Stolen revolver, I think

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mesinge2, May 5, 2011.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

UPDATE Stolen revolver, I think

Ok, I don't know what to do here. Many of you will remember the post below:

Anyways, I found a IWI Jericho in .40 S&W. It was my sister's favorite gun before our economy and her husband's idiocy lead to her selling all of her guns. Well, I was so excited that I bought it and drove right to her house. I asked to see my S&W m67-1 that I lent her. I was going to pretend that I was upset about the condition it was kept in and I was taking it back. And then only to reveal the Jericho.

Well, when I asked to see it she started crying. She said that her husband sold it a few weeks after I gave it to them. Now, I made sure to tell them that I was loaning them the weapon. I knew her husband's character so I specifically told him "I am loaning you this weapon it is not a gift, if I hear that you pawn it or anything I'll have you arrested."

My sister was begging me not to call the police. I don't know what to do.
    He was at work and I just left....

What should I do?

What would you do?

I am just ... ugh ... there's not even a word...

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. jca1

jca1 New Member

I would......I would......crap I don't know what I would do. This really sucks.

3. towboater

towboater Active Member

Id just let it go.

4. m72law

m72law New Member

i wouldnt be ''loaning'' either one any of my firearms....times get hard you got to do what you got to do....she sold her guns to keep her house,you gave her a gun to protect her house & whats in it...then husband sells your gun:mad: like the old saying goes...do it to me once,shame on you,:eek:do it to me twice,shame on me:eek:...if it was me i would take the firearm back just so incase it doesnt come up missing... & get her a big can of bear mace

but thats just me:)

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Report the gun stolen. Get your sister out of that situation.

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I'd beat him, then get a bat and do it again. He's a POS. Then call the cops.

7. m72law

m72law New Member

that is good advice what dunerunner said....

unless he sold the firearm to a legit FFL dealer....you might have the PoePOE knocking on your door @ 3am in the morning,wanting to know why the firearm thats in your name showed up at a murder sene:eek:...just saying

8. General_lee

General_lee New Member

9. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I didn't give her the Jericho, I never even got to bring it up :(.

He did sell it to a gun shop, I asked that. So, there is no chance that it will show up at a crime scene and then come back to haunt me. If I report it to the cops will my sister get in trouble?

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  10. Car54

Car54 New Member

mesinge2, unless your sister backs your assertion that the gun was loaned to her and her husband took it from her custody by theft, I think you're stuck. You may be able to go to the police and tell them the gun is missing from wherever you choose a location, but what happens if the gun turns up in a pawn shop and they have a record of your sister or B.I.L pawning it? Now you are in the middle.

If it was sold to a private party, here in Fla, sales are not recorded nor are guns registered in a private party sale. The buyer has every reason to believe the B.I.L was the owner and bought the gun.

mesinge2, IMO, you're action is a civil suit against your B.I.L. whether you want to pursue it would be up to you.

I know it's legal in Michigan to loan a gun to another person who holds a valid CPL, I'm not sure of that here in Fla. I'm heading out of town again but I'll check through some of the statute books I have when I get back. If it isn't legal, I'd be quiet and chalk it up to "shame on you".

11. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

First, you calmly tell that POS that he has 3 days to get your gun back.

Second, you tell him that if he does not have your gun back to you in 3 days that you will notify the police that you had loaned your gun to your sister and he stole it.

Third, tell your sister she needs to dump the POS and what is more important ... her family or a POS that can't or won't take care of his family and steals from those that try to help.

Fourth, don't waiver and follow through on your ultimatum.

He made his bed let him lay in it and if your sister won't see reason then you need to tell her she is on her own and your not going to help her if she woun't help herself.

Just my opinion mind you.....

Scubie

12. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Your BIL may or may not be out of the picture someday. Your sister will always by your sister, and if that relationship is important to you, let it go.

I had a BIL loan a bunch of my tools to friends and never get them back or replace them. I did nothing except removed his access to my tools. Years later my sister is still my best friend, and he hasn't been in the picture for years.

If I had pressed charges or something against him, I'm sure it would have caused such a rift between my sister and I that we would still not be speaking.

If you have the serial number recorded somewhere, I would right up a bill of sale (not a receipt) and tell your BIL he either signs it so you have proof he took possession, or you're reporting he stole it.

Obviously helping them out with another loan either financial or firearms is out of the question until he pays you back, or she leaves him.

Just my 2¢

13. WDB

WDB New Member

That sucks but I don't believe you can report the pistol stolen with out filing a false report. You gave the pistol to them, the term were verbal. They can claim it was a gift, you can claim it was loaned. In the end the fact is you gave them the firearm and the terms weren't documented. Write off the loss and don't give your sister anything until she dumps the loser.

Please tell us you didn't leave the new purchase with your sister!

14. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

That is a very rough position to be in. Sorry I can not help you with any advice.

15. General_lee

General_lee New Member

That's a good question. I'm not a lawyer, so I can't give you a definite answer.
    Seems to me that it would be good for your sister to be with you when you go to report it so she can explain to the LEO's what happened.
    That is, IF you can get her to do that.

If you specifically loaned it to HER and her husband took it without your permission or your sisters permission, and you explain that when you report it, I wouldn't think she would get in trouble. But don't take my word for it, I would try to talk to a legal professional and get their advice.

If you don't think you can report it without in some way falsifying the report, then don't do it, accept the loss and the lesson learned.

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

This, combined with others' advice about letting it go seems to fit the bill. I'm not sure I'd threaten him to get him to sign. The poor we will forever have with us and he is poor because of his actions and behaviors. You'll never fix him.

If you love your sister, you should probably stay out of her love life and let this go.

But having a bill of sale would be a good way for everyone to have at least a little closure.

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Junk Stomp for the BIL, to start.

Then I'd report to the PoPo that you specifically loaned it to your sister (because of the circumstances you mentioned) and he was present when you explained the terms of the loan. Then he TOOK the gun and sold it, even though he knew it did NOT belong to him, or your sister. That is theft.

If your sister blames you for the consequences of his actions, then she has some growing up to do.

After that, Junk Stomp for the BIL. Just in case he recovered from the first one.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You did ask..........................

If my sister's husband did that sh1t to her I'd invite the dirtbag BIL to a hog hunt in the Everglades, preferably somewhere near several large gators. (No hogs would be needed.)

I would then spend the next week consoling sis for her loss.

Presto, better world!

19. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

Thanksgiving dinner will be quite chilly for years to come. I think I'd go with the Bill of Sale route to exonerate you if any unfortunate circumstances arise. The character of your BIL is no longer in question so act accordingly. Pressing charges will only be a burden on your sister who you obviously care about, I'd say forget about it and help out with items that can't be sold or pawned if you are inclined to do so. He sounds like a real winner.

20. bigtiller

bigtiller New Member

You just learned a valuable lesson. Forget the guns and the money. They are gone.

If you want to keep your sister, pay her mortgage for another month and let her know this is the end of the free money. She never has to pay it back, she can never have any more and she has to get a job to help herself out of this hole she has fallen into.