stopping the evil

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by JonM, Sep 3, 2013.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

North carolina becomes third state to get it right!! more states need to follow this. i would posit that the police be forced to make these firearms available to the poor and indigent for self protection at a greatly reduced priced for those able to pass a back ground check like any other gun sale.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Gotta Love nc. Can't wait to move there.

3. 1911love

1911love New Member

Good! People shouldn't need permission to buy a handgun. The campus thing is big too. Just bc you are trying to better yourself shouldn't mean the days you have class you have to be unarmed or waste time and gas to drive home and retrieve your sidearm after you leave campus.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I had a huge issue with their "permit to buy" laws. I refused to purchase a handgun while living there just because of that.

Luckily, I was considered a Mississippi resident, so I could just go home and buy one.

Glad they did away with that bull ****.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Maybe I misread it, but I think the permit thing still stands. I'm not a big fan of being limited to 5 purchases in a year either. But I guess if you don't use the permit you can still get 5 more the next year. If you only buy 1 gun a year (Yeah right) you could stockpile a good amount of the permits and then go on a shopping spree.

6. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

It's a start!:D

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That is good news. I sometimes see the pile of guns the police departments have from a buy back program and it makes me sick to think they will be destroyed.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Ah, no, I misread it. It says the bill DROPPED the controversial provision that WOULD do away with requiring it.

I thought it said it dropped the controversial provision that requires it.

My bad. This is an infringement, and I don't understand how rights loving Americans can tolerate having to go ask "pretty please can I buy a hand gun?" I didn't tolerate it. Being a Mississippi resident, but permanently stationed in NC, I could get one in either state.

9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

5 a year would put a serious crimp in my gun trading and buying. I've done 5 in a month before. I thought Illinois FOID was bad enou but I don't have to ask permission to buy however many guns I wanted. My personal record is 3 in one day and ever since then I've gotten a delay from the NICS system.

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

There is almost always a trade off of some kind. In ma I can (so far) buy as many guns as I want but since working in the shop I get delayed every time and I am seriously limited in what I am allowed to purchase.
    In nc I will only be able to buy 5 a year (you just go to the station and pay $25 for your 5 permits) but I have alot more options for what I can purchase and there will be no delay.
    Even in NH where things are pretty lax at this point you have to buy a gun to get a box of 9mm.
    I see it as a step forward for NC when Most places are standing still or taking a step back. Eventually the permit thing will get replaced with a better system or the limit will be dropped. I can't wait to move.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Or you could come to Louisiana, and buy anything but NFA items whenever the hell you damn well please, and pick up a carton of milk and a dozen eggs while you're at it.

Just sayin. We're short on good smiths too.

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Perhaps I'll visit. Lol

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Visit, find a spot on the bayou, kick your feet up and stay a while.

Oh, donate your heavy winter coats to goodwill BEFORE you come. Our goodwill still has some on the rack from so far back in the day, they're called "vintage" these days.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Can't say I'll miss the heavy coats. Hell the last time I camped out it was 17 degrees out. After the few hours I slept (with a rock for a pillow) I woke up and all my gear (including my wool blanket) was frozen to the ground.
    Not fun.

15. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Once you have your CC Card in NC you do not need the permits to buy a gun. The permits are just to make sure some sort of background check is done on all people that buy a handgun. Just get your CC and you can do as you please pretty much.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Background check? What about the Fed's NICS? Null and void in north Carolina for some reason? Then why do we have it?

17. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm still learning how things work down there. Isn't getting your cc a nightmare down there?

18. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Nope. One easy 8 hour class. Pretty simple shooting certification test from 3, 5 and 7 yards including 2 shots from weak hand. Simple multiple choice written test. Then off to local Sheriff's Dept with certificate and $80. Some basic paperwork and finger prints and you're done. In Wake County they are backed up right now, but the CC cards come in about 60 days.

19. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Nothing I haven't done repeatedly. Only problem might be the weak hand shooting due to nerve damage.
    With all my certs I may be able to get a Mulligan on that bit.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, when I was stationed there 02-06, I was told 6-8 months. But I don't think they did the class and range back then. May be mistaken, when I was told the time frame, I just turned my ears off and started thinking about who I could go to in Mississippi.