Strangest, dumbest, or most useless gun accessories?

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by MisterMcCool, Mar 8, 2013.

1. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

What is the strangest, dumbest, or most useless accessory ever built into or attached onto a gun?
    I'll start with the coffee grinder stock. I guess it served a purpose at the time, just seems strange in current times.

Attached Files:

2. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Wow, I think this would definitely take the cake if it were a modern day weapon lol
    Dang...

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, the complaint was that troops were damaging the butts crushing coffee beans- but there were only about 6 prototypes built. There was a suggestion of 1 to a squad...

4. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I can only think of the anti-aircraft sights on the Arisaka at the moment tho it isn't really an accessory per se, is it? Maybe the cleaning rod in Trapdoor Springfields, and even the rod bayonet version -- they just didn't know what to do with a gun that didn't need a ramrod any more!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  5. trip286

trip286 New Member

I thought of the AA sights in the Arisaka too. Novel idea. But I just can't see anyone taking down even a WWII plane with a bolt action. Maybe a lucky shot to hit the pilot.

6. langenc

langenc New Member

Bayonet stud.

7. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

The pistol bayonet i've seen advertised in SGN.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I expected that one to come up.

Attached Files:

9. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

This has to be the single biggest waste of money on earth. Short of the Zombie end of the world, worthless

Attached Files:

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Shooting at aircraft wasnt done by just one guy. It was done by everyone with a firearm. It was quite effective when done by a lot at one time. We lost a lot of planes to groumd fire.

Cleaning rods are still issued with firearms today. Its not just for ramming a bullet onto black powder

Early ww1 there was a lack of blade makers to keep up with need so the rod bayonet was born. It wasnt ideal but it met the criteria of a pointed object to stick in the enemy when they got in your trenches.

11. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I can see times were a bayonet could come in handy. Some manufacturers do offer them as accessories.

Attached Files:

12. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I'd hate to miss when re-holstering

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

I think I can see a use for a pistol bayonet. I just couldn't imagine a holster that would work, and I wouldn't be taking the time to fix bayonets in a SD situation.

Chainsaw bayonet? I would get that in a heartbeat.

But the chainsaw grip for a shotgun...

14. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Read up on Operation Paul Bunyan, that would have been useful for that mission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axe_murder_incident

But yeah it definitely should be in the running for most useless.

15. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

So the hottest gun on the market is the S&W Shield you say...what about the original Shield-gun. :confused:

Attached Files:

16. shouldazagged

shouldazagged New Member

Maybe .22LR chain shot?

17. AR10

AR10 New Member

7 round mag in a Glock is about as stupid as it gets.

18. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Sorry, but I have to say the Slide Fire stock...I see so many of them for sale second hand.

If I were a rich man, I would buy a few dozen and rent them out at local gun ranges. Let people get their jollies for $50 a pop. And you know I'd get it too...

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's really not a bad idea at all...

20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I'm pretty confident saying that the Arisaka anti-aircraft sight never was the root cause of successfully taking out a plane if they were ever actually used. They're right up there with the dustcovers...

A Trapdoor had to look like what came before or it wasn't a proper gun -- needed a rod of some kind under the barrel and the action had to mimic a caplock. The silly rod bayonet in the (breechloading) Trapdoor replaced the cleaning-rod-only long before WWI (and even The SPanish-American War for that matter) and they never found their way back here. Not into the Krag, the 1903, the Model 1917, Garand, M-14, M-16... I know cleaning rods exist(ed).