Stories Of Your First Successful Hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by kusterleXD, Nov 27, 2012.

1. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

I'm interested to hear stories about everyone's first successful hunt. Although I started hunting back in 2006, there was about a 4 year hiatus beginning in 2008 where I didn't have an opportunity to hunt. This year, I was able to get into the woods on the second from last day of the modern firearm portion of deer season with a buddy from my Sunday School class at church. Here is the story of my first successful hunt:

We got into the stand a little later than planned Saturday just as the sun was shining its first rays of light on the land. We were in a 2-person ladder stand leaning against a tree and watching a field through a small wooded area that had a lot of deer signs. About 45 minutes into the hunt, with a couple grunt calls and doe bleats scattered in, two does were curious and stepped out of cover. From where I sat in the stand, I couldn't see them but my buddy was able to. A few minutes later they moved to where we both could see them. We watched them a little while longer and eventually one of the two does moved into our shooting lanes. Both of us had very narrow shooting lanes due to having to shoot through the wooded area before the field opened up. From where the does were, I had a somewhat better shooting lane than my buddy so I took the 1st shot. My bullet was deflected by a small branch and missed. The doe moved a little to where my buddy had a good shot on the same doe but he jerked the trigger and missed her completely as well. We were both very surprised to find that both does were still in the field not sure of what was going on. The doe we both shot at and missed moved to where there was a tree that blocked any shot on her but the second doe moved into my shooting lane. I lined up the cross hairs of my scope onto her vitals, checked to make sure there were no small branches in my shooting lane, and estimated her to be at about 100 yards. I practiced breath control, steadied my aim, and gently squeezed the trigger of my Marlin X7 chambered in .308 Winchester. The 180 gr hand loaded Hornady SST bullet projected by 40.0 grains of IMR 4064 powder traveled at just under 2400 fps and entered into her left shoulder. I didn't see it because of the recoil but my buddy said the shot immediately dropped the doe where she stood. We then both saw the first doe flashing her white tail while running to the cover from whence they came, finally aware of the danger. The mortally wounded doe only lived long enough to try to to lift her head twice then didn't move any more after that. We carefully climbed out of the stand to go check on the kill, make sure we hadn't wounded the first doe, and keep the coyotes away from the carcass. The absence of a blood trail and the fact the first doe hadn't run until the third and successful shot dropped the second doe, I am confident the first doe was not wounded in any way. We then checked the slain doe and verified the shot was an ethical kill that had punctured her lung and severed her spinal cord. It was my first harvest of an animal and I thanked God and the animal for the meat provided to us.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Ain't never hung a man, but the day ain't over... ;)

Does it have to be deer? I've only ever killed a deer with a truck. My ex got three in one week with my Cadillac though... Do those count? I swear she was trying...

The first time I ever killed a critter, I was 9. It was a dove hunting trip as an early birthday present, opening day of the season, and my birthday was 2 days later (I usually call it a dove "shoot", as I don't even bother with camo or boots).
    I carried my red ryder BB gun, and after my dad's buddy saw me clip one on the fly, he handed me his Remmy 870 12 gauge, and said "here, you'll have better luck with this". Luckily, I've always been a big kid. But still, the first bird to fly over while I was using the shotgun, came in from my 12 o'clock, flying straight overhead. I drew a bead, and passed through, giving it a lead. Right when my dad's buddy saw what was about to happen, he yelled "DON'T SHOOT!!" right about the time I pulled the trigger, with the barrel pointing almost straight up.

That gun leveled me. Knocked me flat on my back. I got the bird. But, as I was laying there, flat out, spread eagled, with the shotgun laying on my chest, looking up at my dad and his friend looking down at me, I said "I want one of these", and patted the gun.

I took 5 more that day. 3 of those were one shot, 2 were a miss and I had to pump another round in the chamber and take them on the second shot. I had more in my bag than the two grown men put together (it was a slow field).

I unwrapped a Mossberg 500 12 gauge that Christmas. And I think that's why I have shoulder problems now, from going too big, too young. I saved every penny I could to buy shells, and hit every dove field I could every chance I got, during every season, until I joined the Marines. It made for interesting conversations when a 10 year old boy goes into the bait shop and buys 2 boxes of 6-8 shot, depending on what they have in stock, and never using less than full choke. That was ten years ago that I joined the Marines, and I haven't hit a dove field since. I sold the Mossy a few years ago when the ex put us in a bind and I had to get groceries and gas.

3. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

I messed up on the title. I've asked a buddy who is a moderator to correct it. It doesn't need to be a deer, just your first successful hunt.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Glad to see your hunt was a success!

Isn't reloading twice as rewarding when you see it's benefits not only at the range but in the field as well?

5. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

It sure is! I'm hooked on using hand loads for hunting.

