Storeing my handgun

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by dempsey77, Mar 13, 2012.

1. dempsey77

dempsey77 New Member

Is it o.k. To store the handgun in its hard carrying case?
    Or should it be stored in my safe ,out of the case?

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

As long an you put it away in its case dry and clean you should have no problems. I like to at least wipe them down with an oily rag or silicon wipe first to keep finger marks from imbedding on the finish. For security, or course, the safe is mo' bettah.

3. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I never store my well-hidden firearms, except, of course, when I am travelling by air, or parking vehicle at employee's guarded airport lot where then my carry is stored in vault beneath car seat.

4. dempsey77

dempsey77 New Member

Thanks
    Yes I defiantly put it away clean and dry. I break it down and clean it b4 putting it away, and yes also wipe them down with a little oil on rag
    Thanks again for the info

5. Drriley

Drriley New Member

never store any firearm in a carrying case as the foam or
    felt liner (in a soft case) holds moisture and can rust even a well
    oiled gun if left long enough.

Because the case is in direct contact with the gun, the rusting will be severe
    enough to cause pitting. And it will take less time than you think.
    I have seen some rusted in just a couple of months.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

+1 on never storing in a hard case.

I have a few of the plastic containers with lids (bought them at the Dollar store). I have packets of dessicant that I include in each container with a firearm.

In Florida at this time of year it is too cool to use A/C, so moisture is fairly high in the storage area.

7. KY1911

KY1911 New Member

Makes sense, explains why they are in a plastic bag inside the case when you buy them!

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

most cases are designed for transportation of firearms, not storage. anything with wool or foam can hold moisture and promote corrosion, even in an environment that we think as of being dry. for longer term storage inside a safe, you might check out the silicone inpreginated gun socks for protection or a rack and a dehumidifier or a can of dessicant to trap any moisture. any of these can be gotten at a good supplier like MidwayUSA, MidSouth Shooters Supply or Brownell's. and many others.

9. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

I love this forum. Didn't even think about foam holding moisture. I live in a high humidity area and have to check my stored guns frequently. When I was younger I had a black powder rifle I build almost ruined because I stored it in a basement in a gun sock. And basically pitted the barrel.

Time to inform people I know out here.

10. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I put a couple bags of instant rice in my safe every month to keep moisture out. It works good in tool boxes too if needed. I store my guns in a rubber coated vertical rack while in the safe. Even then I wipe them down at least every week.

11. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

Do you keep the bags open?

I keep silicone wipes every where I have guns. And wipe them down once a week or every time I handle them. One in the car, the closet (no safe yet), the cleaning bag, night stand, and shooting bag.

12. levelcross

levelcross New Member

No, I use the kind that you boil in the bag, it already has holes in the bag. A wise old man in a machine shop told me about it. I have been doing it for about...well we will just say for many years LOL.

I also keep wipe down rags everywhere I keep one of my guns. I feel rust is just neglect and the way the court system is today I would hate to be charged with gun neglect.:rolleyes: