Storing with mag in or out

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mikiep, Dec 24, 2012.

1. mikiep

mikiep New Member

I was cleaning a couple safe queens the other day and I never thought about this before but, if a pistol is stored for say 5 or 6 months should it be stored with a empty mag installed or not or does it really matter either way. The reason I ask is that I have two Ruger SR9C's. I like to keep all mags loaded for the pistol I carry. Thanks

2. Garadex

Garadex New Member

It shouldn't matter. A lot of people do it both ways so it's just whatever your comfortable with.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If I'm only going to store it for a short time, say less than 18 months, I leave a fully loaded magazine in the weapon.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't have a safe queen. Hell, I don't have a safe...
    But, if I were no kidding storing a gun, meaning I had no intention at all of using it for quite some time, I would put it in "shipping" condition.

Liberally coated in a protective coating, mag removed and empty, con 4-whatever that is for your chosen gun. For me, and my 1911, mag removed, chamber empty, hammer down, safety off.

By, "no intention of using it for quite some time", I mean, if I don't intend to carry or take it to the range, for any period that could go on indefinitely. Lets face it, you don't "plan" to store a gun for 6 months, 1 week, and 2 days. You either gonna carry it, or you ain't. Personally, I also don't keep a gun I don't know I'm gonna be using. When I inherit my grandfather's Colt, I'll be singing a different tune though.

5. Juzi9mm

Juzi9mm New Member

i prefer mag out, but at least one loaded close by, in locked safe of course.

6. Juzi9mm

Juzi9mm New Member

*except home defense guns, those stay loaded without one in the chamber

7. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

All handguns are stored with one in the chamber and the fully loaded magazine attached.

All rifles have the magazine attached, bolt/action back, nothing chambered. This has more to do with pulling them out of the safe.

Shotgun status is still TBD

8. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

If it ain't got one in the chamber it ain't loaded.

9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

My handguns are generally in their cases in the gun room with the magazines out and unloaded. I might leave a mag in the gun if I can't find room in the case.

Rifles are in the rack with the bolt closed and unloaded. Shotguns are same condition if in gun room.

Home defense guns are loaded with mags in and one in the chamber. Safety is engaged on both handguns and shotgun. Somebody breaks in my house and they're not going to get a chance to hear an action being worked. Maybe they'll hear the safety being dropped right before the shooting starts.

10. Juzi9mm

Juzi9mm New Member

ALL guns are loaded ALL the time.

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

All guns should be handled as if they are loaded all the time.

Whether you keep a round chambered in your HD/SD gun is up to you.

12. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I hope you store your loaded weapons in a bullet proof fire safe. There have been quite a few firefighters injured or killed over the years by cooked off rounds from careless storage procedures. Loaded with the chamber empty or loaded with the cylinder open keeps cooked off ammo from building up enough velocity to really hurt someone.

Having a loaded firearm behind a locked safe door is not quick to access, so how much time are you really saving by keeping the stored firearm loaded?

13. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

If I am "storing" a firearm I keep mags empty. This is for storage only when I have other weapons accessible for home defense daily carry etc.
    I don't keep stored mags loaded simply to keep the springs fresh. I have seen several mags with weakened spring do to them being left fully loaded for years at a time.

14. Donn

Donn Active Member

Closest I have to safe queens are my large bore revolvers. They're too big for concealed carry, too expensive to shoot on a regular basis, so they stay unloaded in their respective boxes. Magazine fed rifles are stored empty, but mags are loaded and at the ready, same with pistol mags. HD Rem 870 stays loaded, safety on. Carry guns are C1 24/7. Except for the piece I'm carrying, all of the above are secured in my safe.

15. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

its not the constant tension that weakens springs. its the use of them.

as far as loaded vs unloaded. all my friends sit unloaded except my HD tool. i handle my other ones every day almost. so i dont want to be unloading, loading firearms. rather just leave em empty and check.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

All of mine are always loaded.

Treat every gun as if it was loaded doesn't really apply to me. THEY REALLY ARE LOADED!