STOPPING POWER of a .380 .....

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by LONGHAIR, Jun 21, 2011.

1. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I GOOGLED ...Stopping Power of a .380 ...WOW...They have pages of people with allot of idea's about witch one is better..and I think placement is the most important...A .22 can kill as well as a .45 .....If placed right ??...

2. orangello

orangello New Member

.380ACP

I'm not sure "stopping power" should really apply to anything south of buckshot.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

only round i know of that has anything resembling "stopping power" is the 50bmg or maybe a 155 howitzer. stopping power is a 80's gunrag bs myth cranked out by such idiotic rags like guns and ammo to sell 9mm doublestack handguns.

its just one of those things that has become entrenched in gun lore with no basis in reality.

the best defensive handgun is the one you know inside and out, one you also can land shot after shot centermass, and goes boom each time the trigger is pulled. caliber is the last thing thats important. if you can satisfy all that with a 454 casull great if the biggest round you handle in such a fashion is a 380 thats good too. rounds on center mass quickly and accurately are all that matters.

4. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I have to agree with Jon here.

Also, ask yourself this....

How would you like to be shot six, possibly seven times with .380? I sure as hell wouldn't want to be shot even once with a .22, let alone .380. I think that people that believe .380 is inferior and can't "stop" anything are delusional.

5. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Recently there was a police officer here killed in a domestic violence call. He
    was shot once with a .380. I think Jon is spot on. I was shot once in the
    left foot in 1968 and damn well guarantee you that it stopped me.

6. synical

synical New Member

Yeah I just bought a Taurus TCP .380 for a pocket pistol. I know I dont want to be shot with it! So I agree it will stop them!

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

380acp can be a very carry friendly and adequate defense round. But the following two shortcomings can work in concert to make it less than ideal:

1) It's a pretty weak caliber, so simply aiming "center mass" might not always cut it.

2) No matter how accurate the pistol may be, many 380s come in packages that make for difficult shooter precision.

So it's a round you'll want to be precise with, in a package often makes doing so challenging. This is why I chose a micro 9mm for now.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Obviously there are a lot better calibers to carry than the 380. But with it being easy to conceal and also smaller in size, you are probably more likely to have it on you all the time even when wearing light summer clothing and at other times. My wife has a Browning BDA 380 that she carries. In addition the recoil of the 380 is very light. But carry good defense ammunition! I have instructed her if she ever has to use it for self defense. Do not stop at firing one round only!
    I advised her never to shoot less than two rounds at a time and preferably three. And then asses the situation. And react accordingly. I think the real key as mentioned is placement and it all goes back to you will react (do) as you have trained. This is not a situation where you have time to think through before you react. SO placement and firing 2 or better 3 is the key! I would recommend that with any pistol caliber. In my opinion is if you and I have to use it we only plan on one testimony "Ours!"

9. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I'll go that one further, with a 9mm, or smaller, always triple-tap and repeat until the bad guy stops moving.

I've seen a 350-pound druggie take 19 rounds of 9mm, including three shots to the head...
    yet he was only dropped by two shotgun slugs while charging the officers poking him with 9mm rounds.

Sometimes its the round, sometimes its the target...its why I use a 10mm for concealed carry...
    but to do so, I often have to plan out my wardrobe quite carefully, and use alternative carry methods (diaper bag-I've got twin boys).
    (why do your babies have earmuffs on?? Just in case I need to shoot a bad guy ;) )

10. esteban_cuy

esteban_cuy New Member

no matter what the size of the bullet, they all leaves holes where they shouldn't be.

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Stopping power is an overused, over-debated term. The key to any defensive encounter is breaking the BGs will to fight either by reducing his BP to zero or getting him to reconsider you as prey. A series of well placed shots, in any caliber, will usually do the trick. Larger calibers obviously do it quicker but are not always practical to carry. Given a choice I would carry something larger than a .380 but if it's what you have go with it...practice your Mozambique technique and use a good, hot SD load.

12. pendi35

pendi35 New Member

We are also forgetting a key component to even carrying a firearm. One of the reasons people carry firearms is to feel safe. If you pull out a gun on a bad guy do you think he's going to charge you? I think the gun's visual presence is one of the number one deterrents. If you do have to use it then carry good self defense ammo. Knowing how to use your gun, how to clear a jam is also very important. If someone carries a gun and looks like they don't know how to use it, well, the bad guy may still think they have a chance to get you and a gun as well.
    Being confident in handling the gun is also important. If a person is more comfortable with a .22 or .380 then that's what they should carry. Besides, ladies don't want to have to arrange their wardrobe around a gun.
    Like others have said, it's not necessarily the size of the bullet but where they are placed. Also, think of your situation, what are you most likely going to encounter? A lady carrying a gun in her purse to get to and from her car at night doesn't need a cannon.
    My Mom used to date a guy years ago and he told me something that happened to him years ago: He was pumping gas during the daytime when he saw 3 guys walking towards him that didn't look as though wanted to become friends because one of them had a crowbar, he reached into his truck and pulled out a revolver (don't know what kind, some type of snubnose), he then held it on the side of his hip where the guys coming towards him could see it. They stopped dead in their tracks and left the gas station.
    That brings me to my next point. Situational awareness. Knowing where you are and who's around you is another important factor. Who says you can't turn around and look at someone walking behind you. As your walking turn around and look at them. Do you get that feeling in your gut that something isn't right? Well, if you do put your hand where your gun is and continue to walk. Be ready to pull your gun out. When the bad guy knows you are aware of their presence and you do not become scared they are less likely to mess with you (of course not every time, that's why you put your hand on your gun or cross the street and/or pick up your walking pace).
    I know i've rambled on so i'll end here. Thanks for reading and I welcome any comments.

13. synical

synical New Member

I dont think it matters what size you carry! Me.... I have a .40 cal I keep in the car but I also ride a motorcycle and with motorcycle gear there is not much room for guns. So that's why I carry a .380 i can pretty much put it anywhere cause of the size. No its not gonna kick butt like my .40 or 9mm but I know I have something. And I know that I am a good shot and with it I am better protected than without it. You can kill a man with a .22 so carry what you like. If it makes you feel that your not helpless, ROCK OUT WITH IT! So everyone can go on and on about this cal or that, but just keep in mind the average person if they see a gun or even get shot once they are not coming in for more, most of the time! I know there are exceptions! :D

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The ONLY stopping power ANY round has is shot placement.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Signs of "stopping power"

16. Werminator

Werminator Member

With the wealth of small 9mm weapons being released to the market, I would lean that direction over the .380. First and foremost, ammo for .380s just seems to have limited options and not really any cost benefits over some more potent offerings. The other reason is that I feel a .380 round just won't make quite the impression on it's recipient that a 9mm or .40cal will. That said, I still can't find a 9 in as small a form factor as say a Keltec P3AT or Ruger LCP and there is a lot to be said for compact size and its role in your everyday carry role...

17. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

@Cane: So true.

@Gello: Your friends in the white coats have been notified of your absence. They will be with you momentarily.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Have you looked at the LC9? It is larger than the LCP but still a small form factor.

Attached Files:

19. orangello

orangello New Member

There's also the Kahr pm9, but it ain't cheap.

20. Werminator

Werminator Member

KelTec also offers a couple smaller 9mm sidearms. Check out the KelTec PF9 for a relatively affordable weapon that incorporates the 9mm caliber giving its user multiple options for affordable ammo... Nice little gun...