Straightening rifle barrel.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Hectocotylus, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

So I got a deal from my neighbor on a savage 99 takedown in 300 savage. The reason for the deal is obvious... ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1408225329.931472.jpg
    Anyways replacement barrels for this old rifle are not available that I could see. I decided to try straighten it out so I first tried using a jack vs the diff of a truck but that only helped a bit. brought it to my brothers work and used a press and it is perfect now! ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1408225437.455442.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1408225457.575787.jpg
    Excited to put it together and give it a whirl

Molon Labe

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

you really need to slug it first. a bend that bad may have left the bore pinched. send a round through it with a constricted bore and you have what is called a pipe bomb not a rifle.

once you have slugged it measure the slug and lok for out of round condition along with anything that looks like its been gouged. if its constructed the slug will be less than the diameter of the bore originally. anything less than .300 and its probably constricted too much to be safe. barrel steel is very similar to glass in how it behaves in that it tends to crack and shatter. evidence of that will be like if something was ripping at the slug as it went down the bore.

personally i wouldnt wantt o be behind that when it goes off. metal stressed that much is going to be weak as hell and will kaboom at some point.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014

3. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Post a range report when you do. I'm curious as to how well the pressing worked out. Got a friend with a bent barrel on his NEF Pardner, (mild bend, but a major PITA when using slugs) that I wall pass this idea on to.

4. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Many gunsmiths can fix you up with a new barrel. I'd cough up the bucks for that before I would trust my life to a barrel that has been bent, then straightened with a hydraulic press.

Slug it though, at a minimum before you take steps that involve actually firing a round through it. If it were me, I'd tie a string to the trigger and be at least fifteen feet away when I test-fired it. Then I'd take a good look at the brass to look for pressure signs.

Over-all, your best bet is to take it to a good gunsmith, tell him the whole story, and then do exactly as he suggests.

5. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Good call. Just pound a soft piece of lead through?

Molon Labe

6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The radius of that bend probably wouldn't lead to any problems. I would
    Use the old string and tree stump method to remotely trigger a few roun
    ds and let it rip. Then again, I am old, and don't have a lot to lose.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z56SNHHL60U[/ame]

7. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

I agree with Salvo....

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

yup like a fishing weight just barely bigger than the bore. grease the bore and the lead well before forcing it down the tube.

use a dowel rod cut in sections about 3-4 inches long to do the pounding. drop from the breach end then out the muzzle. after you do that and it all checks ok clean the grease tie it to a string get behind cover and test a bunch of rounds.

i still wouldnt fire it. bending barrels to shoot around corners like the germans did was a pure desperation move. the initial bend isnt really the bad part its the bending it back. your work hardening the steel which makes it more brittle and less able to stand pressure which is why it may not be safe to fire.

you get the same effect by taking a piece of wire and bending it back and forth in the same spot it eventually snaps each bend stress the metal than the last. its a cumalative thing.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Good Luck !..................

10. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I agree with Jon on this one, you did a fine job on straitening it but the area it bent at is now much more prone to doing very bad things like blowing up, the metal is not the same strength once you stretch it. Even if it Slug tests fine, its not safe, no way. Its just an accident looking for a place to happen, I really think chopping it up for scrap is about the safest thing you could do with it.

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

No way I would ever have anything to do with shooting that thing. Even if it doesn't blow up, is it ever going to be accurate? Doubt it. How on earth does a barrel ever get bent like that in the 1st place?

12. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

The previous owner was hunting and rolled his quad which bent the barrel and broke the stock. Still trying to find a decent priced replacement stock.

Molon Labe

13. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

A few years ago I acquired four free rifles with bent barrels. A friend of a friend had a fight with his wife over too much hunting, had a few beers and wrapped the rifles around a tree. ........temper...temper...

I suspect that after he sobered up, he was too embarrassed to ever look at the guns again.

14. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

See, now thats where gun control should kick in, thats weapon abuse!

15. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Slight bends are one thing and can be corrected. That is not a slight bend and in my opinion as a gunsmith (over 45 years), it is not safe. Find a replacement barrel, they are out there,

Jim......

16. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

That was awesome

I don't want one and don't want to be near one but you find some cool stuff !

17. Salvo

Salvo New Member

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=9416&cat=1227

They make straight-grip and pistol-grip stocks, and two kinds of fore-ends. Prices aren't bad.

If you can't find a barrel on one of the online auction sites or on eBay, you will have to have a gunsmith work over a barrel blank to the correct contour, chambering and threading for your 99.

Then you would have a 99 in the cartridge of your choice with a new barrel.

Or - you could toss the damaged parts and sell the rest on an auction site, take the bucks and put that toward a 99 in good condition.

That's what I would do. There's probably somebody out there with a heavily pitted receiver etc. who would love to have yours.

Or - find a 99 that has a heavily pitted receiver but a good barrel at a low price, that's another tack you could take and end up with an original stock, too. In this case your gun would be all original and thus worth a bit more than one with new replacement parts.

Hang around websites and forums that are dedicated to the Savage 99, and you may find just what you need in short order.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  18. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Ha! I just found that Boyd's sight last night. Thanks for the link. Just need to pay off these baby bills and I can restart the "investing" in guns :)

Molon Labe

19. Jebner8

Jebner8 New Member

You should be able to find a barrel but i definitely wouldn't shoot that.

20. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

DO NOT allow it to be reused by ANYBODY for anything other than a rose/tomatoe stake!