Great story, trip! Looking forward to hearing more great hunting stories!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  6. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

Come on, someone's gotta have a good story or two to tell of their first hunt?!? Maybe it was with your dad, maybe it was striking out on your own. I'd like to hear them.

7. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Mine was no big deal. I was 12 and had gotten my hunter safety permit months prior. I grew up in south dakota so pheasant hunting is huge there.

It makes sense that a pheasant would my my first successful game animal. My father took me to a family friends property. I was carrying my fathers Winchester 1200 12 guage my grandfather gave him in the 70's,(which at the time felt heavy as a .50 cal barrett feels to me now.)

I sucked up the weight and after a bit of walking i came across my first rooster! Missed the first one though and my dad hit him after I couldnt take him down. I think i was just too excited!

After another 5 or 10 min walk another rooster jumped up from the brush. It was my time now! I raised that old 1200 to my shoulder and i took my shot, I had never felt so alive in my short 12 year old life. And as the gun fired i yelled in joy as that rooster fell like an astroid. We breaded and fried up that pheasant that night along with others and so started my hunting adventures! Till the day i die ill never forget that day.

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

My first successful hunt-that I count-i was 10 and my grandpa gave me half a box of 22 shells and his nylon 66. He told me go have fun and come back w a couple squirrels if I could manage to hit em. I came back bout 2 hours later, no blammo, dog tired but excited none the less. My grandpa asked me if I got any squirrels. I said yep need a sack. He told me to just put em on a stick and bring em in. I then replied already done that, can't carry em all. He laughed amd said alright where'd you leave em. I told him where and we went and got em in the truck. I think my grandpa dang near had a heartache over those 12 squirrels.

9. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

Great stories! Let's keep them coming!

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

First kill? With a pellet rifle? Archery? Firearms? People need to give more details when they ask a question.

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

He's askin for your first successful hunt a person had/counts that is w anything

12. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Im gana use my first deer harvest.

I found me a spot under a big bull pine, limbs touching the ground. little doe walked around the edge of a limb I never saw it untill it sniffed my foot!! Think i was more scared then the deer!!It jumped about 10 feet from me it was on then. My best friend still talkes about this i shoot the thing 3x's lol Every time I kill one now he always has to ask how many times did you shoot this one.

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

well, i'll do both. my first kill was at age 12. i had passed my hunters safety course that saturday morning with my mom. my uncle took us to a gun shop and we got our licenses. my uncle also purchased a new england 410 shotty for me to use.. but it was his. lol. we got home and it was starting to sprinkle. my uncle said it was up to me if i wanted to go out that afternoon. ofcourse i wanted to.. got ready and stepped out the door into a downpour.. i still wanted to go so him and i walked into the woods. we haf gone maybe 100yds. and he stopped so i stopped. we must of stood a good 5 to 10 minutes.. time is hard for a 12yr old to guess. all of a sudden he turned and said there, on that branch to your left. maybe 15yards away. i turned and saw a big ole poofy grey squirrel sitting, eating a nut. i slowly raised the 410 with just a bead on the end, took aim and bang. i watched as he fell and twitched a little. we kept going all afternoon but saw no otheres there were close enough for the 410. saw afew i would of had now. but at that time.. no way. got back to the hosue soaked to the bone, but grinning like a crazy fool who just won the lottery!

first deer. fast forward 5 years. age 17. had been bowhunting for 3 years, gun hunting 1 with no luck. opening day came and our group took our places in the woods. none of us saw anything all morning. went in for lunch and went backk out for the afternoon. my spot was great. i was sitting at the base of the tree that held my treestand for bowseason. i had seen deer almost everyday from here but often times where a lot farther than i could shoot with my bow. it sat an the edge of thick pine woods, and hardwoods. about half way up a long sloping hill. there were three trails that crossed directly infront of my tree. and several others that crossed about 50 yards downhill. so im sitting there starts getting close to that magic time of dusk. i saw 4 does about 50-60 yards to my left.. perfect i thought. i brought up my rifle, and searched but had no shots. the doe's were behind to much think brush. as i watched them for a few minutes i heard something to my right. so i figured i would look. yup.. no more than 10 yards off my right shoulder stood a button buck. sniffing the air. well he kept walking on the trail right in front of me as i slowly tried to turn back to the right. i was about half way when he decided i was no good and took 3 big jumps in the direction i was just aiming.. ugh.. he stopped about 30 yards away broadside so in one quick motion i put the crosshairs on behind his shoulder and pulled the trigger.. after dark and severalattempt to follow the blood trail( which was very weak) even my uncle wasnt sure i hit him good.. but i kept saying i know it was a goos shot!. so on our fourth pass. we finally found some blood we had missed. a few steps later we found the deer. he hadny gone more than 50 yards. the problem was he zig zagged, and doubled back while not leaving lots of blood. so in the darkness of the woods i got my first congrats.... the next morning my sister shot a doe, and that afternoon i shot a spike buck from the same stand.. but thats another long story.

was able to find the pics!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      21.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      16 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  14. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I was 8 or 9. Shot a squirrel with a Sears Roebuck single shot bolt-action, iron sights, loaded with .22 BB short. Felt kinda bad. Buried him with full military honors at my campsite. Then I got over it and for the next few years I barked em, skinned em ate em and otherwise.

15. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I can't remember back that far. It's been over 40 years since I took my first kill.

16. tuck2

tuck2 New Member

I got a Winchester Mdl 70 270 in late fall 1952 but dident get deer hunting untill 1953. I went with my brother in law who was 16 yeard older than I. For some years he had hunted the area west of Cheyenne Wyo . We walked in the hilly pasture land during the morning but dident see any mule deer. After lunch we walked for about an hour when a deer come over a hill about 150 yards away. I took one shot which hit high in the lung area. The deer droped like a rock when hit with the 130 grain bullet. Over the years I shot more deer in Wyo, North Dakota, and Nebr. This fall was the first year I did not get a hunting licenes , my old body is worn out, but its fun to recall my first deer. Over the years I have tryed out various brand rifle with different cartridges but I still have my old Win Mdl 270 rifle.

17. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

Thanks for the great stories.JJ & Tuck! Hopefully they will inspire others to take up the sport of hunting.

18. Win73

Win73 New Member

I don't remember my first successful hunt. I grew up on a farm in SE Missouri. I was born in 1946. I grew up hunting small game from an early age. I killed a lot of squirrels, rabbits, quail, ground hogs, and miscellaneous other game. Didn't deer hunt til I was out of college. Weren't many deer around back then.

My first successful deer hunt was six years ago. I was hunting on a friends property. He and I set up in his portable two man blind. The way we were set up, the closest shot we would get would be at least 200 yards. All I had at the time was an SKS in 7.62x39. So he let me use his Savage 7 mm magnum. A spike buck walked out and began eating corn left on the ground during harvesting. My friend checked the distance with his range finder. It was 240 yards. I drew a bead on the deer and pulled the trigger. CLICK Oh no, I thought, the deer is going to get away. But he continued feeding on the corn. I opened the bolt and saw that a round had not gone in the chamber when I closed the bolt. I closed the bolt again, this time making sure a round chambered. I drew another bead on the deer. BOOM I missed! I thought the deer would run off for sure this time. But the deer didn't move, he still stood there eating corn. At this point my friend hands me his other 7 mm magnum, a Remington Sendero, and says, "Here, take this one, I know where it hits." I draw a bead on the deer for a third time. BOOM This time the deer did move. Straight down! He was DRT (dead right there).

Later when we examined the Savage rifle, we noticed that one of the crosshairs in the scope was broken. You could actually see a gap in the crosshair.

19. remington85

remington85 New Member

It was about three or four years ago. My dad and i had gone out to his friends lease for a couple years but had not had any luck. This little nub buck walked out. It was my very first seeing a deer that was potentially a shooter. I had to go pee really bad so i slowly snuck outside the stand and relieved myself. The buck was still there when i got back. My dad put his rifle up chambered in .270 winchester. He slowly squezzed like the ex SWAT sniper he is. The buck leaned just as he shot. The bullet broke the bucks right front leg. He moved a couple feet and then dropped. He was about 50 yards away. We went up to him and thanked God for the animal. We brought him home and skinned him to find out the bullet had completely taken the top of the heart off. The dear had the best meat i had ever tasted.

20. BlackRifle

BlackRifle New Member

Good stories so far, and congrats everyone on their successful hunts. It's the first one that gets ya hooked.

Here's my story.
    1994 southern Missouri

I was nine years old, went with my brother 13 and father 40. After a unsuccessful opening morning @ 9 am my dad and brother walked through a patch of thicket towards my stand. ( My dad believed I was old enough to navigate the woods and hunt alone at this age!) I scanned the area to see blaze orange 200 or more yards away. It was my brother and dad, as I watched them closely I noticed them duck down and take cover. I was confused to say the least, until I took out my binoculars and saw them pointing. Aha I see a small fawn thirty yards away. They saw it before me! I calmly raised my .243 savage bolt action. I began to shake and think about how it was just a fawn, but I gathered myself and fired striking the boiler room. She dropped didn't notice another movement from her. My heart pumped with excitement, but was also sad for the deer. I even shed a couple tears for it before my brother and dad got to the stand to see. I thought they would laugh and joke, but no to my amazement they were very proud of me. And as famliy tradition, I wore the blood of my first kill on my face for 24 hrs.

I still hunt with that same gun today. I still find it hard to shoot does today, something about it.

I took a 9 pt with the same rifle this year, same scope and sling even.