stp for lube

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bradam, Jan 5, 2014.

1. bradam

bradam Member

I met a fellow whom was getting me started with reloading. I was able to pick his brain for two months before he passed away at age 75. He had been reloading since he was 16 and taught his children and grandchildren how to shoot and reload. (sorry off subject) Anyway he had friend (82) whom is a retired gunsmith that years ago told him to use a dab of STP for lube and he used it for years. Has anyone out there had any experience with STP?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Many different lubes CAN be used for resizing lube, but may or may not give acceptable results. After 25 years of dabbling in a variety of lubes, I settled on the best, Imperial Sizing Wax.

3. bradam

bradam Member

thanks for the reply

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

I'm assuming stp is the fuel additive??

Petroleum products should never be used as case lube. Period. It can deactivate or damage primers causing a dangerous hangfire situation. Only neutral lubes should be used like wax or lanolin or in the old days animal fats

The working parts of a loading machine should only be lubed using grease. Grease won't migrate into cases. Never lube dies with grease of any sort. Oil should never be used on dies.

That old gunsmith has been passing on very bad and dangerous information for almost a decade!! Very damn scary.

Follow the procedures found in a modern loading manual. There is no magic there are no work arounds shortcuts or mystical secret recipes that are handed down from the ages. Those things will get you or someone else injured or killed. Handloading is not like baking a batch of great grandpappy's biscuits from the civil war where everyone Has a trade secret.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I think he meant STP oil treatment. That thick, gooey stuff Andy Granatelli used to advertise

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Same thing then. Its a petroleum and shouldn't be used in any ammount for case lube

7. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

RCBS case lube and I have never had a stuck case. On top of that one bottle will last for a long time.

Using something other than a product designed for case lube is beyond me. I bet a can of STP cost as much as a bottle of case lube.

8. bradam

bradam Member

yes the oil additive. I am not sure if there is any petroleum product in the stp but regardless does not seem worth the risk with so many other alternatives. Thanks everyone for the input.

9. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

Agree that Imperial sizing wax works great as a case lube. I've also had similar great results using Hornady Case Lube which comes in a much larger tub and is much cheaper on the pocketbook.

Bayou

10. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

Recently switched to hornady one shot spray from RCBS lube. Nothing wrong with The lube and pad, but I'm not going back!

Align the cases in a pan with the necks pointing up. Spray a quick shot at a 45 degree angle while letting the cases roll around a little. Let dry 1 minute and done. The necks and bodies are lubed quickly and there is no reason to re-tumble unless you like em really shiny.

11. TerryM

TerryM New Member

Never used STP. The only thing I have EVER used is cheap and a can lasts for a very long time. And that is Mink Oil the kind you waterproof your boots with. dual purpose item on your loading bench.;)

12. bradam

bradam Member

have been using mink oil for 40 years on my boots, so on to brass. sounds good