Storing Ammo in Magazine?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by DevilDogTodd77, Feb 21, 2013.

1. DevilDogTodd77

DevilDogTodd77 New Member

What is the general consensus on storing ammo in your magazines for long periods?

Will it ruin the springs? Does it affect the spring tension if you don't rotate the ammo earlier than 1-2 month cycles?

2. sc00ts

sc00ts New Member

That's a much debated topic here, there are a few threads about it to search through.

3. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I've stored 20 round magazines full for over 30 years an they worked like new when I found and used them. Ones I've used over and over again, I've had to rebuild and replace the springs several times.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. DevilDogTodd77

Sc00ts - thanks I searched b4 asking but couldn't nail down a real answer. If you have a specific thread, I would very much appreciate some info.

5. DevilDogTodd77

Mrm14 - I am liking that answer. I want to be prepared when these obamacommies storm my house!! I don't think they will hold off while I load my mags!! :)

6. 762

762 Member

yeah, much debated topic. the ore you use the mag (ie, loading then unloading a lot), the more the springs wear out. think of it this way. take a paper clip and bend it once. it's still basically as strong as it was, just in a different shape. take another paper clip and wiggle it back and forth, eventually it's gonna break.

7. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I have heard from the American Rifleman magazine that it does indeed ruin the springs which can lead to feeding problems. Just cycle your mags out and buy new ones every so often or test the compressed ones for proper feeding.

8. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Ive personally left mags loaded since 1999 and had no trouble with them. Cycling a spring causes degradation, not compression.

9. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I generally keep 3 or 4 of my PMAGS loaded and ready for a trip to the range. I clean everything up after a using it, and reload it when I get home in preparation for the next trip.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Leaving a spring NORMALLY compressed does not wear it out- flexing it, or taking it beyond its limits will. This was verified with at least one weapon that a mag had been left loaded for a bit over 50 yrs. Worked fine.

11. sc00ts

sc00ts New Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  12. mdauben

mdauben New Member

From what I have read, it's not long term compression that wears out springs, it's the compression/expansion cycling that does. So, once I load a mag it stays loaded until I shoot the ammo off at the range.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Load'em & leave'em ;)

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I leave them loaded.

The steel used in springs before WW2 may suffer. Spring steels developed after WW2 will not be harmed.

15. Yelsew

Yelsew New Member

Okay, i know that leaving a spring in compression does not ruin it, but does anyone think its a good idea to keep magazines with one or two less rounds than its capacity? Like keeping an ar mag with 28 in it and a 1911 with 6 instead of 7?

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Whats the point?
    All you'll gain is less ammo in your mags :confused:

17. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I can't think of one magazine I own that's not loaded.

Unloaded gun = club

Unloaded mag = less effective club

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

devildog,

I liked mrm14s comments. Even though we usually teach to have the AR-15 Mags that hold 30 to have 28 rounds and the 20 rounders with 18 if stored for long periods. I must admit I like m14 have had 45 ACP and AR Mags loaded for years and years and never had one fail me when I placed it in the good old 1911 or the AR-15! I think one needs to consider the actual quality of the magazine. And certainly the material they are using primarily thinking of the spring material. With all the cost cutting some companies are doing today some may be using lesser quality parts than maybe those in the past.
    I know some of the lesser quality magazines of today if left completely loaded to capacity for a period of time I have even seen the welds give way on the magazine box. Cheaper plastic composition mags that the lips distort or some warping occurred. By the way MagPul makes some of the best polymer mags with no problems. NHMTG makes some of the best metal mags available which are actually used by several manufacturers who then place their own End Plate with logo on the NHMTG Mags. I too have had mags loaded for the best part of 20+ years that worked just fine!

19. DevilDogTodd77

JStrong -

Great Analogy!! I LOL'd all over myself while reading. :) :) :)

After all the advice, I am gonna run home and load all my mags to capacity and the start hoarding 1000's of extra ammunition too.

Thanks everyone!!

20. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

unless your gun has a performance problem w/ the full magazine, why not keep it fully loaded? that's what they were made for. As was mentioned, using them over and over is what will wear them out.