Stoeger/Uberti .357

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by aandabooks, Aug 27, 2013.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Any good? 4 5/8" barrel blued with wood grips for $407. Haven't really heard much about these revolvers.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Good, yes good. Not a Ruger good, but good. These are the same folks that make Beretta and Benelli.

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

For another $50 I could find a Ruger. This isn't one of the case hardened models. I knew about the Beretta/Benelli connection but wasn't sure where the quality stood on the revolvers.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

On this model versus a Ruger, you should ask yourself "what will I use it for?"

If you're like me, and it'll just be a range gun, it's fine. Even still, quite a few people use them in competitions, although it seems many people prefer the Ruger for competing.

It's a fine gun. Decent/fair price, no great deal to write home about.

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I would use it as a range gun. I already have a .357 but the SA cowboy revolvers have always been attractive to me. I'm looking for something on a great deal. They also had a used Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5" stainless for $675. Not much wear but not quite like new either. It's been fired but not used hard.

I'm just addicted to revolvers right now. That's about all I can think about buying.

6. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

I have Rugers, love em,
    but nothing FEELS like a old Colt SAA like these...

Uberti 1873 Cattleman .357 magnum.
    My grandsons favorite to shoot, since he was 8 yrs old.

[​IMG]

Jim

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  7. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

$407 is a good deal. I wouldn't pass it up.
    Here's mine in 45lc.
    [​IMG]

8. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

This one isn't case hardened so its not quite as pretty as the last couple pics. Nice looking revolvers!!!

9. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

Just got the same Uberti Cattleman 1873 in 45lc ,from my LGS NIB, $385 + tx.

Identical to my pic above .except .45LC and 5 1/2" barrel instead of 4 3/4" barrel above.

Just FYI.

Jim

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

Me too. Well. not the only thing I'm thinking about buying. Wouldn't mind doing a 9mm AR build.

But I share your love of wheel guns.

11. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

My opinion, and just that, is that the .357 Magnum cartridge deserves a gun with good adjustable sights, and the Ruger Blackhawk just fills the bill.

With a .357 Magnum, a full ranges of .38 ASpecial and .357 Magnum cartridges are available in a wide selection of bullet weights, plus an unlimited variety of handloads. It takes good adjustable sights to wring out the best of this selection. Plus the Ruger sights just give you a better sight picture than any fixed sight Single Action revovler.

Bob Wright

12. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I have to agree. That is probably why I'm so happy with my 686 and all of the 158gr handloads that I make. I can adjust the site for how hot the load is that I'm shooting. I would have to adjust my POA to stay in the bull with a grooved rear sight revolver. Maybe the Ruger Blackhawk is the gun to set my sites on if I want to scratch this cowboy itch.

13. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

The Uberti has the "4" clicks like the original cowboy guns, the Blackhawk does not. Not a big thing but if you want something closer to the original the Umberti fits the bill. I have both and love them both. I have worked up a load that is very accurate in the Umberti for CAS and used it exclusively when I shoot. I also have a different load for the Blackhawk. I do not shoot the .38 in any of my .357 guns. You might also want to look into a Cimarron Arms cowboy revolver.

14. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Mine does:

[​IMG]

Bob Wright

15. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

What year is it? Pre 1962? They have not made a 4 click model for a long time.

16. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

I've got a Uberti Cattleman. I picked it up new from my lgs for $250 last year. It's nothing fancy, but it shoots great, and I love shooting it.

ForumRunner_20130830_002439.jpg

17. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

If accuracy is what you're looking for then I'd try out a Bisley model. Mine's a flat top target Cimarron with 7 1/2" barrel, which is actually made by Uberti. Cimarron stopped selling them, but Uberti has a very nice Bisley. Mine's a 44-40, but it's a real tack driver and those who said they didn't like a Bisley shot mine over the years and were very impressed. A couple even picked one up. They sure had a reason using this configuration for target shooting. It works for me and maybe it will for you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

This one is a 1958 vintage. But Three-Screw models are still found on the used gun market, especially keep my eye out for unconverted ones. I have one .22, two .357s, and five .44s. One of my .44s is a .44 Special that was a .357 Magnum originally.

Incidentally, 1973 was the beginning of the New Model series.

Bob Wright

19. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

When I saw the pic it looked like pre 1962. The next year they started to have little "wings" on the back sight. Nice gun, wish I could find an older model in such good shape. Most I have seen for sale look pretty bad, but if someone has a nice one they keep it or hand it down.

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

So true the Flat Tops and small grip frames were neat. This is a Ruger Lipsey one of 500 new Flat Tops with an extra cylinder.