I shot that day. Helps keep me organized.